Gibson Brands Forums

J-45: Top brace experts???

SkyRider

For J-45/Southern Jumbo Gibson web shows:

"Scalloped top bracing" for J-45 Standard

"1930's Advanced X-Braced top" for certain SJ, Limited J-45, and Signature models.

Questions:

-Is the "1930's Advanced X braced" top superior to just "Scalloped top bracing" ???

-If it's just matter of difference, why higher end such as Limited, Signature, etc gets 1930 Advanced X Braced top?

-How would tone be different with these two bracing if all else were same?

-What do you prefer? Yes, the particular one that speaks to you in person. What if buying sight unseen?

Cheers!

For J-45/Southern Jumbo Gibson web shows:

"Scalloped top bracing" for J-45 Standard

"1930's Advanced X-Braced top" for certain SJ, Limited J-45, and Signature models.

Questions:

-Is the "1930's Advanced X braced" top superior to just "Scalloped top bracing" ???

-If it's just matter of difference, why higher end such as Limited, Signature, etc gets 1930 Advanced X Braced top?

-How would tone be different with these two bracing if all else were same?

-What do you prefer? Yes, the particular one that speaks to you in person. What if buying sight unseen?

Cheers!

Define "superior"? For me personally though it seems I prefer whatever bracing is used on the older J45 True Vintage models compared to the bracing on the J45 Standards. I'm not sure if the True Vintage models, and now currently "Vintage" models use lighter, thinner braces or a slightly different pattern than what is used on the J45 Standards, but to my ears it's a noticeable difference. For the last couple years I was on the hunt for a good "newer" J45, as a vintage J45 (from the 40's/50's) was out of my price range. The J45 Standards always felt a bit too heavy, stoutly built and choked, resulting in a bit of a stifled sound. I've owned 3 Standards so far, and played every Standard I could get my hands on including a few SJ Standards as well with the same/similar results,and was left just wanting more from the guitars. Then a local shop had two used J45 True Vintage in stock and that ended up being what I was looking for. Lighter build, different bracing (like I mentioned earlier, not sure if it's thinner braces, different wood they use compared to the Standards and/or a different pattern) but it's an audible difference and worth the difference in price. Seems like they took it a step further as well with the current "Vintage" model that replace the True Vintage and added a baked top. I've only had my hands on one of these so far and it was a disappointment as well, but I ordered it online after speaking to the guys at Chicago Music Exchange, who guaranteed me this one had the goods, but once it arrived it had a horrible setup, horribly cut nut and the truss rod was very tough to turn, and sounded dead, so it went right back. Seems like most of the new Vintage models though get rave reviews, but they're expensive. I picked up my 2010 True Vintage for less than what most people would pay for a new J45 Standard after a considerable discount and am very pleased with it. I also have an Advanced Jumbo that has a totally different bracing pattern that it shares with the J35 and that guitar is a monster.

Define "superior"? For me personally though it seems I prefer whatever bracing is used on the older J45 True Vintage models compared to the bracing on the J45 Standards. I'm not sure if the True Vintage models, and now currently "Vintage" models use lighter, thinner braces or a slightly different pattern than what is used on the J45 Standards, but to my ears it's a noticeable difference. For the last couple years I was on the hunt for a good "newer" J45, as a vintage J45 (from the 40's/50's) was out of my price range. The J45 Standards always felt a bit too heavy, stoutly built and choked, resulting in a bit of a stifled sound. I've owned 3 Standards so far, and played every Standard I could get my hands on including a few SJ Standards as well with the same/similar results,and was left just wanting more from the guitars. Then a local shop had two used J45 True Vintage in stock and that ended up being what I was looking for. Lighter build, different bracing (like I mentioned earlier, not sure if it's thinner braces, different wood they use compared to the Standards and/or a different pattern) but it's an audible difference and worth the difference in price. Seems like they took it a step further as well with the current "Vintage" model that replace the True Vintage and added a baked top. I've only had my hands on one of these so far and it was a disappointment as well, but I ordered it online after speaking to the guys at Chicago Music Exchange, who guaranteed me this one had the goods, but once it arrived it had a horrible setup, horribly cut nut and the truss rod was very tough to turn, and sounded dead, so it went right back. Seems like most of the new Vintage models though get rave reviews, but they're expensive. I picked up my 2010 True Vintage for less than what most people would pay for a new J45 Standard after a considerable discount and am very pleased with it. I also have an Advanced Jumbo that has a totally different bracing pattern that it shares with the J35 and that guitar is a monster.

Thanks.

Does your J45TV have Sitka or Adi top?

Thanks.

Does your J45TV have Sitka or Adi top?

I believe its Adi. My understanding is they started with the Adi tops in 2010. Had no clue when I bought it only to find this fact out after. All I knew is I liked the way this J45 sounded better than any other Standard I have played over the last few years.

What you have noticed is :

Gibson uses 2 patterns for bracing (both scalloped)

a)A standard X bracing

b )the 1930's wide X bracing that was originally developed for the Advanced Jumbo in 1935 or 1936

One is not better than the other .It just depends on what you are looking for sonically

JC

What you have noticed is :

Gibson uses 2 patterns for bracing (both scalloped)

a)A standard X bracing

b )the 1930's wide X bracing that was originally developed for the Advanced Jumbo in 1935 or 1936

One is not better than the other .It just depends on what you are looking for sonically

JC

I thought the bracing pattern for all J45's was the same, and the J35 and Advanced Jumbo shared the other bracing pattern? Are you sure the bracing pattern between J45 Standards, True Vintage and current production vintage models are different? My understanding were they used the same bracing pattern, but they used lighter braces on the True Vintage and Vintage models compared to the J45 Standard.

I thought the bracing pattern for all J45's was the same, and the J35 and Advanced Jumbo shared the other bracing pattern? Are you sure the bracing pattern between J45 Standards, True Vintage and current production vintage models are different? My understanding were they used the same bracing pattern, but they used lighter braces on the True Vintage and Vintage models compared to the J45 Standard.

The J 45 True Vintage and J 45 Vintage models use the Wide X.

For a Standard J 45 they use standard X .

JC

The J 45 True Vintage and J 45 Vintage models use the Wide X.

For a Standard J 45 they use standard X .

JC

And for serious reproductions, like the Legend, they use the same bracing used by the guitars they are replicating, whatever that may be.

So if they ever made a Hummingbird Legend or a l60's J 45 legend I am guessing that's when they would use the non scalloped braces ?

JC

That should be the case, but who knows? We're talking Gibson here.

In promoting the Legend series (J-45, L-OO) they make a point about replicating the original bracing.

Archived