Gibson Brands Forums

Whats so Funny About Peace Love and Understanding

fretplay

Nice song, but it's just a song. We've been killing each other since before our ancestors were fighting over which cave was best. Has nothing to do with nationality, religion, race, etc. Those are all just the trappings of being a human. There have always been Hitlers and other crackpots like the guy in North Korea. Today, we have technology that lets the entire world know who they are, but they've always been here with swords or guns. The Chinese slaughtered The Huns and The Huns fled westward and slaughtered the people of Europe. The Romans slaughtered and enslaved The Germanic Tribes, the Sioux slaughtered the Blackfoot and weaker tribes, and so on and on forever. It's who we are and it's who we will remain. Praying won't change it and neither will the next "war to end all wars." We're never going to sit around campfires singing songs and then everyone gets all happy and hugable. Get real! Take care of your loved ones. We're only here for a while. .....My 1:30AM rant is over. Now play your guitar.

It's who we are and it's who we will remain.

Much of what you say is true. However....

"Pessimism as a belief not only becomes a passive set of predictions about the future but also plays a dynamic role in ensuring the deteriorating quality of tomorrow's world." -- H.J. Morowitz

Love the song... I only knew the Elvis Costello version.

And yeah... seems the Golden Rule, with the Be Fcking Nice corollary, could solve 98% of what ails us all.

Yh

Like you Sal I only knew the Elvis Costello version but when I heard Nick Lowe do it I felt it was more real which instigated my recording of the song.

Nice song, but it's just a song. We've been killing each other since before our ancestors were fighting over which cave was best. Has nothing to do with nationality, religion, race, etc. Those are all just the trappings of being a human. There have always been Hitlers and other crackpots like the guy in North Korea. Today, we have technology that lets the entire world know who they are, but they've always been here with swords or guns. The Chinese slaughtered The Huns and The Huns fled westward and slaughtered the people of Europe. The Romans slaughtered and enslaved The Germanic Tribes, the Sioux slaughtered the Blackfoot and weaker tribes, and so on and on forever. It's who we are and it's who we will remain. Praying won't change it and neither will the next "war to end all wars." We're never going to sit around campfires singing songs and then everyone gets all happy and hugable. Get real! Take care of your loved ones. We're only here for a while. .....My 1:30AM rant is over. Now play your guitar.

T

Too true MP, the first World War was started by a Mad assassination in Sarajevo and then we were stupid enough to go into WW11 twenty one years later.

Doesn't anyone read a history book. History has a nasty way of repeating it's self.

MoPickr, Next you'll be telling us that "Blowing In The Wind" didn't move us forward as a people to end all the hate and bullying, not to mention war. That "I Ain't Marching Anymore" didn't convince the radicals on the other side of the world to lay down their arms." Or to stop grabbing 6 year olds to serve as 'soldiers'. I know you can't be suggesting that "The War on Poverty" didn't end poverty. Or that "The War on Drugs" didn't send positive Kumbayahs to the Cartels and cause them to go back to growing coffee beans. Surely a song titled "In The Ghetto" reversed the killing in Chicago.

I'm guessing you don't believe it when 100+ beautiful young women seeking the title of "Miss Universe" tell us their #1 goal is "Whirled Peas". It's this kind of negativity that perpetuates the human condition.

My 8:00pm agreement rant is over.

fortyearspickin, you nailed it, buddy. And I'm not pessimistic. I'm realistic. As you say----it's all there in history...... Guitars, model trains, and (most of the time) my grandkids make me peaceful. Anyway, I don't really worry about all the bullcrap in regards to myself. I worry about what kind of world my grandkids are going to be living in. I hope they all find a way to escape the crap surrounding them. Maybe music will help them as it's helped me.

Here's my favorite version of this good song:

Sorry Willie I couldn't open your link to Keb Mo but I know he did it. I really like The Door, we do it as a band but I've never tried it solo. That has lots of meaning too. I must get the album.

Archived