Gibson Brands Forums

SG - difference in pickup mounting?

alfbell

SG Experts:

I was told by a friend that the SGs with the HALF pick guard has the pickups mounted fully and deeply into the wood of the body… while the SGs with the FULL pick guard are not as deeply mounted into the wood of the body and are mounted in or on the pickguard. Is this true?

SG Experts:

I was told by a friend that the SGs with the HALF pick guard has the pickups mounted fully and deeply into the wood of the body… while the SGs with the FULL pick guard are not as deeply mounted into the wood of the body and are mounted in or on the pickguard. Is this true?

The neck pickup is micro meters closer than the flat full pickguard, because the ring is thinner than a 5 ply PG, but the bridge pickup is further away because the PU ring is thicker than the 5 ply PG. the body routs are the same. None of this matters. the biggest difference between two is the lack of angle the full PG has on the bridge PU.

The neck pickup is micro meters closer than the flat full pickguard, because the ring is thinner than a 5 ply PG, but the bridge pickup is further away because the PU ring is thicker than the 5 ply PG. the body routs are the same. None of this matters. the biggest difference between two is the lack of angle the full PG has on the bridge PU.

DiamondJig: Wow, you have a lot of SGs! Thanks for the feedback. I want to ensure I understand your explanation.

1) When you say "micro meters closer"... do you mean closer to the strings? the body? or what?

2) Can you explain what you meant by "the lack of angle the full PG has on the bridge PU"?

3) By "none of this matters" you're saying that the pickup positions on the full or the half PG guitars doesn't have a negative effect on the sound or the pickups performance?

Thanks in advance,

Alfred

Hey Alfred,

When you say "micro meters closer"... do you mean closer to the strings? the body? or what?

I think he means closer to the neck joint.

Can you explain what you meant by "the lack of angle the full PG has on the bridge PU"?

This pic should explain it. (2015 Standard w/490/498t pickups) It does look like the strings are real close to the front edge of the pickup, but this does not interfere with anything. Depending on where you like your pickups adjusted (distance from the strings), the space/gap would be depend a lot on that.

SG-pickup-angle_zpsybzk4bgs.jpg

By "none of this matters" you're saying that the pickup positions on the full or the half PG guitars doesn't have a negative effect on the sound or the pickups performance?

Correct, none of it really matters.

Archived