Gibson Brands Forums

Martin content

blindboygrunt

Looks like a D28 with some aftermarket Gibson tuners that look ridiculously out of place on that guitar. Personally don't really see what's special about the sound of that particular guitar as the mandolin seems to drown out the Martin and he's just sparsely fingerpicking so you can't really hear the guitar that well. Doesn't seem to have the warmth and fullness that most Martin dreads have, but he is capo's. Kind of has more of a dry dare I say Gibson sound! Maybe that's why you like it!

that's for certain a Takemine. Looks to be a late 70s/early 80s D28 copy.

(notice the truss rod cover on the headstock.. no expert here but AFAIK Martins never had a truss rod access at the headstock)

and if you pause the vid at the right time, you can see the name on the HS

BTW.. My buddy had one very similar, was a really nice guitar.

Ah I'm wasting a fortune on fancy guitars !!

well, You'd have to PLAY it your self to know for sure tho.. And, if I'm right and that is a 70s/80s tak.. they were quite nice and for the time, they were NOT all that cheap. They don't make em like they used to! I have a '78 Alvarez Yari that is about as good as any martin from that time frame. The cash outlay for that with a case was close to $1,200 it's one guitar I will never part with, I've had it forever. but - As nice as it is, still can't touch my J200

I just sold a '76 Takamine D28 12-string. REALLY nice guitar. they were either all laminated, or the "S" model which was laminated back and sides with a solid top. They pop up in both 6 and 12 string versions now and then locally anywhere from $300-$600. Great value if they're in good shape. My '76 12-string was gorgeous and after a set-up was great. Didn't need a neck reset or anything, which is good because I hears resetting the neck on one of those is near impossible given the type of adhesive they used.

Archived