Gibson Brands Forums

Keb' Mo' and 1928 L-01 Blues Tribute

Wayne427

I happen to own both a Keb' Mo' and 1928 L-01 Blues Tribute. My dilemma is I enjoy both guitars. The are my only acoustics. I recently acquired the Blues Trubute on a crazy sale. In many ways they are the same guitar, but also different. The tone woods are the same a little more detail on the Keb' Mo'.

I'm wresting with whether I should keep both. While they are both excellent and the Blues tribute is just about the most fun guitar I have ever owned. I can get a little more of a bigger acoustic sound out of the Keb' Mo' but am thinking I want a less woody sound when playing that style. Thinking of parting with it to grab a bigger Gibson. Possibly an American Eagle. I'll never be a dreadnaut guy because of my physique. I like small body and am willing to compromise. Just so attached to both but can't see myself with 3 acoustics. That's the dilemma.

Any advice?

So, what's wrong with three acoustics? This may not be the ideal place to look for folks to discourage ownership of multi-guitars😄 If you don't feel comfortable owning three, perhaps it would be best to bypass that problem and focus on owning four instead? We are dedicated to helping you accumulate lots more! You're dealing with addicts😇

I hear you. I did take the Keb' to a store today and played it against an LG 2 American Eagle. There was a definite difference, but it sounded kind of muted. Possibly strings would change that.. It was on sale. For the month of April you can finance for up to 36 months. I could have added it for payments over 24 months of about $80 and kept the Keb' or they'd have given pretty much an even trade if I went that way. The Eagle was on the edge of the size of guitar I'd move to.

So, what's wrong with three acoustics? This may not be the ideal place to look for folks to discourage ownership of multi-guitars😄 If you don't feel comfortable owning three, perhaps it would be best to bypass that problem and focus on owning four instead? We are dedicated to helping you accumulate lots more! You're dealing with addicts😇

You drive a hard bargain parder lol I just don't want to get guitar crazy. Then the dilemma would be which do I play today 🤔

I also have a 2005 R9 Les Paul. Which I practically stole during the stores February Madness sale back in 2006. Picked it up used for $3300 (Cdn) which was about $2700 US at that time. It deserves a little love every now and then as well lol

I happen to own both a Keb' Mo' and 1928 L-01 Blues Tribute. My dilemma is I enjoy both guitars. The are my only acoustics. I recently acquired the Blues Trubute on a crazy sale. In many ways they are the same guitar, but also different. The tone woods are the same a little more detail on the Keb' Mo'.

I'm wresting with whether I should keep both. While they are both excellent and the Blues tribute is just about the most fun guitar I have ever owned. I can get a little more of a bigger acoustic sound out of the Keb' Mo' but am thinking I want a less woody sound when playing that style. Thinking of parting with it to grab a bigger Gibson. Possibly an American Eagle. I'll never be a dreadnaut guy because of my physique. I like small body and am willing to compromise. Just so attached to both but can't see myself with 3 acoustics. That's the dilemma.

Any advice?

My advice would be not to sell them if you love them.

I cannot see the future but by the way you describe them ...You could regret parting with either one somewhere down the road.

Play the American Eagle and then decide

JC

Hi Wayne, I think we could be kindred spirits on guitars.

Like you I'm a big fan of small bodied guitars although I played a J45 for twenty years. It was then that I met Doyle Dykes and he put me onto small bodied guitars and I have never looked back. At present I play a CJ165 which is a small version of a J200 and a Martin 00028 which is the mother and father of small bodied guitars. Both of these are rosewood but I'm interested in a maple version of some kind.

I'm always interested in whats out there in this field so it would be nice to know how you get on with your Keb Mo and other ideas on future purchases.

I'd keep them and find a way to finance a bigger guitar that's less woody and bluesy for other styles.

I owned an American Eagle for a while and it was nice, but muted is a word I'd definitely use to describe it. A very transparent guitar which was a good all rounder but it's somewhat polite dynamic range didn't really suit my playing. I prefer a more bluesy snap and rumble from a parlour and in all honesty my L1 shaped (very) early Epi EL-00 suited me better for the small guitar role.

If you can find one (they're discontinued now), a Recording King RNJ25 would be a good choice, all solid with Maple back and sides and a longer scale neck. I had one and absolutely loved it, a really punchy and lyrical guitar. It departed in times of impecuniosity a few years ago but I still miss it.

Archived