Gibson Brands Forums

KLUSON DELUXE

micko.w

Hi,

I have a SG standard from 2012 with P-90s.

Can anyone recommend some strings that will hold tuning with the Kluson Deluxe machineheads. I don't wish to replace them, but I can't take the guitar out live because it won't hold tuning consistently.

Any suggestions greeted with gratitude

most of the time, the problem with tuning stability is the nut slots. What gauge strings are you using?

a quick home remedy: Take a some Vaseline and a toothpick, and put a dab of it in each nut slot using the toothpick to lube the slots, and also try this to the slots on the bridge.

Stretch the strings a few times then retune. if it seems better, then just keep the slots lubed until you can find a setup tech that ca regulate the nut.

most of the time, the problem with tuning stability is the nut slots. What gauge strings are you using?

a quick home remedy: Take a some Vaseline and a toothpick, and put a dab of it in each nut slot using the toothpick to lube the slots, and also try this to the slots on the bridge.

Stretch the strings a few times then retune. if it seems better, then just keep the slots lubed until you can find a setup tech that ca regulate the nut.

Thanks, I use 9's it should really be better than it is, as is. But thanks for your advice

9s are a bit light IMHO but if you've a light touch, maybe ok for you. You still should try lubing the slots, it DOES help.

Ernie Ball Cobalts IME are the most stable strings from of all newer products I've tried recently.

Don't be afraid to get a new nut installed by a luthier. I do a lot of work on guitars but I'm not a luthier so I still use luthier services. A new nut isn't expensive. A luthier can also identify why your SG slides out of tune.

A luthier has the skills you need to get your SG on a stage which I think is what you really want..

Another vote for the nut being the issue. Over 90% of tuning issues I have ever seen are with the nut. Gibsons also have the special feature of the middle strings coming off the nut slot, to the tuner, at an angle. This can mean more binding and decreased tuning stability for players doing a lot of bending or ham handed Neanderthals like me. So my advice, echoing what was said

1. Try lubing the nut slots and bridge saddles. There are a lot of lubes specially for nuts out there.

2. Get a new nut. Graph Tech makes a self lubricating nut that is supposed to be excellent.

Another vote for the nut being the issue. Over 90% of tuning issues I have ever seen are with the nut.

Yes - totally agree. Tuners, even cheap ones, are so low geared that it is very rare for them to move, assuming you always tune up to pitch, not down. Nuts, however, can be a total lottery, even with Gibsons. Sometimes the slots are too wide, or too narrow, or simply not formed properly. Get a tech to check the nut and make sure that the slots are the right width for the strings you use, shaped correctly, and that their interiors are smooth. Add some graphite to the slots (I actually use a tiny amount of graphite grease), and then see how things are. Adding a little graphite to the bridge saddles can help too, as if they are a bit too acute then they can "grip 'n' slip" as well, which can knock a string out.

H.

• 2 months later...

As others have posted here, and in my experience of owning dozens of guitars over the years, tuning issues are 99.9% nut issues. I would suggest not wasting your hard earned cash on multiple new string sets and new tuners. Invest in a professional checking out and adjusting/filing the nut. Worth every penny and will be a permanent fix for your tuning problem. [thumbup]

Archived