Gibson Brands Forums

P90's or mini Humbuckers?.

Telecaster72

A lot of people didn't like the necks on the 15s, but out of all the changes that's the only one I actually like. The headstock signature was butt ugly, the cases looked ridiculous (right Spock?), I didn't care one way or the other about the brass nut.....but I really like the wider neck.

If you're interested in a Junior with a P90 you should definitely check out the 15s.

I will, for sure. This might sound a bit silly, but I checked the Custom 72 Tele because of Keith Richards (I loved the guitar fron the get go and bought it), and I will check the Junior because of Richards.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will, for sure. This might sound a bit silly, but I checked the Custom 72 Tele because of Keith Richards (I loved the guitar fron the get go and bought it), and I will check the Junior because of Richards.

That's not silly at all, I play mostly Les Pauls because of Steve Jones. I got a Deluxe because Pete Townshend played them (although his were heavily modified) and I first got interested in Juniors mainly because of Johnny Thunders. Most people are attracted to a model because of their guitar heroes. That's why guitar companies give big name guitar players guitars or even pay them to play and endorse guitars, because they know if a kid sees their hero playing a guitar model or brand the kid will want that guitar.

swing by the Gibson (or Epiphone) Lounge sometime, where whole threads are dedicated to such epic questions as these...

I can just see some of these guys at work around the ol' water cooler:

Coworker: hey, what did you think of that game last night? Best game I've seen in a long time! I couldn't believe that final drive!

Gibson board member: That's not such an easy question to answer because we all have different tastes. Some people like low scoring games, others like shootouts. Some people like teams with great passing offenses while others like a strong, powerful run game. Some people like the Fox broadcasting team some people prefer CBS. I can't tell you what I thought of the game last night there are just too many variables and I don't have enough information on exactly what you're looking for. You need to watch the game and decide for yourself.

Coworker: uhhh...I did watch the game....I thought it was great....I was just wondering what you thought of it?

Gibson Board Member: I can't answer that without more information. Can I ask you what type of teams do you like? Would you prefer a great offense or a great defense? Do you prefer teams that play in domes or outdoors? Do you prefer...

Coworker: look, it was nice talking to you but I have to get back to work.

Gibson Board Member: But.....I need more information........

Do you have something against people being polite?

Pip.

Against being polite? No.

But asking if you can ask him a question on a message forum where the whole point is to interact with each other is pretty absurd.

I mean "can I please ask"? Yes.......obviously you can ask him a question ......why wouldn't you be able to ask him? You're the only one here asking for permission simply to even ask him a question as far as I can tell but more power to you I guess.

...But asking if you can ask him a question...

Re-read my post. I did not ask the OP if I could ask a question.

I asked, directly and clearly, three separate questions - none of which, incidentally, has been answered.

Pip.

Re-read my post. I did not ask the OP if I could ask a question.

I asked, directly and clearly, three separate questions - none of which, incidentally, has been answered.

Pip.

"Can I please ask the OP what, exactly, he/she is looking for tone-wise from a Gibson?"

Yes you did. "Can I please ask" is asking if you can ask a question.

Here's how a normal person would have asked: "hey OP, what exactly are you looking for tone wise?"

Like I keep saying, it's not that complicated.

That's not silly at all, I play mostly Les Pauls because of Steve Jones. I got a Deluxe because Pete Townshend played them (although his were heavily modified) and I first got interested in Juniors mainly because of Johnny Thunders. Most people are attracted to a model because of their guitar heroes. That's why guitar companies give big name guitar players guitars or even pay them to play and endorse guitars, because they know if a kid sees their hero playing a guitar model or brand the kid will want that guitar.

You know, a few weeks ago I sat down and listened to a couple of so called "Proto Punk" bands (New York Dolls, Raw Power era Iggy and The Stooges). All I can say is that the World wasn't ready for them in 1973 (too bad, because they disbanded pretty soon).

You know, a few weeks ago I sat down and listened to a couple of so called "Proto Punk" bands (New York Dolls, Raw Power era Iggy and The Stooges). All I can say is that the World wasn't ready for them in 1973 (too bad, because they disbanded pretty soon).

Side 1 of Fun House by The Stooges - IMO it doesn't get much better than that!

..."Can I please ask" is asking if you can ask a question...

eusa_wall.gif

Not if the words following-on are the issue(s) being asked.

"Can I ask you if I can ask a question?" is asking if one can ask a question.

The English language isn't your strong point, is it?

Anyhow; I've already made my views on the relative merits of P-90s, Mini-Hums and full 'buckers clear to the OP.

Pip.

[biggrin] not sure I totally agree Pip - since your question could also be appropriately answered with a "yes" or "no" as it could with a definition of the tone being enquired about, I think I'd call it a draw on that.

(Just for fun mate - wot with English not bein my gig neither). 'S

(Just for fun mate - wot with English not bein my gig neither). 'S...

msp_laugh.gif

You do realise I'm breaking all the rules of gentlemanly protocol by interacting with you chaps without first having exchanged formal letters of introduction?

If we're going to be pedantic;

Had my original question been separated into two sentences; "Can I please ask the OP a question? What, exactly, is he/she looking for tone-wise from a 'Gibson'?" then you would be spot-on. As it stands - as one sentence - the question is 'directly inferred' and, therefore, no further clarification of the questioner's intent is required. To do so would be tautological.

Whilst you are 100% correct that my question could be answered by a simple 'Yes' or 'No' anyone behaving in this way would be, obviously, a bad person and probably hail from some New World province and former colony...

msp_tongue.gif

And +1 for The Stooges!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

...That's why guitar companies give big name guitar players guitars or even pay them to play and endorse guitars...

Big name guitar players pay for the guitars they have. Lot's less than you and me, but they pay for them.

Signature guitars net the signature 5% of dealer cost. If you know how business works you can cypher that up to being not a whole lot of money. If someone is living on getting paid for playing something they are living very badly.

Big name guitar players get better service than the rest of us. Of course, when you and I are out in some strange town three hundred miles from home and something breaks, we could really use good service. When Big Name Guitar Player is three hundred miles from home and something breaks, he uses one of the 4 spares that cost him what one costs us. So exactly the guy that doesn't need expedited service is the exactly the guy that gets it, the rest of us can hope for a decent shop before the next stop.

Margins in guitar making are slim at best. No guitar company can last long giving stuff away and paying out to people to play them. The money to the signature is token at best, the advertising value the signature gives the brand is large.

rct

I think what's being asked is: "I like my Telecaster and would love to get that sound out of a Gibson. Is it possible to get that sound and tone out of a Gibson? And, if so, which one would be best for that?

P=90s will give you that single-coil "growl" that is kind of raw - not unlike what you are used to in your Tele-style guitars. If you get a LP Deluxe with mini-hums, you'll find the neck pickup to be real smooth and creamy, without the mud sometimes attributed to that position with a full-sized PAF-type PU. The bridge, however, is a totally different animal, giving a real bite that you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that tone really reminiscent of a Tele. Try it, you'll like it. Good luck with your search.

This seems like a pretty direct answer. The new Les Paul with the coil tap sounds pretty sweet in the bridge position. It's not too muddy through my Marshall, particularly through the "clean" channel, using different settings. It has a pretty bright sound for a neck humbucker and I believe they're the Burstbucker Pro pickups. There's a lot of brightness in these pickups and I love the sound. I don't have experience with the P90 or mini though. I just thought I would give my experience with the 2017 Les Paul Standard.

And, it also depends on what you are you looking to spend as well. That will play a huge factor in your decision. I saw a few videos comparing the various tones. And, I found this article for you as well. http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/tone-hunting-0309-2011.aspx

Good luck in finding that sound.

It should be fun to play them all. I must think of specific chords that would help me decide :)...

...or specific solos?

This one sounded quite good on a P-90 equipped Les Paul. Skip to around the 4:10 mark or so;

Pip.

I think what's being asked is: "I like my Telecaster and would love to get that sound out of a Gibson. Is it possible to get that sound and tone out of a Gibson? And, if so, which one would be best for that?

This seems like a pretty direct answer. The new Les Paul with the coil tap sounds pretty sweet in the bridge position. It's not too muddy through my Marshall, particularly through the "clean" channel, using different settings. It has a pretty bright sound for a neck humbucker and I believe they're the Burstbucker Pro pickups. There's a lot of brightness in these pickups and I love the sound. I don't have experience with the P90 or mini though. I just thought I would give my experience with the 2017 Les Paul Standard.

And, it also depends on what you are you looking to spend as well. That will play a huge factor in your decision. I saw a few videos comparing the various tones. And, I found this article for you as well. http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/tone-hunting-0309-2011.aspx

Good luck in finding that sound.

I've read rave reviews about the Burstbuckers Pro. Also worth checking out.

I've read rave reviews about the Burstbuckers Pro. Also worth checking out.

I like mine and the coil tap is pretty fun too. Lots of tone out of a single guitar. Let us know what you decide on and if you find that perfect sound. I think what a few people might be saying is a P90 in a Les Paul is your best bet. Good luck.

eusa_wall.gif

"Can I ask you if I can ask a question?" is asking if one can ask a question.

The English language isn't your strong point, is it?

Anyhow; I've already made my views on the relative merits of P-90s, Mini-Hums and full 'buckers clear to the OP.

Pip.

Can I please ask the OP

You literally said "can I please ask the OP" dude. That's asking for permission to ask a question. You're making yourself sound silly by denying it and then accusing me of not understanding the English language.

Otherwise... as I've already pointed out.....you would have just asked "what tone are you looking for". The "can I please ask" is totally unneeded.....the "can I please ask" part is just you asking for permission to ask a question.

You're obviously an English professor lol.

Archived