Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson QC

Pinch

Hello all!

Check this out:

14dpr20.jpg

As you can see, the strap button doesn't sit perfectly flush with the guitar on one side - apparently, in this day and age, it's difficult to drill a straight hole into a piece of wood.

It's not off by a lot - the gap is something like the (recommended) gap at the 7th fret when you check for relief. Do you think I'll have trouble if I decide to install straplocks down the line, seeing as those buttons are slightly larger than the stock buttons, or is it within Gibson's famous "acceptable range"? What do you think?

The guitar is perfect otherwise... Mountain out of a molehill?

Well at least a foot hill from an ant hill..

I don't think the installation of a strap luck button will matter much. if you go with a shcaller strap lock, you can even use the same screw that Gibson used. (this is what I do all the time). Also what you could do additionally is use some felt washers (from a place like Stew Mac). that makes for a pretty clean set for the strap button.

button-feltwasher_zpsyhzyaaad.jpg

The issue is not the alignment. It is the appalling lack of a three cent felt washer. I keep a pack of them around the house because somewhere along the way the American Guitar Makers decided to cut that particular corner. Gaddammit that just galls the crap outta me.

rct

The issue is not the alignment. It is the appalling lack of a three cent felt washer. I keep a pack of them around the house because somewhere along the way the American Guitar Makers decided to cut that particular corner. Gaddammit that just galls the crap outta me.

rct

What seems more puzzling, Epiphone still uses them. Go figger right?

Guest Farnsbarns

Hello all!

Check this out:

14dpr20.jpg

As you can see, the strap button doesn't sit perfectly flush with the guitar on one side - apparently, in this day and age, it's difficult to drill a straight hole into a piece of wood.

It's not off by a lot - the gap is something like the (recommended) gap at the 7th fret when you check for relief. Do you think I'll have trouble if I decide to install straplocks down the line, seeing as those buttons are slightly larger than the stock buttons, or is it within Gibson's famous "acceptable range"? What do you think?

[lol]

It's a molehill. What model and which strap button is this. Not clear from the pic.

rct

Well, felt washers are known to kill sustain.

Riffster: I tried that. No dice.

OK, yea, in this case the button is kind of long allowing less wiggle room. Usually the conical shaped of the button and the screw have a bit of wiggle room but not always.

Guest Farnsbarns

To be fair to Gibson, the felt washer isn't a great idea in engineering terms. By not allowing the button to be tight up against the body it turns what would be pure sheer load into bending load (bending being a compound of tension and compression). The felt washers might fill a gap when the button is on a curved surface and they might protect the finish (coz we all hate scratches hidden neatly under some hardware) but structurally you're better off without them. This only has any impact on heavy guitars of course and may considered negligible by some.

you're better off without them. This only has any impact on heavy guitars of course and may considered negligible by some.

I've got a (close to) 12 pounder LP Standard, I do use felt washers, (the same set has been there since I put the strap locks on there in 1996). not an issue in this instance.

Guest Farnsbarns

I've got a (close to) 12 pounder LP Standard, I do use felt washers, (the same set has been there since I put the strap locks on there in 1996). not an issue in this instance.

About 10 years ago I warned a guy about capacitor discharge. He told me how he'd never had a problem so therefore it must be fine. He's dead now.

You're quite right really, it won't be a problem, I was more pointing out that it's silly to be concerned about a lack of one.

About 10 years ago I warned a guy about capacitor discharge. He told me how he'd never had a problem so therefore it must be fine. He's dead now.

Nearly spit coffee on my laptop! LOL!

You're quite right really, it won't be a problem, I was more pointing out that it's silly to be concerned about a lack of one.

Quite so Farns, I just had a bunch laying around from when I'd do minor repairs and setups for my students, so I figgered I'd may as well use em..

I still have them tucked away in my tool box... I guess I unknowingly bought a life time supply...

Guest Farnsbarns

Farns: ha! I too spoke of capacitor discharge. Same end result for the guy. I shook my head.

He shook it more violently.

I made my tale up just to make the point that "it's never been a problem" in the face of any warning is entirely illogical. I used to get it all the the in my previous eMarketting life.

"Don't send mass emails by BCC, it will harm your campaign deliverability"

"It's never been a problem".

"Oh, ok, my mistake. That's clearly proof it'll never be a problem. Carry on"

It's what is called a "relationship implies causality fallacy" in reverse. Lack of relationship also doesn't imply a lack of causality.

I made my tale up just to make the point that "it's never been a problem" in the face of any warning is entirely illogical. I used to get it all the the in my previous eMarketting life.

It's what is called a "relationship implies causality fallacy" in reverse. Lack of relationship also doesn't imply a lack of causality.

Well Farns, not being one to argue, -- I can't see how 20+ years, of "not an issue" is being illogical but.. you brits are smarter than us yanks, so I spose.........

yet..

I digress...

Well, so long as it doesn't compromise the integrity of the wood? How it looks doesn't matter to me.

I know I'm far too picky for my own good... But if I'm gonna ask anyway, might as well do it here :)

To be fair to Gibson, the felt washer isn't a great idea in engineering terms. By not allowing the button to be tight up against the body it turns what would be pure sheer load into bending load (bending being a compound of tension and compression). The felt washers might fill a gap when the button is on a curved surface and they might protect the finish (coz we all hate scratches hidden neatly under some hardware) but structurally you're better off without them. This only has any impact on heavy guitars of course and may considered negligible by some.

Yeah, see? Us engineers need to stick together. Let's go draw some free body diagrams. These guys are no fun.

It's all academic until somebody gets their strap button pulled out.

Archived