Gibson Brands Forums

P90's or mini Humbuckers?.

Telecaster72

Can I please ask the OP

You literally said "can I please ask the OP" dude. That's asking for permission to ask a question. You're making yourself sound silly by denying it and then accusing me of not understanding the English language.

Otherwise... as I've already pointed out.....you would have just asked "what tone are you looking for". The "can I please ask" is totally unneeded.....the "can I please ask" part is just you asking for permission to ask a question.

You're obviously an English professor lol.

So said the tone monk to the tone master.

And the tone master answered 'Its not a question of grammar, but logic.'

'and how does knowing this help me find tone?'

'Do not take that tone with me' said the master.

at that moment, the pupil found enlightenment. He took his soldering iron and wired a P90 in the neck position and a mini humbucker at the bridge.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like mine and the coil tap is pretty fun too. Lots of tone out of a single guitar. Let us know what you decide on and if you find that perfect sound. I think what a few people might be saying is a P90 in a Les Paul is your best bet. Good luck.

Thanks. It's a question of taking my amp and my OD pedal to the place where the guitar is sold, and try several chords and solos to see which one I will pick. There's a very nice yellow LP jr. not far away from where I live.

Can I please ask the OP

You literally said "can I please ask the OP" dude. That's asking for permission to ask a question. You're making yourself sound silly by denying it and then accusing me of not understanding the English language.

Otherwise... as I've already pointed out.....you would have just asked "what tone are you looking for". The "can I please ask" is totally unneeded.....the "can I please ask" part is just you asking for permission to ask a question.

You're obviously an English professor lol.

One of the things I really like about Fender's single coils is that, on overdriven settings, they allow you to hear each and every string very clearly in every chord. I'm basically looking for a similar clarity, but in a fatter (more mids and bass), and hotter format (excluding active HB, which are a bit too harsh for my taste). Hum cancelling capability would be a plus, but it's not essential. And yes, I'd like a bit darker sound.

I've always liked both! As well as regular full sized humbuckers. Just depends on Your needs, and/or preferences.

Epiphone AIUSA Sheraton, mini-humbuckers. I especially like them, in this particular guitar! Especially, in the neck position,

as it's more articulate, and less "muddy" all settings being the same.

http://s461.photobucket.com/user/charliebrown1949/media/DSC_0235.jpg.html?sort=6&o=10

Gibson "Faded" series double cut LP Special, P-90's...awesome "Growl," and sweet, "rounded," clean tone.

http://s461.photobucket.com/user/charliebrown1949/media/DSC_0027.jpg.html?sort=6&o=63

1976 Les Paul Deluxe, mini-humbuckers. Brighter/edgier, overall...but, in a Good Way!

http://s461.photobucket.com/user/charliebrown1949/media/1ae53ac4-e1ed-47c6-a397-f234ff8333c4_zps7622db5f.jpg.html?sort=6&o=208

I LOVE the sound of ALL of them, even though they ALL sound different!

CB

I owned a Gibson Firebird VII with 3 minis. Good unique sound, with the best tone coming from the neck pickup. I also own a Gibson '67 SG Special Reissue with P-90s that I really like. Have never owned or played a LP with P-90s or minis.

There is the Firebird to consider along with the Gibson models with the humbuckers and VariTone. You can get an awful lot of different sounds with the humbucker/VariTone combination.

A buddy of mine has a 70s Les Paul gold top with the mini humbuckers and it was a very clean sounding guitar although I never heard it really cranked up.

For the P90s, I've had them in a Les Paul Special, a Les Paul Double Cutaway, an old SG-style Les Paul Jr. from the early 60s and in a later SG Classic.

They sounded best, to my ears, in the SG Classic but I hated the neck on that particular guitar so off it went to a new home.

Choosing between a Firebird and a Lucille, well, that would be a tough call so I'll keep both.

Hope this helps some.

I owned a Gibson Firebird VII with 3 minis. Good unique sound, with the best tone coming from the neck pickup. I also own a Gibson '67 SG Special Reissue with P-90s that I really like. Have never owned or played a LP with P-90s or minis.

All things being equal, the LP with P90's, in theory, should have more bass and more high frequencies. But I have to hear them all.

There is the Firebird to consider along with the Gibson models with the humbuckers and VariTone. You can get an awful lot of different sounds with the humbucker/VariTone combination.

A buddy of mine has a 70s Les Paul gold top with the mini humbuckers and it was a very clean sounding guitar although I never heard it really cranked up.

For the P90s, I've had them in a Les Paul Special, a Les Paul Double Cutaway, an old SG-style Les Paul Jr. from the early 60s and in a later SG Classic.

They sounded best, to my ears, in the SG Classic but I hated the neck on that particular guitar so off it went to a new home.

Choosing between a Firebird and a Lucille, well, that would be a tough call so I'll keep both.

Hope this helps some.

Being a hard rock and metal fan, I'd probably lean towards the P90's. I even use my Tele for that kind of music (it has a Broadcaster style bridge pickup that's surprisingly fat sounding with overdrive).

Archived