Gibson Brands Forums

Progress?

Lars68

Thanks! I used auto-tune. Just kidding [biggrin]

We practiced the song together, and I tought her how I wanted the melody line. Then she directed me until the sour spots were sorted out. I then turned on the recording, and kept repeating until it was all there and she gave a thumbs up. First time I have ever recorded with a "coach" at hand. Made a world of difference, and only took about two hours or so.

Normally when I have been practicing with her, I learn to do it right, but come time to try and make a recording, say two days later, I've lost it and can't reproduce it. In those cases, since it is my own song, I have no recording of how it should be...

So after all, a big lessoned learned on my part as to how I need to practice and record while my own ears develop. Also very encouraging for future efforts. I have shown myself that I can actually do it at passable quality [biggrin]

Lars

It is exciting watching you make solid progress. One of the paths to mastery is,

1. Think you can.

2. Work hard.

3. Get smart.

Learning is great but learning how to learn is even better in my opinion. Intelligence is a function of experience so I guess you are smarter today than you were yesterday. Well done!

Every time you sit and play, regardless if'n it's the same song over and over, you are without a doubt improving. Myself, I tend to play the first song I learned on the guitar some 61 years ago at least every time I play, just to satisfy myself of any improvement. Depending upon my mood, sometimes I feel I'm getting better. I learned a long time ago, and once I admitted I'm me and nobody else, I found myself sounding better. I earned my keep with the guitar and sorry voice for many years, before I Married, being invited to every get together where ever, as long as I brought my guitar. My biggest awakening was My Bride had more talent than I did, once I admitted this, I really became myself with my own style. We've been together now 53 years, only play together once in a while, but, I'm still invited to weekly jams, mainly as a gesture of "what used to be". Play to enjoy yourself and play to like what you play. Just in case you never become a star, always please yourself before any one else. Have fun!

That's right-----"have fun." Not many of us are making much money doing this, so we better be having fun....... If you're hearing your own improvement, then you're enjoying yourself and aside from professional musicians, that's pretty much what this is about. Your improvement is obvious. Now get to an open mic and let an audience hear you. Your confidence will grow even more.

Forgive MP as I know you mean well but Lars isn't ready for playing in public. Unless he really feels it would help , but I don't think it's quite there yet

A while ago I'd say that would never happen but lo and behold it's all heading in the right direction .

I hope you aren't offended Lars and I wish you all the very best with your mission

Forgive MP as I know you mean well but Lars isn't ready for playing in public. Unless he really feels it would help , but I don't think it's quite there yet

A while ago I'd say that would never happen but lo and behold it's all heading in the right direction .

I hope you aren't offended Lars and I wish you all the very best with your mission

No offense taken. I totally agree about not being ready. Also, open mics don't exist here, at least not where I live. So it becomes more of a hypothetical thing.

I do understand what MP is saying about confidence, though, and I totally agree with him.

I just managed to do a song more or less in tune. That is a big milestone for me, but singing ONE song in tune ONE time is not worth a cigar (Em7 certainly agrees).

I need to be able to do it over a wider range of songs and in a consistent manner. That is my goal. I would love to one day be able to perform, but it is not my main aspiration.

What I love to do is writing songs, and I would one day like to record them in as professionally a manner as I can afford (just my voice and guitar, and perhaps my neighbor on organ/accordion, that's all). The song posted above might have passable singing for now, but I realize that there is still a long way to go.

My song posts might sometimes come across as being frustrated in tone, but make no mistake, I enjoy the process and love to do this. I do think my goals above are realistic, and sincerely hope you guys tell me if that is not the case. Also, I wonder if you think the songwriting holds up well enough for recording one day, given solid vocals are in place?

Thanks once again for all great advice given. There is a lot of wisdom around here.

Lars

—that's all there really is to it. End of story?

Melodically, your song "Sweetheart Caroline 2" is just too monotone to show your worth as a singer. Why don't you sing one of your childrens' songs or so for us if feedback is what you really want? For example, the hymn

(chords here) is a great lesson in singing; the first two verses are entirely written in C major, the purest of keys, making it a great practice piece for the shower.

If you want to sing out, sing out—that's all there really is to it. End of story?

Melodically, your song "Sweetheart Caroline 2" is just too monotone to show your worth as a singer. Why don't you sing one of your childrens' songs or so for us if feedback is what you really want? For example, the hymn/ode "Morning Has Broken" (chords here) is a great lesson in singing; the first two verses are entirely written in C major, the purest of keys, making it a great practice piece for the shower.

The traditional songs are actually fantastic to sing to develop as a singer and learn melody and range. I remember Sal and FB suggested Wild Mountain Thyme and Wayferring Stranger and they are now my favourite songs to sing. Even old Elvis like Cant Help Falling in Love and Love me Tender are great songs to get the feel for a strong melody.

I found the two key ingredients for a song that the audience will notice is a groove they can feel and an appealing melody. The rest is just saprkle on top.

As far as "open mics" go, most people are never ready until they finally just do it. Lars, if you're waiting until you sing on the level of some professional artist, you'll be 100 and by then you won't care about doing it. Get out there and play, my friend. Be who "you" are. You will learn a mountain of information, gain confidence, and likely make a few friends. If all you do is sing for us, all you're going to hear is "Yeah, that sounds better," "It's good, but you need to sing higher," "Sounds good, but you're a little off-key," "You're doing great," "Doesn't sound as good as the last time," "Getting better," "Yep, you've really improved."----and none of our comments, praise, suggestions are going to make you sound like you want. We all simply sound like who we are (and I enjoy your music, so keep putting it on here).....We can all tell each other how good we sound in our songs until the cows come home, but aside from a very rare situation, none of us are going to be out there in the audience when one of us performs in public. Not trying to rush you, but I'm running four (at the moment) "open mics" each month and I hear people that can't play guitar as well as you do and some who struggle with the same doubts about singing that you have. Some people are still fighting with G, C, D. I think you're at a point where playing in public will make you stronger and inspire you to do better......Just my view. Doesn't make me right and someone else wrong. Keep posting your songs and I'll keep commenting AND I'll keep thinking that you're ready for another venue besides here. [thumbup] [thumbup]

I'm no singer but like you decided to be the best I can. I took a couple lessons and am lucky to be married to a real singer that can tell me when I'm flat or sharp.

I will share what I learned at my first lesson, as I think it would be helpful. Your voice sounds like it's coming from your upper chest as did mine ... I was told that when I take a breath my chest shouldn't move but instead my belly should expand. Our voice should come from down low ... it gives us more power which equals more control.

Carry on and I'll do the same [thumbup]

Yep! Fun is what it is all about for me. I constantly hear from guitarists wondering if they are "good" but it is a false comparison. The only person that has to feel satisfied or happy is the performer. It is an expression of being human. We paint, write, sing, craft, and express ourselves because it is part of our humanity.

PM already sent, but otherwise no problem at all on my part. I will gladly listen right here instead to all advice he can give. I do appreciate it.

Lars

I don't care Lars. If there is anything in our correspondence that you feel would be helpful to the other members of the forum feel free to share it. I don't hoard learning. I will say that most of what I write is stream of consciousness so it might need a little editing to point out the important points.

• 3 weeks later...

Been practicing the scales as suggested by turtle above, and man, I really do think I'm starting to get a grip on this singing business. As a little test for myself, I recorded these four songs, first takes only, to hear what I sound like without much preparation for each song. I'm very pleased and can hear some real improvements. I'm no Sinatra, that's for sure, but I'm not completely hopless either anymore [biggrin]

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/where-the-wheat-grows-to-the

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/way-up-on-the-hill-new

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/northern-star-new

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/red-dirt-of-dixie-new

Lars

Lars68, You must realize in this world are several million folks today that have your dreams. 60 years ago in my world many million others had the same dream, myself included. I never made it beyond neighborhood and local shows. Being young with dreams and high hopes are the best thing that youth has to offer and nothing will ever change that, I just wish I could go back to then, even so, I'd do nothing much else different other than try a little harder. Most importantly, work to please yourself rather than others, and you'll go much father in your quest. Common live and learn. Good luck, but mostly, enjoy what you're doing and entertain yourself.

Lars68, You must realize in this world are several million folks today that have your dreams. 60 years ago in my world many million others had the same dream, myself included. I never made it beyond neighborhood and local shows. Being young with dreams and high hopes are the best thing that youth has to offer and nothing will ever change that, I just wish I could go back to then, even so, I'd do nothing much else different other than try a little harder. Most importantly, work to please yourself rather than others, and you'll go much father in your quest. Common live and learn. Good luck, but mostly, enjoy what you're doing and entertain yourself.

Very well put and a thoughtful piece of advice. Youth has passed me by too (I'll be fifty early next year) and my ambitions as far as music don't venture far from my own couch, and it never has. My drive and ambitions only have to do with learning for my own sake, for a feeling of satisfaction in being able to do what has been a dream for so long, to write, sing, and play. The four songs above are a step in that direction. They were all one track, first take, recordings of where my abilities currently stand. I'm definetly not there yet, but I've come a long way, and I still enjoy the journey.

Lars

Lars, I listened to your audio files and they sound fine, but I think I've lost track of what you're trying to prove to yourself. Don't worry about being 50. Just get out and perform somewhere. If Dylan had stayed home instead of going to coffee shops, think of all we'd have missed. Your guitar playing is good. Your vocals are good. You're writing good songs. Now go sing them for an audience.

Wonderful! I could be wrong but it seems like you your improvement is accelerating, no? I am glad to hear that the approach we discussed proved useful. Are you ready for another lesson?

Yes, I think I'm learning faster now. Been practicing a lot which helps [biggrin] I appreciate the offer to help further, but I need to work more on the scales before I'm ready.

Thanks for listening!

Lars

Lars, I listened to your audio files and they sound fine, but I think I've lost track of what you're trying to prove to yourself. Don't worry about being 50. Just get out and perform somewhere. If Dylan had stayed home instead of going to coffee shops, think of all we'd have missed. Your guitar playing is good. Your vocals are good. You're writing good songs. Now go sing them for an audience.

Larry, thanks for the encouragements. I think we perhaps are coming to this hobby from two different directions. You appear to find your main motivation and satisfaction in delivering your music to a live audience, and I bet you are great at that. Me on the other hand, don't think about that too much. I get my kicks out of the songs, writing, singing/playing, and recording. Practice-record-practice-record then repeat [biggrin] It is not about proving something to myself, as you might think. It is all about moving forward, trying to be the best I can at something I love.

I might go out and play somewhere eventually, if my development continues and I can get up enough nerve, but it is not necessarily a goal of mine.

However, making a good sounding recording as a self produced CD would be fun to do one day, to document the songs. Larry, I remember you posting studio works-in-progress a while back. Did you finish them? If so, I would love to listen to them.

Lars

Archived