Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Humingbird New Vintage

Bozz

I finally decided to travel up the freeway yesterday to check out a used 2014 Hummingbird New Vintage for sale at a guitar shop in a city a couple of hours from where I live. After giving it a test drive, I ended up negotiating an agreeable price and bringing it home with me. I haven't had much time with it yet, but it has great tone and is in pristine condition. It is light weight (Under 4 pounds) with a nice round neck profile and is real comfortable to play. I let my J-45 Custom go to make room for it. I have a J-45 Standard and I always reach for that instead of the Custom. The Custom has always felt heavy and little stiff and I never really bonded with it. The Bird is a starkly different animal and I hope it stays around here for many years to come.

IMG_5550_zpst93ijdtn.jpg

IMG_5546_zpsq1gan26k.jpg

A gorgeous guitar (and of course a mind-blowing case). Well done - hopefully you won't regret.

Bringing a Bird back home is something special, , , real special.

As someone said here on the Board : The Hummingbird is like a holy thing to have.

Big words, , , but I instantly saw what he meant. .

We must hear it as soon as you find each other.

Be Happy

A gorgeous guitar (and of course a mind-blowing case). Well done - hopefully you won't regret.

As someone said here on the Board : The Hummingbird is like a holy thing to have.

Be Happy

If I remember right - it was a Troll who said he saw an H'Bird at GC and it had "like a hole thingy right in the middle under the strings".

CONGRATS BOZZ !!! Welcome Home !!

I see yours and I want one again

Sal, , , you need to see a shrink (a word learned while analyzing Alice's Restaurant back in school 1977).

Your now flown burned Bird was among the best and it was a mad move to sell it. Luckily we still have it around - it continues to be aBoard.

Only issue I could see with that one was that it was torrefied, thus not real real, , , which again didn't/doesn't represent a real issue for me.

If you go catching a third Bird, make sure it's a TV, , , fx from 2012.

Then again I shouldn't recommend it. Cannot bear the thought of U letting another HB go.

I think the Hummingbird is one of the prettiest guitars anybody makes. For me, the bling stays just under the line between elegant and over the top. Congratulations. Hope it sounds as nice as it looks.

Be Happy

I am happy! But I know what you mean about regrets. Regrets seem pretty common with guitar flippers. Hopefully that won't come into play for me.

Very nice and a fine companion for your Standard☺

Thanks. My Standard is not really a "standard". Its an Iced Tea with standard tonewoods. Here is a pick of them both.

IMG_5557_zps8cr4gzzk.jpg

If I remember right - it was a Troll who said he saw an H'Bird at GC and it had "like a hole thingy right in the middle under the strings".

CONGRATS BOZZ !!! Welcome Home !!

Haha. Good one!

Gorgeous guitar.

I can't quite understand my relationship with Hummingbirds. I've owned two, and they were great to play, and I liked the sound. I still cant explain why I sold mine. And repurchased them.

I see yours and I want one again :)

Sorry Sal. It doesn't take much to get a guy going, does it?

Sal, , , you need to see a shrink (a word learned while analyzing Alice's Restaurant back in school 1977).

Your now flown burned Bird was among the best and it was a mad move to sell it. Luckily we still have it around - it continues to be aBoard.

Only issue I could see with that one was that it was torrefied, thus not real real, , , which again didn't/don't represent a real issue for me.

If you go catching a third Bird, make sure it's a TV, , , fx from 2012.

Then again I shouldn't recommend it. Cannot bear the thought of U letting another HB go.

I am convinced, it was not the cooked top, but the light weight and build, that made it sound so swell. If I take the plunge again in the future, the lightness of the build would be very important to me...

I think I will not have any NGD occasions for some while. I'll have one in August of this year... but I am feeling little in want. Nearly every time I pick up a guitar, it's my J50.

I am convinced, it was not the cooked top, but the light weight and build, that made it sound so swell.

Nearly every time I pick up a guitar, it's my J50.

'Kay then, , , but burned spruce means dry spruce and dry means light, doesn't it. I just remember enjoying that Bird every time it was on.

Anyway, , , the still growing J-50 connection is a good sign - hope things glide forward with the band.

Congratulations on the Hummingbird Vintage. They are great guitars ! I love mine. I seem to play it more than any of my other guitars. My D-18 & J-15 are seeing less playing time. There's just something about that tone that draws me in. Enjoy yours.

Archived