Gibson Brands Forums

Want to Buy a Calton Case for a J-45

mking

Calton makes a good case, no doubt, but lordy they are so freakin' heavy!.......unbelievably so. I owned one many years back for a D-28. I was young then and it still felt like dragging an anchor for the Queen Mary. If you haven't already, you might take a good look at Hoffee Cases, made of carbon fiber, incredibly light weight and every bit the protection of a Calton. I had one for a previous J-45 that I should have held on to.......the case, not the guitar. These days my guitar dragging around is local but if I was ever to upgrade the case, it would most certainly be a Hoffee.

Happy hunting!

Been there. Done that. Concluded the new Calton's aren't what I wanted. Couldn't find used Calton for slope shoulder, so learned of/contacted/purchased two case from Main Stage. In short, they have/use the old Calton molds, with their cases essentially the same as the old hard-core, heavy, reliable Caltons, but with stainless steel hardware and stronger leather handle. Their URL is: http://www.mainstagecases.com/

Their prices beat Hoffee and the new Calton - their cases tried and true. I'm content with what I got and pleased with their communication and timely follow-through.

Good luck!

Avery Ellisman

www.familyfiddlecamp.com[/font]

We have a 12-fret dread Calton, three D Caltons, a D Hoffee, a 00 and 000 Calton and even an old Mark Leaf. We have an old AJ and a Trojan in two of the Caltons, and right now we are traveling with a 43 SJ in the Hoffee. All of these combination work fine -- indeed better than fine. We also like the HIscox pro II for a little less money.

Best,

-Tom

Been there. Done that. Concluded the new Calton's aren't what I wanted. Couldn't find used Calton for slope shoulder, so learned of/contacted/purchased two case from Main Stage. In short, they have/use the old Calton molds, with their cases essentially the same as the old hard-core, heavy, reliable Caltons, but with stainless steel hardware and stronger leather handle. Their URL is: http://www.mainstagecases.com/

Their prices beat Hoffee and the new Calton - their cases tried and true. I'm content with what I got and pleased with their communication and timely follow-through.

Good luck!

Avery Ellisman

www.familyfiddlecamp.com[/font]

Avery,et all,

Actually the search is for a friend that just bought a 1944 Banner J-45 from Gruhn's in Nashville.

I have four Calton cases, three are the older Canadian made and one is the new Austin made case. The one made in Austin is a bit bigger than the older cases, and I wish they'd left the profile/size alone. I was a bit disappointed when it arrived. I wish I had known about Main Stage cases. I would have purchased one of their cases. I didn't become aware of Main Stage until way after I purchased the Austin made Calton.

We have a 12-fret dread Calton, three D Caltons, a D Hoffee, a 00 and 000 Calton and even an old Mark Leaf. We have an old AJ and a Trojan in two of the Caltons, and right now we are traveling with a 43 SJ in the Hoffee. All of these combination work fine -- indeed better than fine. We also like the HIscox pro II for a little less money.

Best,

-Tom

Very nice. Super protection for all your guitars!!!

Archived