Gibson Brands Forums

Blues Dad in the Heart of Texas

Big Scary Gary

Hi everyone! My name is Gary and I'm new to the forum. I'm a newbie guitar player outside of Austin, TX, but I got my start in Los Angeles. I've been playing on-and-off since I was in college--I thought it would get me girls; but I've been devotedly playing for the last three years. I've never performed for other people, and now my biggest challenge is getting some time each day to practice techniques and riffs.

My favorite style to play is blues/blues rock, with my biggest influences being Stevie Ray Vaughan and Gary Clark Jr., but I really have fun playing anything that I find expressive. I also like acoustic folk, and have my work cut out for me when it comes to acoustic fingerpicking.

For my gear, my pride and joy is a 2014 60th Anniversary Fender Strat, but I also love my Epiphone ES-339 and my Martin 000X1AE. I've been giving a lot of love to the ES-339 and hope to soon upgrade it to a soulful Gibson humbucker. I run mostly through my tweed Blues Junior sometimes with a little tube screamer to spice it up.

I'm glad to be here and hope to make some good friends and get some good licks along the way!

Archived