Gibson Brands Forums

Yet another sad loss

surfpup

Can't say I was too familiar with him, other than EVH singing his praises and the occasional Guitar World article.

RIP

He was pretty jazzy and complex in general, lots of difficult chords, but a blast to watch live. His fingers always reminded me of spiders crawling across the fret board. I met him once, and he was very unassuming and gracious. He was very surprised that I knew who he was. I think i.o.u was the album that made more guitar guys notice him.

Here's a bit of his work...

And here is the i.o.u album

He was pretty jazzy and complex in general, lots of difficult chords, but a blast to watch live. His fingers always reminded me of spiders crawling across the fret board. I met him once, and he was very unassuming and gracious. He was very surprised that I knew who he was. I think i.o.u was the album that made more guitar guys notice him.

Here's a bit of his work...

And here is the i.o.u album

I can't remember to do important things I'm supposed to do, but I can remember unimportant things from 30 years ago. One of those things is an old Guitar World issue that came with a removable grooved page that could be played on your turn table. It was an Alan Holdsworth song called "Devil Take The Hindmost". I played it a few times, but that issue and the record have long since been gone. The other thing about him that I remember was that he kinda left the guitar for some thing called a synthaxe or something like that. :-k

I'm just going by memory and didn't google any of this. :rolleyes:

But really, it is sad to lose another great artist, no matter how "popular" he might have been.

Sad to hear of Allan's passing.....

Wondering if there were health issues.....seems young, but you never can tell....

A musicians' musician.....hugely respected by his peers.....playing technical virtuousic jazz-fusion lines.....[thumbup]

Probably held the 'Soft Machine' guitar place longer than anyone....[thumbup]

Pioneered the 'Synthaxe' and other electric guitar tonal ideas....

IMHO.....a little bit like the Be-Boppers.....very innovative and interesting.....slightly less appealing to the mainstream....[unsure]

V

:-({|=

The news was broken by his daughter Louise on her Facebook page.

In a short statement she said:

"It is with heavy hearts that we notify everyone of the passing of our beloved father. We would appreciate privacy and time while we grieve the loss of our dad, grandad, friend and musical genius.

We will update close friends and family when service arrangements have been made and will notify the public of an open memorial service, which all would be welcome.

We are undeniably still in shock with his unexpected death and cannot begin to put into words the overwhelming sadness we are experiencing.

He is missed tremendously. Louise, Sam, Emily & Rori."

https://www.gofundme.com/allanholdsworthmemorial

John McLaughlin once said of him: "I'd steal everything Allan was doing, if only I could figure out what the heck it was that he was doing."

Recently released box set "The Man Who Changed Guitar Forever" -

"Twelve CD box set collection featuring all of Allan Holdsworth's solo albums from 1982-2003. That title is no hyperbole-it was a proclamation that ran on the cover of Guitar Player Magazine in 2008, and is a feeling shared by fans and guitarists all around the world. Still, though, Holdsworth remains largely under-rated; many who admire his most famous work have overlooked dozens of fascinating finds to be made on his decades of recordings. This collection is a treasure trove of such discoveries, as it brings you all 11 of his albums as a solo artist, producer and group leader since 1980 plus the live-in-Tokyo album Then! And a 40-page booklet full of liner notes and archival photos. You also get previously unreleased bonus tracks, and all these albums have been newly remastered from the original tapes: I.O.U. (1982), Road Games (1983), Metal Fatigue (1985), Atavachron (1986), Sand (1987), Secrets (1989), Wardenclyffe Tower (1992), Hard Hat Area (1993), None Too Soon (1996), The Sixteen Men Of Tain (2000), Flat Tire (2001) and Then! (2003). These albums, many of which have been out of print and very hard to find for years, include one intriguing composition, ethereal track, dazzling fusion rocker and daredevil guitar passage after another...."

Archived