Gibson Brands Forums

Static noise with tone wheel in pickup

blindboygrunt

I have a fishman pickup in a guitar

When I turn the tone wheel adjuster at the sound hole I get static noise . Am assuming it's gotten dusty or something. Is there a simple fix for this ?

Cheers folks

If, indeed, dust is the issue, a quick blast with a can of compressed air (like those you get at computer stores) should fix it if. Beyond that, I'm clueless.

I have a fishman pickup in a guitar

When I turn the tone wheel adjuster at the sound hole I get static noise . Am assuming it's gotten dusty or something. Is there a simple fix for this ?

Cheers folks

Any proprietary Switch Cleaner will do the trick. They come in sprays or liquids.

A quick search on Amazon should get you what you need.

Thanks fellas

I'm right with diagnosis too aren't I ?

Tone wheel works and causes no bother except the slight crackle when adjusted. Like an old volume nob on a old radio

How long has it been crackly? If it's only just started, a clean will do the trick. Problems can arise if it's been dirty for a while, then dirt can cause tracks in the potentiometer which will be permanent.

I could just ignore it ?

Harmless isn't it ?

Sure it's harmless. Unless you're continually using the control mid performance it's something you can easily live with.

Nothing's going to break.

Compressed air...followed by possibly naphtha rinse? I'd suggest WD40 but after a while the lubricant in it can attract dust. I think they make electrical contact cleaner sprays? Any electric guitar techs chime in here?

Never use WD40 around a guitar. It has silicone in it and will render the finish in a guitar impossible to refinish.

Don't know if the controls on the Fishman are easily removed to safely even use the proper electronic cleaner as Wee Davy suggested (would still want to protect the guitar with cloths, etc). . .

SBh9SNJ.png

. . . if not, couldn't you simply volume down before making any tone adjustment?

Don't know if the controls on the Fishman are easily removed to safely even use the proper electronic cleaner as Wee Davy suggested (would still want to protect the guitar with cloths, etc). . .

SBh9SNJ.png

. . . if not, couldn't you simply volume down before making any tone adjustment?

Yeah , see above

I'm happy not moving it . It's not like I have a different tone for songs

I just thought , for an easy fix, I'd fix it but I'm just as happy to leave it be

Now I know it's not gonna get worse

Yeah , see above

I'm happy not moving it . It's not like I have a different tone for songs

I just thought , for an easy fix, I'd fix it but I'm just as happy to leave it be

Now I know it's not gonna get worse

It could be a loose wire or faulty part.......and it may need a doctor.

BluesKing777.

Haha

I think I've said 'no it's not a tuma ' every time someone says headache since tat movie came out

HAH ! Yes. My favorite movie line!

I usually get blank stares - maybe it's my Arnold Accent, or they think I'm saying 'tuna' instead of 'tuma'

But after several years, regular application seems to have cured my wife of headaches.

Archived