Gibson Brands Forums

EJ200 and LR Baggs Anthem?

Petrik

Hi forum

A week ago I bought a EJ200 natural. The top has aged into warm light brown and it plays and sounds beautiful.

Today I tested a brandnew Gibson J200. A beautiful guitar and I would have purchased it if it sounded and played much better than my Epiphone.

There was a conciderable difference in sound, in the woods and finishing. But not enough to cover the difference in the price.

So I ordered the LR Baggs Anthem instead, to install it on my Epiphone. Because I absolutely loved the sound of the Anthem in the Gibson.

I hope it will sound just as good on my Epi. I use my guitars only in my home studio.

Sorry if this is a silly question Petrik but why the pickup if the guitar is only used in your home studio?

Epiphone guitars are normally around 1/10th of the price of Gibson but not 1/10th of the tone and sound

The Anthem is a combination of a condenser microphone paired with the LR Baggs Element piezo pickup, producing a neat warm and balanced plugged mix. I highly doubt the EJ-200 will sound anything like its Gibson counterpart with the Anthem installed, but I can't wait to listen to sound samples should OP provide any.

Sorry if this is a silly question Petrik but why the pickup if the guitar is only used in your home studio?

Epiphone guitars are normally around 1/10th of the price of Gibson but not 1/10th of the tone and sound

Good question. I want to use the Anthem for recording too, if it sounds as good (different) as I hope. And, I forgot to mention, for an occasional gig with friends.

The Anthem is a combination of a condenser microphone paired with the LR Baggs Element piezo pickup, producing a neat warm and balanced plugged mix. I highly doubt the EJ-200 will sound anything like its Gibson counterpart with the Anthem installed, but I can't wait to listen to sound samples should OP provide any.

When the Anthem is installed I'll record something. Of course it is possible that not every EJ200 is as good as a Gibson.

I have a 2016 Gibson J200 standard with the Anthem pickup. It is a really great sounding pickup system, quite natural reproduction.

Once you get that installed, I think you'll like it. The blend (mic to under saddle element) is quite effective. I find that about a 30/70 blend (with the 70% on the saddle side) works pretty good. Note that the mic is very sensitive, and you can get some static pops now and then in the dry winter months. If you just blend in less of the mic, they will not be noticeable. LR Baggs knows about this, and they attribute it to mostly to newly applied Nitro (takes a while to cure) and static electric charges. May not occur on a poly finish

as for the comparisons, I think the Ej200s are fine guitars. I've had many acoustic guitars come thru my hands in these 5 decades I've been playing gutiar, in all price / quality makes and brands. I have NEVER played anything as good as this J... Once I got the setup right for me, it is effort less to play, and resonates like a dream.. It is f----ng amazing. is it 10x better? for me.. yea,, it is..

I can't knock either Gibsons or their Epi counterparts these days. Epiphones have gotten better in the current millennium, although they are not likely to be on the same level as Gibson - and generally won't sound the same....

There is a difference, no doubt. But is the difference worth the extra dollars? I grew up with Gibson and Fender, but very successful bands like The Muse are obviously not impressed. This goes for the many young guitarists in our music shop too. Anyway, new brands (and Gibson/Fender clones) and are becoming more popular. Maybe this inspires Gibson to make cheaper versions under the Gibson name?

Meanwhile I received the LRBaggs Anthem. But it was the wrong type: split saddle. Lowden and some Takemines have a split saddle, which require double piezzos. Can't use these under a single saddle. So I'm still waiting. And enjoy playing my wonderful EJ.

There is a difference, no doubt. But is the difference worth the extra dollars? I grew up with Gibson and Fender, but very successful bands like The Muse are obviously not impressed. This goes for the many young guitarists in our music shop too. Anyway, new brands (and Gibson/Fender clones) and are becoming more popular. Maybe this inspires Gibson to make cheaper versions under the Gibson name?

Meanwhile I received the LRBaggs Anthem. But it was the wrong type: split saddle. Lowden and some Takemines have a split saddle, which require double piezzos. Can't use these under a single saddle. So I'm still waiting. And enjoy playing my wonderful EJ.

Part of it for me Petrik is I've been playing a very long time now, (over 50 years), and a J200 is a guitar I've aspired to for a long time. When I could finally afford it, I bought one, and for me, it was a decision I have never regretted. That's me, my story, my aspiration.

One of the guys I've been working music with since the late 70s, could easily afford two of them on any given day, and yet he won't go anywhere near one. he plays a Takamine he snagged off eBay for like 250.., (at the end of the day it's a decent sounding guitar) Comparing the J200 to his, sure he hears a difference, and thinks the J200 is the bomb, but he absolutely, will not drop the cash on one. he's totally happy with what he has, and no reason he shouldn't be. That is his story!...

And they are making more affordable versions, some of the new HP lineup and the entry level J series, the HP line up gets mixed reviews it seems. Many say they sound more like Taylors (which are not well liked on the Gibson Acoustic forum) than Gibsons. (I've got a real nice taylor too, and it is WAY different in every aspect the the J200 Standard. And I can see why a lot of the Gibson guys don't get on with them)

Part of it for me Petrik is I've been playing a very long time now, (over 50 years), and a J200 is a guitar I've aspired to for a long time. When I could finally afford it, I bought one, and for me, it was a decision I have never regretted. That's me, my story, my aspiration.

One of the guys I've been working music with since the late 70s, could easily afford two of them on any given day, and yet he won't go anywhere near one. he plays a Takamine he snagged off eBay for like 250.., (at the end of the day it's a decent sounding guitar) Comparing the J200 to his, sure he hears a difference, and thinks the J200 is the bomb, but he absolutely, will not drop the cash on one. he's totally happy with what he has, and no reason he shouldn't be. That is his story!...

And they are making more affordable versions, some of the new HP lineup and the entry level J series, the HP line up gets mixed reviews it seems. Many say they sound more like Taylors (which are not well liked on the Gibson Acoustic forum) than Gibsons. (I've got a real nice taylor too, and it is WAY different in every aspect the the J200 Standard. And I can see why a lot of the Gibson guys don't get on with them)

You're making my point, kidblast. Hi end guitars are about emotion. Luthiers like Gibson have brilliantly created good guitars and also a dream to go with it. I see young guitarists every day being not impressed. Partly because they can't afford a Gibson, but mainly because they really find their dream in (often very good) affordable ones. I've been playing guitar probably as long as you have (I'm sure we would have a ball playing together), and things are absolutely changing. But that is just my opinion.

You're making my point, kidblast. Hi end guitars are about emotion. Luthiers like Gibson have brilliantly created good guitars and also a dream to go with it. I see young guitarists every day being not impressed. Partly because they can't afford a Gibson, but mainly because they really find their dream in (often very good) affordable ones. I've been playing guitar probably as long as you have (I'm sure we would have a ball playing together), and things are absolutely changing. But that is just my opinion.

It'd be really cool to meet and jam with people on this message board... I agree with you, plus I believe the improvements made in the Epiphone line up make them head and shoulders at the very least from where things were 8 to 10 years back. There's plenty of great choices that won't break anyones budget.

I own two Epis and four Gibsons. The Gibsons ARE better guitars but there's no way my IB '64 Texan is £2000 WORSE than my Dove. I'd never part with my Texan or EL-00, they're as much part of my sound live and on record as my Gibsons.

I played a show last night and just took my Texan along, as it hadn't been out for several weeks, and I had several comments about how great it sounded. Plays like butter too, I string it with 13s and tune it down to Eb. Absolutely love it.

I think putting an Anthem in your EJ200 is a great idea. I had a Matrix Infinity in my old one which sounded great, and I'm sure the Anthem will really sing. Keep us posted on how it goes!

I've got a few of the matrix pups install, they sound good, I think the anthem sounds more natural / smoother less brittle. and the anthem has noticeably less output than do the Fishman. not really a problem, just turn up a bit more to compensate

I own two Epis and four Gibsons. The Gibsons ARE better guitars but there's no way my IB '64 Texan is £2000 WORSE than my Dove. I'd never part with my Texan or EL-00, they're as much part of my sound live and on record as my Gibsons.

I played a show last night and just took my Texan along, as it hadn't been out for several weeks, and I had several comments about how great it sounded. Plays like butter too, I string it with 13s and tune it down to Eb. Absolutely love it.

I think putting an Anthem in your EJ200 is a great idea. I had a Matrix Infinity in my old one which sounded great, and I'm sure the Anthem will really sing. Keep us posted on how it goes!

The Anthem works well. But where did my wonderful (acoustic) low freqs go.. the piezo element of course is a lot softer than the saddle material. This has been a topic on this forum earlier, I remember. Have to figure this out first.

• 3 weeks later...

The Anthem works well. But where did my wonderful (acoustic) low freqs go.. the piezo element of course is a lot softer than the saddle material. This has been a topic on this forum earlier, I remember. Have to figure this out first.

Friends of mine, more handy than I, are trying to think of an alternative way to attach a piezo to the bridge. They suggest a parallel slot directly next to the saddle slot, with a dummy saddle on top with screws to put enough pressure on the piezo to get sound. I'll let you know if it works.

Archived