Gibson Brands Forums

The Woodstock Strat...

pippy

This link was posted in the 'Investment...' thread but I thought others might like to read it. Fascinating stuff.

I knew Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen owned the guitar but thought it was just a case of 'Rich Man Buys Expensive Toy With Spare Change'.

How wrong I was. I had misjudged his sentiments by about a million miles;

http://www.guitarafi...his-resume.html

Pip.

Wow, that's the good life.

The thing that I find funny is how Fender purists despise anything from the CBS era and yet there are these guys that made a huge mark on Rock n Roll with those CBS-era Strats like Hendrix and Blackmore.

If that Strat wasn't picked up by Hendrix it'd be just another CBS Strat but instead it seems to be a fine guitar.

This link was posted in the 'Investment...' thread but I thought others might like to read it. Fascinating stuff.

I knew Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen owned the guitar but thought it was just a case of 'Rich Man Buys Expensive Toy With Spare Change'.

How wrong I was. I had misjudged his sentiments by about a million miles;

http://www.guitarafi...his-resume.html

Pip.

Thanks for posting this Pippy, very interesting.

The thing that I find funny is how Fender purists despise anything from the CBS era and yet there are these guys that made a huge mark on Rock n Roll with those CBS-era Strats like Hendrix and Blackmore...

When I played the pubs'n'clubs circuit in the very late '70s/ '80s and before the 'Vintage' stuff kicked-off in earnest my backup to my '64 was a '71 and it remains the second-best 'old' Strat I've ever played although, obviously, it wasn't that old when I was playing it!

It had pretty much all the tones of the '64 with a bit more added 'bite' which was good for the Rory Gallagher style stuff and the build quality was better than the '64 (3-bolt & micro-tilt excepted).

One of the absolute finest blues-rock guitarists I've ever had the pleasure to see & hear, the late George Ross Watt, played an early '70s 'Triple White' Strat and was, IMO, peerless.

I had too many 'big-head' Strats back in the day for them to hold any novelty value for me nowadays and I've always preferred the aesthetic of the old shape h'stock but pre-CBS / CBS quality? As always; every guitar must be judged on its own merits.

Pip.

Archived