Gibson Brands Forums

Onward, Gibson soldiers!

Buc McMaster

Just sayin'..........

I am so very pleased with both of these instruments. Supremely playable, wonderful Gibson tone. The two best acoustic guitars I have ever owned. Off with the J-45 tonight to sit down and compare musical notes with a player I have never met............perhaps a duo in the making.......

MlM9QCY.jpg?1

Do you tend to favor one over the other for a particular style of play, tune, or mood?

Not really. At this time I am preferring the aggressive tone and volume of the J-45 but I still play both daily. Have firestripe pick guard on order with Terrapin and I might change it out......might not. I'll see what it looks like when it arrives.

Is there a pickup in the J45? If so, what did you put in it? Thanks!

K&K Pure in both. I like the simplicity of a passive pickup (no battery). The K&K has good output and is pretty much an invisible install. Works well in all circumstances I've encountered.

Not really. At this time I am preferring the aggressive tone and volume of the J-45 but I still play both daily. Have firestripe pick guard on order with Terrapin and I might change it out......might not. I'll see what it looks like when it arrives.

K&K Pure in both. I like the simplicity of a passive pickup (no battery). The K&K has good output and is pretty much an invisible install. Works well in all circumstances I've encountered.

any records of how it sounds in the J45?

Sometimes it's magic - you'll know if it is☺

Well if first impressions are to be trusted.......it ain't. Spent about three hours trading tunes, exploring a few commonalities, searching for harmonies. Just didn't feel right, ya know? There was no musical chemistry at work, no spark of recognition in one another's style. While not particularly talented, I'm aggressive on the guitar and I always try to sing with some power and emotion........his style is very reserved and understated.........not a bad thing at all, just seems incongruous with mine. He plays well, has pleasant voice and is quite experienced. However..........

And so I debate with myself about giving this another shot or going with my first instinct and reaction to the session......... [confused]

Well if first impressions are to be trusted.......it ain't. Spent about three hours trading tunes, exploring a few commonalities, searching for harmonies. Just didn't feel right, ya know? There was no musical chemistry at work, no spark of recognition in one another's style. While not particularly talented, I'm aggressive on the guitar and I always try to sing with some power and emotion........his style is very reserved and understated.........not a bad thing at all, just seems incongruous with mine. He plays well, has pleasant voice and is quite experienced. However..........

And so I debate with myself about giving this another shot or going with my first instinct and reaction to the session......... [confused]

I've managed to always try until I'm sure of what is the right thing to do. If it is early in the gigs, band, whatever, and I am staring at the ceiling second guessing every detail, I know I need to go to the next rehearsal, give it hex at the next gig, whatever it might be, until I am certain it is wrong. Knowing it is wrong will be apparent to both of you when it happens. Second guessing yourself out will leave both of you always wondering.

Good luck.

rct

I much prefer jamming than being in an official group. No ties, but jamming for the sake of jamming. That allows me to grow as a musician, collaborate, but still pursue my solo musical muse.

Disclaimer: I have run a twice monthly acoustic music jam for 17 years now.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Only ever played with one guy who I felt i really gelled with

Not even sure if he felt same

Played with a guy for 3 years who had no clue about what sound was in my head. But folk liked us 😄

But folk are dumb

95% wouldn't like Lennon and McCartney if they were strangers playing in a bar

Archived