Gibson Brands Forums

Snowy White

IanHenry

I never liked this song, until I learned to play it, then I "got" what a beautiful piece of guitar playing it rally is. Here's an example of Snowy playing it live

I'm surprised to read that you didn't like it, Ian. A tad too mawkish, perhaps?................eusa_think.gif.............

I first heard Snowy White's playing on Peter Green's 'In The Skies' album and really liked his understated, very melodic style; sort of a half-way house in-between Greeny, Knopfler and Gilmour.

The first time I heard 'Bird of Paradise' was when he played mimed it on good old Top of the Pops. Actually he DID play it; it's just that someone had forgotten to plug his guitar in...

Here's the very clip. How young he was back then! Even 'though he's unplugged notice he still fiddles with his vol/tone knobs - probably out of sheer habit of playing it live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsz4TM5nasM

Pip.

I'm surprised to read that you didn't like it, Ian. A tad too mawkish, perhaps?................eusa_think.gif.............

I first heard Snowy White's playing on Peter Green's 'In The Skies' album and really liked his understated, very melodic style; sort of a half-way house in-between Greeny, Knopfler and Gilmour.

The first time I heard 'Bird of Paradise' was when he played mimed it on good old Top of the Pops. Actually he DID play it; it's just that someone had forgotten to plug his guitar in...

Here's the very clip. How young he was back then! Even 'though he's unplugged notice he still fiddles with his vol/tone knobs - probably out of sheer habit of playing it live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsz4TM5nasM

Pip.

Pippy, I also first Bird of Paradise on Top of the Pops, and I think the reason that I didn't like it initially is because, at the time I associated Snowy with Thin Lizzy and this is nothing like Thin Lizzy! I also think my tastes have matured a bit since then. I think maybe I was doing Snowy an injustice.

Ian

...I think the reason that I didn't like it initially is because, at the time I associated Snowy with Thin Lizzy and this is nothing like Thin Lizzy!...

Ah! Interesting.

I gave up on Lizzy after the 'Black Rose' album and so, at the time, was totally unaware that Snowy was even in Thin Lizzy back then!

Through the odd bit of info printed in the UK music press I had been following Peter Green's sad tale through the late '70s and when 'In the Skies' was released I was hoping it would be a million miles better than the woeful (IMO - I know there are fans) 'The End of the Game' and was surprised & delighted with the album.

Again, through the music press, it was reported than much of the guitar work was by Snowy White - who was unknown to me at the time - so I always had a soft spot for him for the part he played in helping Greeny get his act back together.

I still really like '..Skies' as an album. It's one of the relatively few discs I've bought on CD whilst also having the original vinyl.

Pip.

Archived