Gibson Brands Forums

Shipping to the UK

Cougar

I just got an email asking how much to ship the guitar I'm selling to the UK. I politely declined. I only ship to the lower 48, which is hassle enough!

It's an interesting question though. What is the standard for shipping a guitar from US to UK, and what's the typical price (say, from the west coast)? [i don't think the ~ $600 value of my guitar would justify the cost of shipping anyway.]

And yeah, I've seen all the talk about the extra hassle with the "rosewood restrictions," which I ain't gonna worry about because... I only ship to the lower 48. msp_glare.gif

But for those who ship international, that's not the end of it, is it? Customs? What's the story there?

Guest Farnsbarns

From the buyers perspective it still makes sense because your $600 guitar would probably be more like £800 here. You wouldn't need to worry about customs, that will be dealt with this end. The buyer will have to pay the duties before the package is released from the port. I don't think the rosewood would be a problem but that's all a bit vague right now. I wouldn't​ bother getting involved if I were you, either. Just seems like unnecessary hassle from your perspective.

From the buyers perspective it still makes sense because your $600 guitar would probably be more like £800 here. You wouldn't need to worry about customs, that will be dealt with this end. The buyer will have to pay the duties before the package is released from the port. I don't think the rosewood would be a problem but that's all a bit vague right now. I wouldn't​ bother getting involved if I were you, either. Just seems like unnecessary hassle from your perspective.

It will cost your customer appro 33% of the purchase price to land it in UK, so a landed price of 800usd. but as Farnsbarns says it might be worth it as guitars are considerably more expensive here. If you don't want the hassle give him your zip code and the weight and dimensions of the box and he can contact UPS or DHL and get a price that way.

Archived