Gibson Brands Forums

HP635W

rct

I played a few in the new series, and I believe the HP635W was one of them.

So far, the ones I've played have had a rather average tone - nothing that made me perk up & think "nice." But still, the build quality was high, and most likely there will be some very good examples of the breed out there.

Visually, I find the traditional models more appealing.

I've actually played the 415W, 635W, 665SB and the 735R. Out of them all I liked the 665W the best. Quality wise for fit and finish was as good as any of the regular production Gibsons I have played. The sound of the 665W was the best too and I personally think it looked the best. If I were in the market for a cutaway around that price bracket I'd pick it over a Taylor I think.

My local store actually has one at the moment in Sunburst. Looks nice. Odd though I've searched around online and found no one else with a Sunburst version. (He also has a Sunburst J15 with looks fantastic).

I've only played one, and that was at GC. To me it sounded okay, but looked like all the "plain Jane" guitars that Martin has been putting-out the last several years. No doubt Gibson is trying to appeal to a younger generation. This HP has nothing I'm interested in. They are likely very nice guitars, but there's nothing in them that says "Gibson" to me. Just not what I typically look and listen for.

I've only played one, and that was at GC. To me it sounded okay, but looked like all the "plain Jane" guitars that Martin has been putting-out the last several years. No doubt Gibson is trying to appeal to a younger generation. This HP has nothing I'm interested in. They are likely very nice guitars, but there's nothing in them that says "Gibson" to me. Just not what I typically look and listen for.

Larry,

Exactly these are for the modern player or for the studio guy who needs a certain sound.

The 3 or 4 I played sounded as good as the J 200 Vintage they had at the show.So they still have the gibson tone just the look and feel are different.

JC

The price Andertons has the 635W on for at the moment is very good(and it includes taxes). With current exchange rates that comes in 1534US$. That's close to $300 cheaper than Sweetwater are selling it for.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/P/HPSS635NH/electro-acoustic-guitars/gibson-hp635-w-electro-acoustic-guitar-in-antique-natural-2017

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HPSS635NH

Thanks for the insight folks. I'd be bashing at it out for a few songs a set. I regularly rely on my Gibsons, always have, so I figure a Gibson acoustic will have to hold up just as well. I'm going to be out trading in a few months, interestingly enough, an SG I don't get along with anymore, so this might be something for me to have a look at.

rct

I've played a couple of the HP line. They sounded and looked very plain to me. I wouldn't say soulless, but nowhere near as much spirit to my ears and eyes. In terms of comparisons to recent Gibsons I have, I didn't hear the stoic thunder of the '41 SJ100 Reissue, the perky, big articulation of my SJ200 or the lambent, fluid prettiness of my Dove.

I felt they were very transparent and the neck felt good, overall they reminded me of the short lived Gibson branded Songmaker series that came out of the old Garrison factory ten years or so back. A practical gigging instrument and studio workhorse that doesn't impart a lot of character and sounds like Acoustic Guitar™. Similar to a Taylor or one of those modern Martins with hundreds of letters in its name, like a GCLPCNCPDFJPG5 or whatever they're called.

I quite like the fact that's gibson futureproofed the HP line by not putting a barn door preamp in it which will be outdated in 5yrs but won't be able to be easily replaced. The Element pickup is a good unobtrusive choice.

Local store has a 415W in Sunburst as well as a 415CEX in Natural. Both play and sound nice, the CEX a little better to my ears. No reference on Gibson's site to the CEX differences against W. Both Walnut and look the same. Turns out it is the internal bracing. The W has X bracing AJ style (forward shifted like J35 I would assume) where as the CEX has J45 style bracing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...