Gibson Brands Forums

Slide On My Lowden LSE1

BluesKing777

I did a solo bottleneck/vocal version of Elmore James' "Talk To Me Baby".

Played on my 1993 Lowden LSE1 (Limited Stage Edition).

I was reading a review of the latest Lowden Stage Edition, which have thinner bodies to make it easier to EQ for soundguys and stop feedback on stage, and the reviewer mentioned he liked the guitar for blues and...slide! I would have thought most Lowdens are played in DADGAD tuning, but a short twist of the 3rd string to make it F# instead of G makes...Open D tuning! Slide!

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/talktomebaby777b

BluesKing777.

Yes! Upbeat. Love it. Though you played it masterfully, I'm not convinced that's the guitar for the slide, which I kind of wanted to hear more sustain from....

Thanks!

There was an element of 'watch out, you are going to bruise the frets with the slide' in the back of my head as I played the song! [biggrin]

You are probably correct about it not being convincing for slide, but there are a few elements that I like, it weighs a feather and has a cutaway, wher-as I have the full heavy duty slide Nationals that have THE sound but are just so heavy and awkward on the lap that I don't play them much lately. I have a killer half featherweight 1952 Gibson LG1 that needs a neck reset and a doctor every time I look at it but it has an (non standard) ebony bridge that lets the slide just plain 'howl', just before something falls off!

BluesKing777.

Archived