Gibson Brands Forums

My first experience with Warmoth

Riffster

I have been gasing for a 70's style Stratocaster for a while but I simply never saw all the specs I want together on a single guitar so I decided to put one together.

I am slowly buying the parts and while I wanted to do it on the cheap as a fun project I also did not want to end up with a $400 Squier so I decided to use good quality components, not necessarily high end stuff but not compromise either.

Instead of a cheaper Mighty Mite neck I opted for a Warmoth neck, and I am glad I did. It has the exact specs I wanted, 1 11/16" nut width, slim profile, 10-16 compound radius, 22 frets and 6150 fret wire (almost went with 6100 but they look huge, I chickened out, I was afraid of a too much metal feel and I am heavy-handed)

Anyway, I am very pleased with the quality, this thing is cut with precision and perfectly sanded, $157 plus $20 shipping is hard to beat, great quality wood and fret work (I will round them a bit more with my trusty fret-end file but they are good as they came).

Anyway I picked this up from their showcase, it was already made so, I simply picked the frets, no finish and no nut.

0E808297-53FE-41AF-BEDB-EBDBA09F61C2_zpsnxugiv1v.jpg

976C86E8-96B5-4822-A4D8-D9E6C80730C4_zpsdexjp5tq.jpg

5B822978-69C0-4B9A-83C9-B6EA6D1B3D14_zps8ezwkwmn.jpg

5CD078F2-F0E1-4775-88E0-7109FE2B5560_zpswnucwgzs.jpg

A295FD7E-F0DC-4ADD-BE7D-AB65C6E22D6C_zps2i8rzv8d.jpg

A0EE3AA9-B0BE-4955-AEF4-BFC63726BB10_zpsnhtj5frv.jpg

Congrats! I love Warmoth bodies and necks. Really great stuff.

They make a 3/8's size strat (24.75 scale) where the neck and body are reduced size so it doesn't look off like conversions can sometimes look. Plus they can make them chambered. Very cool guitar.

Thanks guys I am really happy with it, I am not much of a birds eye guy but this one has just enough.

I like how they do the tuner holes, they are larger in the back to accommodate the tuner and smaller holes on the front to make sure any bushing fits, you can widen the hole but if the hole was too big you have to shell out $10 on conversion bushings, I learned all about that in the last couple of years, I must have like 3 sets of bushings laying around, I kept buying the wrong stuff, who'd thought there's like a bunch of different sizes.

As for the tint Surfpup, I was planning on using the Reranch tinted lacquer, I used their stuff for my Flying V.

This will be an Arctic White body with all nickel hardware. I am slapping two humbuckers on this thing, I already have an SSS American Strat.

Did you guys notice the warning about oils not being good enough to keep the warranty? not even on maple?

Interesting. That's gonna look great with the tinted nitro!! I love your guitar projects, can't wait to see this one finished

Are you gonna decal it?

Guest Farnsbarns

Congrats! I love Warmoth bodies and necks. Really great stuff.

They make a 3/8's size strat (24.75 scale) where the neck and body are reduced size so it doesn't look off like conversions can sometimes look. Plus they can make them chambered. Very cool guitar.

Wasn't that guitar you brought to my house a warmoth? That's a nice guitar!

Interesting. That's gonna look great with the tinted nitro!! I love your guitar projects, can't wait to see this one finished

Are you gonna decal it?

Yes, I already have the decals, 70's style black letters with silver outline as opposed to the more common gold. I will also add something that would not be stock Fender and would be under the lacquer.

Oh no Pippy, I do not have anything close to those kind of creative juices, I wish. Simply meant I'll add a small something on the headstock to make it immediately apparent that the guitar is not a factory Fender guitar.

Did you guys notice the warning about oils not being good enough to keep the warranty? not even on maple?

Correct that oil finish is not covered by warranty.

TRU OIL is the only exception. And it is the one you want to use anyway. So not really a problem.

But you're planning to go with the tinted lacquer anyway so even more not problem.

Great looking neck BTW. [thumbup]

What a great project. The parts look excellent. The frets look flat in the close up but I'm sure that's a false impression.

I've considered trying a Warmouth build a couple of times. I hope you keep us in touch with your progress. Good luck.

It is just the picture, the frets are not flat, they are crowned, narrower on top, in real life they actually look thin when looking from other angles, I actually measured them with my caliper because they did not look wide enough but they are at the base.

I cannot wait to play this neck but it'll be a while. Having two kids at home this is a slow-burn project for me. I will post pics for sure. The nice thing about having a separate neck and body is that I can tackle some steps easier.

As for the tint Surfpup, I was planning on using the Reranch tinted lacquer, I used their stuff for my Flying V.

This will be an Arctic White body with all nickel hardware. I am slapping two humbuckers on this thing, I already have an SSS American Strat.

[thumbup] Can't go wrong with either. My Goldtop Tele was done with ReRanch Gibson Gold. Now about the humbuckers.... [crying]

Just kidding actually. I like humbuckers in the neck position of my Teles - but I do prefer a honkin' single in the bridge. They don't sound like Strats.

I know but I already have an SSS American Stratocaster.

Well, I just bought a paulownia strat body and a few humbuckers from Guitar Fetish, got lucky, there is a 10% off on orders over $100. Enough to cover shipping cost with FedEx home.

Well, the paulownia body is here, it is so light and porous is ridiculous, a little bit lighter and would think it's styrofoam.

2 pounds and 1.6 ounces!

I read that it can "drink" wood filler and what some people do is to spray a thin coat of nitro before applying wood filler. That makes sense.

The body has nice contours but the routes will need a little tweaking. I have a good router but I may use my dremel routing attachment for better control.

Also, I'm going to apply wood hardener (which I already have) where the tremolo screws on. That should stiffen the wood in that area of concern.

ED569600-E797-4000-8BA2-B00C6B3384A5_zps9jbm5nza.jpg

B96600F7-A465-4157-BFCF-ABC5AA587DC0_zpsat2d6iqb.jpg

F2F11BD0-23DE-487A-9B74-DCD2116FBC75_zps87z5lsef.jpg

Archived