Gibson Brands Forums

Joining The 2017 SG Standard T Club

Silvercrow

Well- I've been on hiatus from this (and some other) boards for awhile. But I think of you all often and I thought it might be a good "comeback" since I just got this delivered Wednesday!

DSC03794.jpg

I absolutely love it! My only critique, and this is just a personal thing - I wish it were PTP instead of PCB! I usually switch caps out at some tie on my guitars, so the board may "go" sometime in the future and get re-done PTP. Meanwhile- my this is my second lifetime new Gibson (others bought used, the other new one was a Marauder in 1978 or 79...).

Fit and finish is tremendous- tone is great! Action needed a little tweaking for me but took all of about 10 minutes.

I almost bought an open box 2016 but MF screwed up and then offered me a discount on this one. I'm glad because my LP has 490/498 pickups and the '17 has the 57 Classics- plus a hard case! VERY pleased!

Brian

Enjoy, it is a good looking one. Looks like a reissue almost. I am with you on the ptp wiring. I prefer hardwired too. I just purchased my first brand new Gibson (first brand new electric guitar ever by me) this year as well a 2017 firebird t. Mine is ptp wiring but it has a plastic input jack. I was going to just set it up and put it away and not play it because I wanted a museum piece per say but I am finding that I really enjoy the guitar and play it all of the time. It looks like your truss rod cover does not say SG on it like the other modern ones I have saw. Is it stock or did you change it? I like a blank cover on an SG standard. Congrats and enjoy!!

Enjoy, it is a good looking one. Looks like a reissue almost. I am with you on the ptp wiring. I prefer hardwired too. I just purchased my first brand new Gibson (first brand new electric guitar ever by me) this year as well a 2017 firebird t. Mine is ptp wiring but it has a plastic input jack. I was going to just set it up and put it away and not play it because I wanted a museum piece per say but I am finding that I really enjoy the guitar and play it all of the time. It looks like your truss rod cover does not say SG on it like the other modern ones I have saw. Is it stock or did you change it? I like a blank cover on an SG standard. Congrats and enjoy!!

That Firebird sounds sweet! Have you posted any pics of it yet? Would love to see it!

I did change the truss rod cover- one of my "things", I rarely like the "branded" covers and I thought I'd have to buy one but as it turned out, I had a new one stashed away (perhaps waiting for another Gibson?).

Thanks for the comments!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived