• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

P90's or mini Humbuckers?.

#61 User is offline   pippy 

• Group: Members
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:45 AM

View PostAllenjason95, on 20 April 2017 - 05:47 AM, said:

..."Can I please ask" is asking if you can ask a question...

Posted Image

Not if the words following-on are the issue(s) being asked.

"Can I ask you if I can ask a question?" is asking if one can ask a question.

The English language isn't your strong point, is it?

Anyhow; I've already made my views on the relative merits of P-90s, Mini-Hums and full 'buckers clear to the OP.

Pip.

#62 User is offline   'Scales 

• Lurking at the threshold
  • Locationpeace

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

View Postpippy, on 20 April 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

[biggrin] not sure I totally agree Pip - since your question could also be appropriately answered with a "yes" or "no" as it could with a definition of the tone being enquired about, I think I'd call it a draw on that.

(Just for fun mate - wot with English not bein my gig neither). 'S
we had longer ways to go, but no matter, the road is life.
(musical stuff)

#63 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

View Post'Scales, on 20 April 2017 - 06:58 AM, said:

(Just for fun mate - wot with English not bein my gig neither). 'S...

Posted Image

You do realise I'm breaking all the rules of gentlemanly protocol by interacting with you chaps without first having exchanged formal letters of introduction?

If we're going to be pedantic;
Had my original question been separated into two sentences; "Can I please ask the OP a question? What, exactly, is he/she looking for tone-wise from a 'Gibson'?" then you would be spot-on. As it stands - as one sentence - the question is 'directly inferred' and, therefore, no further clarification of the questioner's intent is required. To do so would be tautological.

Whilst you are 100% correct that my question could be answered by a simple 'Yes' or 'No' anyone behaving in this way would be, obviously, a bad person and probably hail from some New World province and former colony...

Posted Image

And +1 for The Stooges!

Posted Image

Pip.

#64 User is offline   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:46 AM

View PostAllenjason95, on 19 April 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

...That's why guitar companies give big name guitar players guitars or even pay them to play and endorse guitars...

Big name guitar players pay for the guitars they have. Lot's less than you and me, but they pay for them.

Signature guitars net the signature 5% of dealer cost. If you know how business works you can cypher that up to being not a whole lot of money. If someone is living on getting paid for playing something they are living very badly.

Big name guitar players get better service than the rest of us. Of course, when you and I are out in some strange town three hundred miles from home and something breaks, we could really use good service. When Big Name Guitar Player is three hundred miles from home and something breaks, he uses one of the 4 spares that cost him what one costs us. So exactly the guy that doesn't need expedited service is the exactly the guy that gets it, the rest of us can hope for a decent shop before the next stop.

Margins in guitar making are slim at best. No guitar company can last long giving stuff away and paying out to people to play them. The money to the signature is token at best, the advertising value the signature gives the brand is large.

rct

#65 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:22 AM

I think what's being asked is: "I like my Telecaster and would love to get that sound out of a Gibson. Is it possible to get that sound and tone out of a Gibson? And, if so, which one would be best for that?

View Postbblooz, on 19 April 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

P=90s will give you that single-coil "growl" that is kind of raw - not unlike what you are used to in your Tele-style guitars. If you get a LP Deluxe with mini-hums, you'll find the neck pickup to be real smooth and creamy, without the mud sometimes attributed to that position with a full-sized PAF-type PU. The bridge, however, is a totally different animal, giving a real bite that you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that tone really reminiscent of a Tele. Try it, you'll like it. Good luck with your search.

This seems like a pretty direct answer. The new Les Paul with the coil tap sounds pretty sweet in the bridge position. It's not too muddy through my Marshall, particularly through the "clean" channel, using different settings. It has a pretty bright sound for a neck humbucker and I believe they're the Burstbucker Pro pickups. There's a lot of brightness in these pickups and I love the sound. I don't have experience with the P90 or mini though. I just thought I would give my experience with the 2017 Les Paul Standard.

And, it also depends on what you are you looking to spend as well. That will play a huge factor in your decision. I saw a few videos comparing the various tones. And, I found this article for you as well. http://www.gibson.co...-0309-2011.aspx

Good luck in finding that sound.

#66 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

View PostTelecaster72, on 17 April 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

It should be fun to play them all. I must think of specific chords that would help me decide :)...

...or specific solos?
This one sounded quite good on a P-90 equipped Les Paul. Skip to around the 4:10 mark or so;

Pip.

#67 User is offline   jdgm 

• Now's The Time!
  • LocationIt's nice to be anywhere

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

View Postpippy, on 20 April 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

.....a P-90 equipped Les Paul.

[thumbup]

Let's just see/read that again -

View Postpippy, on 20 April 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

.....a P-90 equipped Les Paul.

[flapper]
[laugh]

Best wishes to all.

#68 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

And again? Just in case anyone missed the salient point(s) here;

View Postjdgm, on 20 April 2017 - 11:27 AM, said:

".....a P-90 equipped Les Paul....."

Best wishes to all.

And best wishes right back at you, jdgm!

Posted Image

Pip.

#69 User is offline   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

Posted Image

rct

#70 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

Posted Image

Pip.

#71 User is offline   jdgm 

• Now's The Time!
  • LocationIt's nice to be anywhere

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

View Postrct, on 20 April 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

Posted Image

rct

[thumbup]

You da Meme King, Ah-See-Tee. [tongue]

#72 User is offline   Telecaster72 

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:20 PM

MichaelT, on 20 April 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

I think what's being asked is: "I like my Telecaster and would love to get that sound out of a Gibson. Is it possible to get that sound and tone out of a Gibson? And, if so, which one would be best for that?

This seems like a pretty direct answer. The new Les Paul with the coil tap sounds pretty sweet in the bridge position. It's not too muddy through my Marshall, particularly through the "clean" channel, using different settings. It has a pretty bright sound for a neck humbucker and I believe they're the Burstbucker Pro pickups. There's a lot of brightness in these pickups and I love the sound. I don't have experience with the P90 or mini though. I just thought I would give my experience with the 2017 Les Paul Standard.

And, it also depends on what you are you looking to spend as well. That will play a huge factor in your decision. I saw a few videos comparing the various tones. And, I found this article for you as well. http://www.gibson.co...-0309-2011.aspx

Good luck in finding that sound.

I've read rave reviews about the Burstbuckers Pro. Also worth checking out.

#73 User is offline   Telecaster72 

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:26 PM

'Scales, on 20 April 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

Side 1 of Fun House by The Stooges - IMO it doesn't get much better than that!

Certainly, the World was less ready for them in 1970. Nobody sounded like them in that year.

#74 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:23 AM

View PostTelecaster72, on 20 April 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

I've read rave reviews about the Burstbuckers Pro. Also worth checking out.

I like mine and the coil tap is pretty fun too. Lots of tone out of a single guitar. Let us know what you decide on and if you find that perfect sound. I think what a few people might be saying is a P90 in a Les Paul is your best bet. Good luck.

#75 User is offline   Allenjason95 

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

View Postpippy, on 20 April 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

Posted Image

"Can I ask you if I can ask a question?" is asking if one can ask a question.

The English language isn't your strong point, is it?

Anyhow; I've already made my views on the relative merits of P-90s, Mini-Hums and full 'buckers clear to the OP.

Pip.

Can I please ask the OP

You literally said "can I please ask the OP" dude. That's asking for permission to ask a question. You're making yourself sound silly by denying it and then accusing me of not understanding the English language.

Otherwise... as I've already pointed out.....you would have just asked "what tone are you looking for". The "can I please ask" is totally unneeded.....the "can I please ask" part is just you asking for permission to ask a question.

You're obviously an English professor lol.

#76 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• I doubt I'm entitled to a title
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:51 AM

View PostAllenjason95, on 21 April 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

Can I please ask the OP

You literally said "can I please ask the OP" dude. That's asking for permission to ask a question. You're making yourself sound silly by denying it and then accusing me of not understanding the English language.

Otherwise... as I've already pointed out.....you would have just asked "what tone are you looking for". The "can I please ask" is totally unneeded.....the "can I please ask" part is just you asking for permission to ask a question.

So said the tone monk to the tone master.
And the tone master answered 'Its not a question of grammar, but logic.'

'and how does knowing this help me find tone?'

'Do not take that tone with me' said the master.

at that moment, the pupil found enlightenment. He took his soldering iron and wired a P90 in the neck position and a mini humbucker at the bridge.
Hagstrom Deuce / Fylde Acoustic / Variax Standard / Gibson ES-339 / Gibson LP Less+ / PRS SE Custom24 / Hofner HCT-J17 / Camps Spanish / Jackson Soloist / Rickenbacker 650 /Squier Esprit
Miele S5 Power 2200w Vacuum Cleaner
Makita BO3710 Finishing Sander
Verdict 6" vernier scale calipers
Whittard of Chelsea Florence blue teapot
Spear & Jackson 1712PF/INS12 trenching fork

Posted Image put the kettle on
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#77 User is offline   Telecaster72 

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:37 AM

MichaelT, on 21 April 2017 - 07:23 AM, said:

I like mine and the coil tap is pretty fun too. Lots of tone out of a single guitar. Let us know what you decide on and if you find that perfect sound. I think what a few people might be saying is a P90 in a Les Paul is your best bet. Good luck.

Thanks. It's a question of taking my amp and my OD pedal to the place where the guitar is sold, and try several chords and solos to see which one I will pick. There's a very nice yellow LP jr. not far away from where I live.

#78 User is offline   Telecaster72 

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:41 AM

Allenjason95, on 21 April 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

Can I please ask the OP

One of the things I really like about Fender's single coils is that, on overdriven settings, they allow you to hear each and every string very clearly in every chord. I'm basically looking for a similar clarity, but in a fatter (more mids and bass), and hotter format (excluding active HB, which are a bit too harsh for my taste). Hum cancelling capability would be a plus, but it's not essential. And yes, I'd like a bit darker sound.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users