Gibson Brands Forums

Decisions, decisions....

Mkeane

Hello everybody,

I'm brand new to this forum, but already enjoying it. I have decided to finally upgrade from the off brand stratocaster I learned to play on to a Gibson. When I feel eat started looking, I was dead set on a les Paul studio goldtop. After multiple trips to local music stores and guitar centers, the SG felt and sounded better than the rest.

I have decided to go the "used" route due to my budget and have been scouring Craigslist. After some research on SGs and am worried about purchasing a "fake". I am currently on the fence with a 2005 sg standard and a 2016 sg standard. The 2016 is almost new and going for $800 and the 2005 is going for $700. I'll post the ads I'm looking at below. Any comments or suggestions would help me immensely!!!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/msg/6061321499.html

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/6070281366.html

They both look real to me (although I am no SG expert). The 2005 says it has Seymour Duncan JB pickups which may sound great, but are not the stock pickups that an SG comes with. So if you have played a few with the stock pickups, this one may sound quite a bit different than you are expecting.

If there is a chance you can go and play them (not sure how far you are from the sellers) that would be best, then you could better judge which one fits you better.

But either looks to be in good condition and reasonably priced.

They both look real to me (although I am no SG expert). The 2005 says it has Seymour Duncan JB pickups which may sound great, but are not the stock pickups that an SG comes with. So if you have played a few with the stock pickups, this one may sound quite a bit different than you are expecting.

If there is a chance you can go and play them (not sure how far you are from the sellers) that would be best, then you could better judge which one fits you better.

^^^^^^

That

Thank you! Really appreciate the advice.

I've heard (through online forums) that the 2016 model had some tone flaws. Can you elaborate why you would go 2016? Because there is likely less wear?

Tone flaws? A 2016 comes with 490 R & T pickups. Those pickups are decent in my opinion and the give a real Gibson sound. I have a 2016 with those pickups and I love the tone on them. I also love the JB pickups but the tone will be different from a stock SG. Personally I would go for the 2016 as I like the stock guitar versus the modified 2005. If I have an SG Standard, I want it to sound like one.

I have a SH1 / JB in one of my LPs.

I also have a 2012 SG Standard and a 95 Standard both with 490r/498ts

The Duncan pickups sound good, I don't dislike the setup, but the JB at the bridge is quite aggressive.

It may not be QUITE what you're looking for.

The 490/498 combo is a well known commodity and trusted / reliable, (IMHO) quite versatile setup.

I'd be heading towards the 2016. I can't put much stalk in the blanket statements where one years production line is better or worse.

Each one will have some small quirks and minor differences in fit/finish etc, they all have to be judged individually.

Archived