Gibson Brands Forums

Found the Sweet Spot

Twang Gang

Have had my new Standard for about 10 weeks now and really am enjoying it. Took some getting used to the compound radius fingerboard, and had to get the nut filed a little to help tuning stability but now I really think it is the smoothest playing Gibson I have.

All other Gibsons I own have 57 Classic Humbuckers and so my amp was set up for the way I like those pickups to sound. The new Standard has Burstbucker Pros, and they are a little hotter, and little harsher at the high end of the frequency range, at least to my ear. Even when I tried to roll off the tone controls, on the guitar, a little more than usual, it still seemed a little brighter or harsher than I preferred.

But a couple days ago I turned the treble control on the amp down 1 notch - and there it was THE SWEET SPOT. [love] No more harsh or shrill high end, crystal clear but really full sounding. Now I know this guitar is absolutely a keeper.

amazing. One notch!

Maybe I should have tried this when I tried out a STD with burstbuckers in 2015.

I must admit, I'm one of those who leaves the vol & tone on full and never touch them.

Use your tone and volume controls.. You will get a lot more out of it :)

I must admit, I'm one of those who leaves the vol & tone on full and never touch them.

msp_scared.gif

Amp settings changes slightly with guitar chosen and with my LPs I hardly leave my Tone/Vol knobs alone!

It's been posted a thousand times before and I don't care if you don't like the guy's playing but get someone you trust to handcuff you to a chair and watch this chap's vol/tone twiddling;

Pip.

I have to fiddle with my treble and presence controls depending on which guitar I'm using.

I submit that the 'sweet spot' is a function of volume as well as tone. My valve amps have to be turned up a bit to sing.

Used to do this too but a small adjustment makes a big difference when the volume is up.

And then there is the inclusion of fx pedals.......

Rabs. I have seen the JB video, but I did watch it again. Thanks.

Pip. I watched the GM video, and enjoyed it. He was great. I don’t know what he was doing because I couldn’t see which way he was turning the knobs. It looked like he was just ‘touching’ them. Quite a range of sounds there though. What he was doing was great, but I dont have his sort of rig

jdgm. FX pedals; I dont have any. Nor valves. I got rid of all my valve gear. I now use a signal processor for everything except jazz.

I do realise that the vol & tone controls make a difference. I will very occasionally make some adjustment when playing. But that’s only if I fail to set up the SP properly in the first instance.

I know what I want to sound like. I created a custom tone on the signal processor when I first got it and I’ve never been able to improve upon it. My amp is slaved to flat clean via the FX Loop.

The guitar baseline for this sound is neck pickup at full volume and no treble cut (I only use neck pickups). That’s why I leave knobs on max. So EQ is fixed exactly the way I want it. Volume is controlled with a volume pedal.

With this set up, the tone is not improved by cutting treble. Volume can be, but the subtlety of it is lost on me when playing live.

Practicing? I don’t bother to plug in at all. Yes, I'm a philistine. I've fessed up now.

Have had my new Standard for about 10 weeks now and really am enjoying it. Took some getting used to the compound radius fingerboard, and had to get the nut filed a little to help tuning stability but now I really think it is the smoothest playing Gibson I have.

All other Gibsons I own have 57 Classic Humbuckers and so my amp was set up for the way I like those pickups to sound. The new Standard has Burstbucker Pros, and they are a little hotter, and little harsher at the high end of the frequency range, at least to my ear. Even when I tried to roll off the tone controls, on the guitar, a little more than usual, it still seemed a little brighter or harsher than I preferred.

But a couple days ago I turned the treble control on the amp down 1 notch - and there it was THE SWEET SPOT. [love] No more harsh or shrill high end, crystal clear but really full sounding. Now I know this guitar is absolutely a keeper.

I'm definitely with you there. My new Standard is also a 2017 Standard T and after buying it, I had to fiddle with the tone and volume controls on the amp to get that sweet spot as well. They have such a bite on the mid tones and a very shrilly high, and not as much low. Turning up the bass a little, pulling down the mid and treble on the Marshall did it for me too. I have different settings for my Flying V's and my Les Paul. I put them on a label on top the amp so I don't forget. I love experimenting with new tones on it as well using the push/pull pots and adjusting the volume and tone. Even with the Marshall on high gain, I get a very nice blues tone with the neck volume on about 3, a fairly clean yet smooth sound. I'm definitely loving this guitar too. What color did you get?

Without wishing to turn this into a 'Jumping at Shadows Appreciation Thread'...

I cant help but relate Gary M's 'Jumping at Shadows' to Peter Greens...

I first heard the PGFM version only about five years ago when I was trying to find out more about the song.

It's quite close in feel to Duster Bennett's original - which is hardly surprising considering the ties between DB and PG.

Here's Duster's version;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdvnC_pkkKY

...and a bit of background to the man himself;

https://en.wikipedia.../Duster_Bennett

Pip.

FWIW GM's studio version of this tune (on 'After Hours') is one of only two tracks where I prefer his treatment of a song to PG's (the other being 'Long Grey Mare' from 'Blues for Greeny).

Pip.

I'm definitely with you there. My new Standard is also a 2017 Standard T and after buying it, I had to fiddle with the tone and volume controls on the amp to get that sweet spot as well. They have such a bite on the mid tones and a very shrilly high, and not as much low. Turning up the bass a little, pulling down the mid and treble on the Marshall did it for me too. I have different settings for my Flying V's and my Les Paul. I put them on a label on top the amp so I don't forget. I love experimenting with new tones on it as well using the push/pull pots and adjusting the volume and tone. Even with the Marshall on high gain, I get a very nice blues tone with the neck volume on about 3, a fairly clean yet smooth sound. I'm definitely loving this guitar too. What color did you get?

Honeyburst [thumbup]

Archived