Gibson Brands Forums

Lightin' Hopkins

Rabs

One of my all-time guitar heroes - both his brothers played, too, but not as well. Sam (Lightnin'), Joel, and John Henry. Nothing beats regular doses of Po' Lightnin' to keep a man inspired and humble😎

At one time thirty odd years ago had the pleasure of playing blues with Moses Rascoe. When we started he had an old J-50 that got stolen by a nephew needing money for drugs. The realities of the blues life. Now all of the videos that exist show him playing the Yamaha that he bought to replace it.

He is out of tune on a lot of this and he was retired at this point playing shows all over the country. He was included in a movie of Piedmont blues. He died at 73.

At one time thirty odd years ago had the pleasure of playing blues with Moses Rascoe. When we started he had an old J-50 that got stolen by a nephew needing money for drugs. The realities of the blues life. Now all of the videos that exist show him playing the Yamaha that he bought to replace it.

He is out of tune on a lot of this and he was retired at this point playing shows all over the country. He was included in a movie of Piedmont blues. He died at 73.

Interesting pickup jack placement

To Lightenings credit,he is still driving the prices for the miserable sounding Dearmond style pickups. ;-)

Do you think 'crappy' sounding pickups and the like (old blues men with stellas, jack white guitars) add to the quirkiness of the music or would you dream that someone had handed these old dudes top quality guitars ?

Do you think 'crappy' sounding pickups and the like (old blues men with stellas, jack white guitars) add to the quirkiness of the music or would you dream that someone had handed these old dudes top quality guitars ?

The former, without hesitation. Otherwise, the sound we love wouldn't exist - would never have existed, actually. Add silk underwear w/lace trim and the soul disappears😎

To Lightenings credit,he is still driving the prices for the miserable sounding Dearmond style pickups. ;-)

Wish the old originals were less expensive. With all their failings - and there are plenty - nothing else can capture that barrel house, road house, juke joint blues sound in quite the same way. If I ever scored one, it'd justify picking up an old LG hog top Gibson or the Epi equivalent!

Great video adds...

I'll just add that a sound wav file of the above Cotten Freight Train is the sound we have programmed into our work computer systems when a large client order hits our trade blotter electronically....

I need help.

Sal, it's only a matter of time before that day job is history...

Wish the old originals were less expensive.

I got one a few years ago, it wasn't any more expensive than a good contemporary pickup. There's a guy on eBay who refurbishes and sells them, it looked like new and has worked perfectly. Considering the outrageous amounts that people around here spend on guitars, a DeArmond pickup shouldn't be much of a stretch. ;)

I got one a few years ago, it wasn't any more expensive than a good contemporary pickup. There's a guy on eBay who refurbishes and sells them, it looked like new and has worked perfectly. Considering the outrageous amounts that people around here spend on guitars, a DeArmond pickup shouldn't be much of a stretch. ;)

Yeah, I expect you're right. Maybe I'm just getting miserly in my old age😄 Or lazy? The odds of both are pretty good😏 Still, there were dormant phases earlier in life, too....

No, I realize pickup selection was limited as was access to better quality guitars. I appreciate the music in the form that it is and I am a big fan.

More clearly what I was trying to say is, that it is a credit to the man that 35 years after his death there is still a demand for the DeArmond style pickups. I think Lightnin' is more responsible for that than anyone I can think of. As Boyd pointed out he was able to grab one for the cost of a "good" modern pickup. I also agree that they have a certain sound to them, like dragging a metal trash can behind your car.

No, I realize pickup selection was limited as was access to better quality guitars. I appreciate the music in the form that it is and I am a big fan.

More clearly what I was trying to say is, that it is a credit to the man that 35 years after his death there is still a demand for the DeArmond style pickups. I think Lightnin' is more responsible for that than anyone I can think of. As Boyd pointed out he was able to grab one for the cost of a "good" modern pickup. I also agree that they have a certain sound to them, like dragging a metal trash can behind your car.

Oh hey , I wasn't being sarcastic , was just an aside to what you said about the crumby pick up

Oh hey , I wasn't being sarcastic , was just an aside to what you said about the crumby pick up

No, I didn't take it as sarcasm, or even disagreement necessarily. I was just trying to more clearly express what I intended. I appreciate different points of view. I certainly tire of my own.

Archived