Gibson Brands Forums

Worth a try I guess..

'Scales

It looks cool, worn, used, played, loved. Was it really played by Dylan, Hendrix and Vaughan? I hope there's some really good documentation confirming it. Anyone can beat up a Strat and say Hendrix and Stevie Ray played it, since they're not around to confirm nor deny. If so, does that make it worth a million dollars? Not to me. I'd rather have an $800.00 used Strat off the shelf and play it and wear it in myself. It won't be a 1964 but I don't need it. I definitely like the worn look of it though. It looks authentic, tuning key replacement and all. Really cool but not a million dollars worth of cool to me.

Looking at the other link posted, this is the same guitar and is being sold by Leon Hendrix, Jimi's brother.

I like Jimi a lot and to own one of his instruments, hell even a guitar pick, would be cool. Not a million dollars worth of cool. Not for me anyway. At that price, it would be a collector item, not a guitar to be played. And, I want guitars I'm going to play. It's definitely cool though, regardless of who owned it. Just not a million dollars. Someone will pay it though. Someone with more money than sense. And, it'll probably never get played again. What a shame.

finish wear where a players right arm would rest?? really...

jimi was left handed.

------- gotta call BS on this..

I didn't even think about that when I was looking at the wear. Maybe he (Jimi) bought it incredibly used and worn? We could take Leon's word for it but after watching a special interview with him, I'd call his recollection and memory dubious at best, deceitful at worst. That's my opinion, anyway. Supposedly Bob Dylan and Stevie Ray also played this guitar. If Stevie owned it, that might account for some of the use. Dubious, for sure.

The way I read it was notable players of stratocaster include, SRV, Hendrix, Dylan rather than they specifically owned this guitar. If they owned it you would think the guy would have repeated it about 20 times in the descriptive paragraph and probably charged 2 million.....with 2 grand for shipping. Just my take on it.

Archived