Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone have or played a J-200M?

theflyingturtle

There is a J-200M (The "M" stands for mini) for sale not too far away. I wondered if anyone can tell me about them. I am considering driving a few hours away to try it out. Specifically, I have a bad right shoulder from decades of guitar playing and falling off of motorcycles. I can no longer sit in a chair and play unless the guitar is small enough that I can rest my right arm in a relaxed position. I am looking for guitars that can accommodate my disability. Right now I already have a Spring Hill Fender mini jumbo in sitka/maple but the 16 inch wide lower bout aggravates my right shoulder when I sit and play. The J-200M has a 15 in. lower bout which is a step in the right direction but the only guitar that I can sit and play comfortably has a 14 inch lower bout. I am simply unsure if the guitar will allow me to enjoy playing without discomfort. Also, for those that have tried out one of these, how is it compared to a standard J-200? Will I be "missing out" too much from a standard?

If you are looking for a 14 inch body do yourself a favor and try out or buy one of the Epiphone Masterbilt Century Olympic models ( 14")

They are archtops but have a beautiful tone different from a flattop but very nice and punchy.

As far as the J 200 M :

Here's Robi from Gibson Montana doing a demo also:

If you are looking for something thinner in depth the Eric Church Hummingbird Dark is only 4" deep (not sure if this will help your shoulder but it's less effort):

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/Eric-Church-Hummingbird-Dark.aspx

If none of those fit the bill you might want to try and locate a used Fender D!ck Dale Malibu . It's only 3 inches deep and built on a very small folk style body

JC

......the only guitar that I can sit and play comfortably has a 14 inch lower bout.

Well, that would seem to indicate that a 15" body would not be comfortable, yes? I wonder if standing to play would allow you to use larger body guitars without pain........

Well, that would seem to indicate that a 15" body would not be comfortable, yes? I wonder if standing to play would allow you to use larger body guitars without pain........

It does seem to indicate that it may not work but I really have no basis for comparison to tey out in front of me. Yes, I do often have to play standing up, especially if I am singing and practicing. However, if I am working at a song with paper and pencil, sitting down and writing out the chords to a song, sitting down with some friends and jamming regularly requires a guitar that can be played sitting down. Add to this the inevitability of getting old. That shoulder isn't going to get better and I will need smaller, more comfortable guitars as I age. It's like turning 40 and needing reading glasses. It isn't if your eyes are getting worse, it is when and how bad.

Strictly speaking Gibsons:

J-185 with it's narrower waist.

J-165, smaller still.

Various LG & 00 bodies.

L body shape (early 2000s).

Try anything you can get your hands on!

Thank you for posting that. That's good info. If anything my plans were to end up with a vintage LG-2 and/or a Martin 00-17 when this 200 popped up on my radar. It is nothing I have heard of before and liked the small-bodied guitars. I saw someone at an open mic with an Emmilou Harris Gibson. That guitar sounded amazing and this 200M reminded me of that guitar.

I saw someone at an open mic with an Emmilou Harris Gibson. That guitar sounded amazing and this 200M reminded me of that guitar.

FYI - There are two versions of the Emmy Lou model. The earliest was based on the early 2000s L-shape (which is when the Emmy Lou model was first released), while the more recent version is based on the mini J-200 size you're currently considering.

They're both good examples of sizes that might work for you.

I recently bought a CJ165 which is the Jumbo shape with a 15" bout, so probably the same size. When sitting and playing, the smaller waist lowers it a little more on the lap and it feels very comfortable and smaller than it actually is.

I recently bought a CJ165 which is the Jumbo shape with a 15" bout, so probably the same size. When sitting and playing, the smaller waist lowers it a little more on the lap and it feels very comfortable and smaller than it actually is.

Correct the 2007 and on version of the Emmylou + any version of the J 200 M is the J 165 body size

JC

I played a sunburst one today at Russo's. I wanted to like it, but the guitar seemed too heavy for too little sound. I'll take an LG2 any day.

However, they look real cool!

How did the sound/tone compare with an LG-2?

After reading Sal's comment, I weighed these guitars. LG2 3lb 10oz, CJ165 4lb 4oz.

The CJ does have electronics, battery and metal buttons but I would think that would only be about 3oz.

Sound wise, I can't compare an all hog guitar to a Spruce over RW. Apples to oranges.

FEBC0F6D-F899-4B4D-B2A9-FAF33162A547_zps6zntxwpl.jpg

After reading Sal's comment, I weighed these guitars. LG2 3lb 10oz, CJ165 4lb 4oz.

The CJ does have electronics, battery and metal buttons but I would think that would only be about 3oz.

Sound wise, I can't compare an all hog guitar to a Spruce over RW. Apples to oranges.

FEBC0F6D-F899-4B4D-B2A9-FAF33162A547_zps6zntxwpl.jpg

Dave is that LG 2 one of the "John Thomas" replicas?

JC

Archived