Gibson Brands Forums

Arm 'Haze' Cleaning Suggestions

brixa

Got myself a fab HD-28 a few weeks back. It's a 2014 in the natural colour. Only defect on this is the previous owner must have had 'alien' sweat or something as there is a very light blue haze on the upper bout where his arm has leaned over and sweated through his shirt (i'm assuming). I'm used to this on guitars and can normally buff this off with the usual stuff - but not this time.

Over the past few weeks, in small amounts, i've tried Virtuoso polish, naptha, Martin polish, T Cut etc to no avail.

Any other trade secrets?...or do I just 'sweat it out' so to speak and it'll fade as the top matures?

Other than that she's a beaut and perfect in every way. Cheers in advance.

Thanks - you'll do for me. That could be my guitar! Perhaps it was a finish flaw. What a fantastic instrument. I've played it that much I've had to use Ibuprofen gel on my arm for arm strain. Cheers for that

Got myself a fab HD-28 a few weeks back. It's a 2014 in the natural colour. Only defect on this is the previous owner must have had 'alien' sweat or something as there is a very light blue haze on the upper bout where his arm has leaned over and sweated through his shirt (i'm assuming). I'm used to this on guitars and can normally buff this off with the usual stuff - but not this time.

Over the past few weeks, in small amounts, i've tried Virtuoso polish, naptha, Martin polish, T Cut etc to no avail.

Virtuoso Polish is fairly mild. Your best bet is Virtuoso Cleaner. If that doesn't do it, you might as well leave it alone.

If 'T-Cut 'wont remove it nothing will. It is basically the same as Virtuoso cleaner, with added micro abrasive.

I've used the Gibson branded polish to remove the "arm haze" from Gibson bursts with excellent results, but if the finish has started to wear, then I think it's just a fact of life you'll have to deal with, or do what I did with my HD-28 and sell it! Kidding aside, and I never sold mine because of not being able to remove the haze, I just found myself picking up my Gibsons 95% of the time at home, and 100% of the time when I went to a jam, etc. outside of the house. Great guitars though and a true classic if that's the flavor you're looking for for sure.

Any other trade secrets?...or do I just 'sweat it out' so to speak and it'll fade as the top matures?

Other than that she's a beaut and perfect in every way. Cheers in advance.

Try calling the Martin Guitar Company in Nazareth, PA to ask their suggestion. I would think they have a Customer Service Department.

Or, you might want to try the Unofficial Martin Forum if it's still around.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I've hear the auto polish - Meguiars Clear Coat Safe Polishing Compound has been used with success for arm haze.

I've used it on my Gibson's for small, barely visible scratches and it worked great.

I guess the question is whether the 'blue haze' is a stain/discoloration or simply a layer of some type of gunk. Sounds more like the former.

But, I wouldn't want someone else's chemical spill on my guitar unless it was an errant drop or two of tequila in the sound hole.

I've hear the auto polish - Meguiars Clear Coat Safe Polishing Compound has been used with success for arm haze.

I've used it on my Gibson's for small, barely visible scratches and it worked great.

I guess the question is whether the 'blue haze' is a stain/discoloration or simply a layer of some type of gunk. Sounds more like the former.

But, I wouldn't want someone else's chemical spill on my guitar unless it was an errant drop or two of tequila in the sound hole.

Individual chemistry comes into play a bit. Some folks have less acidic metabolisms. I played for a while with another guitar player, where I was astounded with how quickly he would kill strings on my acoustic, which we would share during the evening, he'd play a few on it, then I would.. in one night, strings were sounding like I had them on there for 6 months.. He was also a repair tech and co-owned the local store, he's the guy who told me about "Lighter Fluid" -- (Naptha) as a cleaner. He'd use that to take his arm grime of my '78 Yari the finish on that guitar is indestructible too. until he touched it. after each gig, he would GIVE me a new set strings to replace the ones he killed the previous gig,, And they'd be fine till the next show/gig.

btw.. I have used Meguiars stratch X with GREAT results numerous times. always keep a bottle handy! [thumbup]

If it's really bad have it buffed out. I recently sold my Smeck and in the process of getting it ready I took it to the shop and put it on the buffing wheel. Worked like a charm. Now I wipe them down with a microfiber cloth after each play to try to keep the gunk from building up. If it's not too heavy, spit will take it off as well.

Just to add...

My HD28 corner discoloration is shiny, and I have tried naptha, as well as polish products. Whoever owned the guitar before me at some kind of chemistry, and it went through the finish and into the wood.

There is NOTHING that will get it gone.

OP - just save yourself the aggravation. fugettabattit

Thanks guys. Guitar is exactly as ThemisSal has just described. Still nice shiny surface - seems to be in the wood. I'm leaving it as is - too busy playing it - it's not really bad - top will colour up in time. I've had X series Martins, D28's, road series, 16's and more. This HD28 and my new D18 standard from last year are the best Martins I've ever played. Next up is to get the J45 Standard upgraded with bone nut n saddle. Thanks to all who replied.

I personally put more attention how a guitar sounds. You can get into trouble if you take trying to remove that haze or whatever it is and get obsessed with doing so. It can be like a tattoo coverup. You try to cover it up (or use different products on that haze) with good intentions but you may just end up with even more of an eyesore. Probably best to just leave it alone if Virtuoso or your basic guitar polish doesn't do the trick.

I would echo what Jannusguy said. A high speed polishing wheel will give you the

definitive answer. It will very likely work and at the very least polish your

guitar to a beautiful finish. For probably $30. or so you could have the spot removed.

I'm with Sal , the 'damage' is under the top layer of lacquer

So polishing or scrubbing at the surface won't sort it

Give it time

If you're real impatient and hate it a lot then go to a trusted luthier. Don't be following advice from internet from diagnosises taken from a picture

My go to gig guitar has that rash. It is hot and humid here in the southeast and a fella can't help put perspire. It will wear off with the finish one day and get real funky looking then. I love my guitar and it is my main axe (of many) and will just take on the patina of working a lot of gigs under a lot of conditions.

First off, what a beautiful C.F. Martin & Co. HD-28. I live about an hour away from the Martin Factory in Nazareth, Pennsylvania. I have taken the factory tour 3X. Regarding the "ARM HAZE", I also use Virtuoso Cleaner & Virtuoso Polish when I either buy a "used" guitar or if over time the regular Gibson Guitar Polish I use regularly isn't enough to buff out "ARM HAZE". Yes, I have "Alien" perspiration. If I wear a Silver necklace it will turn Black. I have been told my sweat is very acidic. I have to deal with "ARM HAZE" all the time. Okay, regarding your beautiful HD-28, I would suggest taking it either to the Martin Factory or taking it to a very skilled Luthier who deals with refinishing and painting guitars. A really good Luthier who is also a very good guitar builder should be able to get that "ARM HAZE" corrected for you. You could also try and e-mail C.F. Martin & Co. with pictures and ask them what you can do to bring that nasty greenish haze out. I hope that helps. BTW, I happened to run into an employee of Martin whose job is to buff the final finish to a shiny glean. He seemed to know a lot about finishes.

First off, what a beautiful C.F. Martin & Co. HD-28. I live about an hour away from the Martin Factory in Nazareth, Pennsylvania. I have taken the factory tour 3X. Regarding the "ARM HAZE", I also use Virtuoso Cleaner & Virtuoso Polish when I either buy a "used" guitar or if over time the regular Gibson Guitar Polish I use regularly isn't enough to buff out "ARM HAZE". Yes, I have "Alien" perspiration. If I wear a Silver necklace it will turn Black. I have been told my sweat is very acidic. I have to deal with "ARM HAZE" all the time. Okay, regarding your beautiful HD-28, I would suggest taking it either to the Martin Factory or taking it to a very skilled Luthier who deals with refinishing and painting guitars. A really good Luthier who is also a very good guitar builder should be able to get that "ARM HAZE" corrected for you. You could also try and e-mail C.F. Martin & Co. with pictures and ask them what you can do to bring that nasty greenish haze out. I hope that helps. BTW, I happened to run into an employee of Martin whose job is to buff the final finish to a shiny glean. He seemed to know a lot about finishes.

Cool experiences! I can't get too worked up about arm haze - but the alien sweat is true for sure. If I try wearing a wristwatch that isn't stainless steel, I'll corrode the case past utility in 6 months or before. Used guitars with pre-existing arm haze, in my warped view of the universe, are similar to pre-washed Levis😄

Archived