Gibson Brands Forums

SG - bridge config effecting sustain?

alfbell

SG Experts:

There are the older SGs with the single tailpiece (or stop bridge) and the newer ones that have the tune-o-matic bridge PLUS the stop tailpiece. My first thought is to go with the bridge/tailpiece configuration because it allows intonation adjustments (length) and ability to raise and lower action. But I'm wondering if the guitar with the bridge/tailpiece configuration would have the same sustain as the single tailpiece guitar. Can anyone with experience on both these types of SGs wade in on this with any opinions or observations?

Thanks in advance.

In the myriad of things that results in whatever people call "sustain", I'd say the type of bridge is somewhere near the bottom, along with lots of other guitar configuration things. Guitar players make guitars sustain.

rct

In the myriad of things that results in whatever people call "sustain", I'd say the type of bridge is somewhere near the bottom, along with lots of other guitar configuration things. Guitar players make guitars sustain.

rct

Oh, come now. The wood of the body, and the neck, and how they both are joined, and how they both interact, and the hardware, and any pick guard, all have an effect on how the overall guitar vibrates/resonates and thus can effect sustain. I'm speaking mechanically here and the guitar player is not in the equation. Of course the guitarist's hands, fingers, technique, approach, etc. have so much to do with the sound and tone he gets, but this is a mechanical question.

And there's no question as to what sustain is. It is how long a note continues before it decays and fades out. That is what I'm talking about. Purely mechanical.

Oh, come now. The wood of the body, and the neck, and how they both are joined, and how they both interact, and the hardware, and any pick guard, all have an effect on how the overall guitar vibrates/resonates and thus can effect sustain. I'm speaking mechanically here and the guitar player is not in the equation. Of course the guitarist's hands, fingers, technique, approach, etc. have so much to do with the sound and tone he gets, but this is a mechanical question.

And there's no question as to what sustain is. It is how long a note continues before it decays and fades out. That is what I'm talking about. Purely mechanical.

Ok. You do it your way, find the right bridge for that perfect amount of sustain, and I'll do it my way, getting that perfect amount of sustain no matter what the bridge.

rct

Ok. You do it your way, find the right bridge for that perfect amount of sustain, and I'll do it my way, getting that perfect amount of sustain no matter what the bridge.

rct

My dull fingers meant I needed to go for the maximum sustain pickguard on mine

Picture1_zps612bc7ac.jpg

Are you referring to open string sustain between the bridge and the nut? Material matters. There are a lot of meanings for sustain on a guitar. if you are talking open string sustain, once you play a non open note, it doesn't matter.

rct

No. I'll do it both ways. Cover all of my bases so that I get the best result.

Are you referring to open string sustain between the bridge and the nut? Material matters. There are a lot of meanings for sustain on a guitar. if you are talking open string sustain, once you play a non open note, it doesn't matter.

Yes, I'm talking about how long the note will sustain when you hit an open string. Purely mechanical. Which is a direct reflection on how the guitar is built, what it is made of, etc. And I guess that you could say that after that, you've got your hands and effects as additional variables when talking about sustain.

Archived