Gibson Brands Forums

Recommendations for a pre-cut J 45 Standard Nut

Proclaimer888

Hey folks! Thinking on replacing the nut on my J-45 Standard and looking for recommendations. Looking for a pre-cut nut to replace the original with minimal modifications. I have seen a few options (Tusq), Tone Ninja) online but I have found no reviews of J-45 owners reviewing the product...ie; the fit, sound, ect. I am willing to do some minor sanding and filing but nothing major. This all started with the dreaded "b" string ping sound that has been present since the guitar was purchased new. Only happens when the string is open. I checked frets, neck relief, saddle, string height at various positions, loose parts with no answers. I am concluding that the nut angle might be a bit off, in other words, I need a more aggressive angle cut towards the head of the guitar if that makes any sense. Otherwise, I have spoken with an authorized Gibson dealer who will install a nut for me. Problem is the 2 hr drive and $$. Anyway, would appreciate any recommendations on this. Thanks!!

Only happens when the string is open.

That would tend to indicate an improper nut slot for that string, and if that is the case, the slot could be corrected on the existing nut: re-filing or filling and recutting. From what you've said here I don't think you need to go as far as a new nut. Something else we don't know?

I've had that issue myself recently where the high E string would give off particularly sharp overtones, especially when playing 12th-fret harmonics. (Harmonics are a good test for you too, same with playing the same affected note on a different string, or dropping the tuning of the string one halfstep down.) In the end I fixed the issue by ever so slightly grazing the respective nut slot with a very fine needle so as to eliminate any obstacles the string might be swinging or rattling against.

I'd advise against pre-fit nuts, though I've been told there be some out there specifically made for the J-45 (see Stewmac here)—but then again every instrument is different; perhaps others have more experience with that. Cutting a new nut isn't a big deal for a luthier and doesn't cost much (50 bucks tops in the States?), especially considering that you acquired a high-end instrument; oftentimes the luthier will also greatly improve upon the original nut in all aspects and according to your preferences as a player which greatly benefits the instrument's playability.

I agree with Buck. I refill the slot with a paste I make from dust from like material and super glue gel. The gel takes a little more time to cure but it's easier to work with. Just mask everything around it. If you're willing to replace the nut, you have nothing to loose trying to fix the one you have first. I've repaired plastic, bone, tusq, graphite and Rosewood with no problems.

Best of Luck!

As people are already saying, it's probably just that slot is wee bit too tight.

Before you go changing things out, lubricate it first and see how that works out. Just try a dab of Vaseline if you don't have a proper lube agent (eg: Big Bends Nut Sauce is a crowd favorite.) Once the lub dries out or wears off, it'll return so it's not a perm fix but it WILL tell you what you need to know.

As others have mentioned, that B string slot just probably just needs a little TLC, then use graphite, vaseline, or any kind of string lube that's sold commercially and your good as gold. Otherwise you can just order new OEM nut off of Amazon since the stock nut is Tusq, but really I doubt you need to replace the entire nut just because the B string slot needs to be addressed.

Hi again folks...Big thanks for all the info/advise. So, I did a few things. Purchased a handy little file pack made for cleaning welding tips. I must say, a cool little tool, My linknot only for my use but for all sorts of things...8 bucks. Basically they are toothpick size files of various diameter. I found the appropriate size file for the nut cut width and cautiously made some swipes with the file...remembering to angle back from the leading edge of the nut to insure the nut has a defined point for string contact and not simply cut flat, parallel to the fingerboard. I also reexamined the saddle for any issues....none. I did as some recommended, do the pencil lead trick after dressing up the nut. Tied a sock across the strings behind the nut to see if there were any mysterious vibrations going on. Ran outa time but will again address the height of the nut cut height.....although it appears fine. Well, this has been a fun little learning experience and purchased a cool little tool for all sotrta uses. I will keep updating as I work on the "ping" sound. I forgot to mention, this is not the ping sound made when tuning up the string. Cheers!

Hi again folks...Big thanks for all the info/advise. So, I did a few things. Purchased a handy little file pack made for cleaning welding tips. I must say, a cool little tool, My linknot only for my use but for all sorts of things...8 bucks. Basically they are toothpick size files of various diameter. I found the appropriate size file for the nut cut width and cautiously made some swipes with the file...remembering to angle back from the leading edge of the nut to insure the nut has a defined point for string contact and not simply cut flat, parallel to the fingerboard. I also reexamined the saddle for any issues....none. I did as some recommended, do the pencil lead trick after dressing up the nut. Tied a sock across the strings behind the nut to see if there were any mysterious vibrations going on. Ran outa time but will again address the height of the nut cut height.....although it appears fine. Well, this has been a fun little learning experience and purchased a cool little tool for all sotrta uses. I will keep updating as I work on the "ping" sound. I forgot to mention, this is not the ping sound made when tuning up the string. Cheers!

Thanks for the tip with the welding cleaning tools, I'll get that one for sure. Hope you can sort out your issue.

So an update to the mysterious B string ping.......After weighing all possible causes for the B string ping, it had to be either the nut or my cunning ability to hear supersonic, high frequency, b string ping that very few are blessed to hear...I think my dogs hear it. I did upgrade the saddle to bone and thanks to Bob at GuitarSaddles.com. Cant tell ya how great it is to purchase a product and have very personable service. So, moving onto the nut. I had a few TUSQ picks that I never use....got out the file and made some magic TUSQ dust. Filled the nut, added Super B string ping glue and waited. Used my welder tip files to re-cut the slot and....Well, seems the problem is solved. Was either the nut was too low or just not cut to my guitars liking? Only thing now is the magic TUSQ dust was white and the nut, black. Hey, I see a song there....So a few strokes with a fine tip black marker and hope to close the door on my b string blues. Thanks to the Gibson Forum for all the insight and help with my issue!

Glad it was a fairly easy fix. You could have just shoved a chopstick in your ear of course. Seriously, Colosi is a great source of for nuts, saddles and pins. And the GraphTek picks - made of tusq, also come in black the next time you want to mess with your nut.

Interestingly, I noticed on Colosi's site -for the first time, a notice that said they no longer ship ivory out of the state of Georgia. Can Rosewood be far behind?

Archived