Gibson Brands Forums

335 63 reissue

Chester Chesney

I have noticed that my 2014 ES 335 63 re-issue hums when connected to my Roland CUBE 40 amp, whereas my telecaster does not. I suspect that the ES needs better grounding. Any suggestions on how to fix? I only noticed this humming after having swapped out the nylon saddled ABR1 for a metal-saddled ABR1 bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that my 2014 ES 335 63 re-issue hums when connected to my Roland CUBE 40 amp, whereas my telecaster does not. I suspect that the ES needs better grounding. Any suggestions on how to fix? I only noticed this humming after having swapped out the nylon saddled ABR1 for a metal-saddled ABR1 bridge.

Just guessing, but it probably has something to do with how the bridge and/or stopbar are grounded, and the fact that the strings are no longer isolated from the bridge by the nylon saddles. Maybe there are two seperate paths to ground now wheras there was only one before? That could do it.

Can you figure out whether the ground wire from the controls runs to the bridge or the stopbar? That might shed some light on the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the approach you outline. I'll begin by restoring the original nylon saddles. The result of that should hopefully point me in the right direction for a solution. I admit that I am unlikely to try to delve into the innards of the guitar. If necessary, I'll look for a competent repair tech/luth to undertake any repairs. Cheers, Ches (attached '63 VOS 335 and 2011/12 red 339 - both excellent)

post-78772-066929300 1494528575_thumb.jpg

Archived