Gibson Brands Forums

Reissues that cost more than the originals

Allenjason95

Gibson's prices have gotten absurdly high IMO on LP across the board.......but selling a RI that costs more than an original is crazy. Why would anyone pay 6,000+bucks for a 74 RI when you could just buy a real 74 for much less?

What's the point exactly? What's more is a real 74 isn't going to depreciate while the reissue will.

I haven't bought a new LP in almost two decades and when I see the kinds prices Gibson is asking now it just makes me wonder who is buying this stuff. Why with 50+ years of Customs out there would anyone pay 5,000-6,000 bucks for a new one? I really don't get it. I mean I love Les Pauls and I know Gibson can charge whatever their prices are just bananas.

It sounds like you answered your own question, they can charge whatever they want. And as long as people buy them, they will continue to do it. Not trying to be a smart *** or anything. You are right though, I wouldn't pay $5000 or 6000 for a 74 reissue. I wouldn't spend $5000 or $6000 for 50's reissue for that matter.

It sounds like you answered your own question, they can charge whatever they want. And as long as people buy them, they will continue to do it. Not trying to be a smart *** or anything. You are right though, I wouldn't pay $5000 or 6000 for a 74 reissue. I wouldn't spend $5000 or $6000 for 50's reissue for that matter.

I wasn't asking why Gibson charged that much....I just can't understand why anyone would pay that when you can get a real 74 for much less.

I wasn't asking why Gibson charged that much....I just can't understand why anyone would pay that when you can get a real 74 for much less.

Because theres too many people with more money than sense...

That's why these guitars are often referred to as Doctor or Dentist guitars cos those are the only ones who can afford them.. And then they probably just hang them on a wall or put them in a case or something... I know that's a huge exaggeration but it happens.

And as long as people keep buying them at that price they will keep selling them at that price.

What can you do? I say if you can afford one good luck to you but we all know they arnt really worth it in terms of what they actually cost to make. (no matter how accurate they get).

I would not know why anyone would want a reissue of the crappiest years of Gibson period.. planks with strings..

The demized of Gibson was the Norlin era.. I believe Henry seen a Future and opportunity in Gibson.. reissuing anything Gibson from the 70s is just awful.. why repeat it?

C'mon now Rabs, if you say that people should try heaps of guitars and ''choose the one that speaks to you" then why not make a wide variety and they may just be the one that appeals to some people visually and to play - perhaps many people just want to buy a Les Paul they really like and don't care what model name its given or what 'afficianado's' might think about that name? I suppose they try a few new [laugh] ideas every year and see what happens?

As for the cost, sure that will be an impediment to many - I heard there was a study in the past year or two which found that 46% of Americans would struggle to find $400 for an emergency, so that would rule many out of an Epi purchase even, but equally there are literally millions of millionaires too, and perhaps they have enough sense to allocate appropriate income to wealth building first and then pay for toys from what's left. You don't have to be wealthy to have 'more money than sense' - ever driven through the 'poor suburbs' and seen the number of tricked-up cars and trucks out front? [scared][blink][smile]

C'mon now Rabs, if you say that people should try heaps of guitars and ''choose the one that speaks to you" then why not make a wide variety and they may just be the one that appeals to some people visually and to play - perhaps many people just want to buy a Les Paul they really like and don't care what model name its given or what 'afficianado's' might think about that name? I suppose they try a few new [laugh] ideas every year and see what happens?

Lol yeah I agree.. As I say if you CAN afford one.. Good luck to you.. Most of us cant and lust after them... Ive tried a few of the Collectors Choice guitars and they were all exquisite.. I cant even really say exactly why, they are just right...??? And yeah if money were no issue id probably have bought a few of them.. :P :) BUT using logic and sense I know they arnt worth that cost in terms of raw material or man hours, how ever nice they are.

You could probably find a Standard or just a regular Custom that play and sound just as nice for a quarter or half he price... Its bonkers really.

And each year they have to come up with a new reason why this years model is so much more accurate than the last one.. How long can this go on for?

I would not know why anyone would want a reissue of the crappiest years of Gibson period.. planks with strings..

The demized of Gibson was the Norlin era.. I believe Henry seen a Future and opportunity in Gibson.. reissuing anything Gibson from the 70s is just awful.. why repeat it?

That's not true. I have a 78 Deluxe and it's one of my favorite guitars looks, build and feel wise (don't care for the minis much though). Some of the greatest rock music ever made was made with Norlin guitars. If Norlins were good enough for Steve Jones, Pete Townshend, Zach Wylde and many others they're certainly good enough for me. The reason I got into Les Pauls was because of Steve Jones white Custom, which was either a 74 or 75. Coolest guitar and sound ever IMO.

Like I said I just don't get why anyone would pay 5,000-6,000 for a reissue of a guitar you can get for much less. Why buy an expensive reissue when you could just buy the original? I'm not knocking 74 Customs themselves.

That's not true. I have a 78 Deluxe and it's one of my favorite guitars looks, build and feel wise (don't care for the minis much though). Some of the greatest rock music ever made was made with Norlin guitars. If Norlins were good enough for Steve Jones, Pete Townshend, Zach Wylde and many others they're certainly good enough for me. The reason I got into Les Pauls was because of Steve Jones white Custom, which was either a 74 or 75. Coolest guitar and sound ever IMO.

Like I said I just don't get why anyone would pay 5,000-6,000 for a reissue of a guitar you can get for much less. Why buy an expensive reissue when you could just buy the original? I'm not knocking 74 Customs themselves.

enjoy the 78 deluxe..

Not to hijack the thread: There's a guy here in LA who used to play with Tex and the Horseheads. He plays a Deluxe with minis and that is one of the best sounding LP's I've ever heard live in a bar.

Not to hijack the thread: There's a guy here in LA who used to play with Tex and the Horseheads. He plays a Deluxe with minis and that is one of the best sounding LP's I've ever heard live in a bar.

Like I said, I love mine except for the pickups but they're not even the original minis, they're Seymour Duncans. I'm probably just going to put in some P90s sooner or later.

Archived