• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

P90's or mini Humbuckers?.

#81 User is offline   tx-ogre 

• My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama
  • Group: Members
  • LocationJoe's Garage

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

I owned a Gibson Firebird VII with 3 minis. Good unique sound, with the best tone coming from the neck pickup. I also own a Gibson '67 SG Special Reissue with P-90s that I really like. Have never owned or played a LP with P-90s or minis.

#82 User is offline   SteveFord 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:37 PM

There is the Firebird to consider along with the Gibson models with the humbuckers and VariTone. You can get an awful lot of different sounds with the humbucker/VariTone combination.
A buddy of mine has a 70s Les Paul gold top with the mini humbuckers and it was a very clean sounding guitar although I never heard it really cranked up.

For the P90s, I've had them in a Les Paul Special, a Les Paul Double Cutaway, an old SG-style Les Paul Jr. from the early 60s and in a later SG Classic.
They sounded best, to my ears, in the SG Classic but I hated the neck on that particular guitar so off it went to a new home.

Choosing between a Firebird and a Lucille, well, that would be a tough call so I'll keep both.

Hope this helps some.
The poodle bites, the poodle chews it

#83 User is offline   Telecaster72 

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

MichaelT, on 25 April 2017 - 07:03 AM, said:

I'd love to hear how this works out for you and which you choose. Please update us (with pictures, of course) of your choice. Good luck.

I certainly will. So many choices out there!.

#84 User is offline   Telecaster72 

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

tx-ogre, on 25 April 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

I owned a Gibson Firebird VII with 3 minis. Good unique sound, with the best tone coming from the neck pickup. I also own a Gibson '67 SG Special Reissue with P-90s that I really like. Have never owned or played a LP with P-90s or minis.

All things being equal, the LP with P90's, in theory, should have more bass and more high frequencies. But I have to hear them all.

#85 User is offline   Telecaster72 

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

SteveFord, on 25 April 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

There is the Firebird to consider along with the Gibson models with the humbuckers and VariTone. You can get an awful lot of different sounds with the humbucker/VariTone combination.
A buddy of mine has a 70s Les Paul gold top with the mini humbuckers and it was a very clean sounding guitar although I never heard it really cranked up.

For the P90s, I've had them in a Les Paul Special, a Les Paul Double Cutaway, an old SG-style Les Paul Jr. from the early 60s and in a later SG Classic.
They sounded best, to my ears, in the SG Classic but I hated the neck on that particular guitar so off it went to a new home.

Choosing between a Firebird and a Lucille, well, that would be a tough call so I'll keep both.

Hope this helps some.

Being a hard rock and metal fan, I'd probably lean towards the P90's. I even use my Tele for that kind of music (it has a Broadcaster style bridge pickup that's surprisingly fat sounding with overdrive).

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users