Gibson Brands Forums

New to me - Fender Basebreaker 15

JerseyRay

So a couple of weekends ago, I traded my little tube Vox for a Vox VTX20 modeling amp. What I liked is the light weight. It had a little 8" speaker. For what is was, it sounded OK. BUT... I just couldn't find that sound... so I went back tonight and returned it towards a used Fender basebreaker 15. Yea, that's the sound I was looking for and just couldn't get it in that little Vox no matter what setting I tried. Night and day.... for what it was it was ok... but the basebreaker 15 has a really bad A$$ sound to it. Rich and has depth. I was up in the air, blues JR or this and I went with this. Anyone have one, any preference between a basebreaker and a blues Jr.

VERY sweet little amp! Congrats.

I'd never heard of it before but I'd like to try one out for myself sometime.

As an aside; that 'Blackie' lookalike sounded sublime. Hasn't The Cap'n's playing has come-on a long way over the years?!

Pip.

Congrats on the new amp. I go into my local GC and plug into the Bassbreakers every now and then. I like the versatility of tone it gets. I don't have a Blues Jr but I do have a Blues Deluxe Reissue and for how I use it, I wouldn't trade it for a Bassbreaker but I may need to buy one to compliment the BDR. [thumbup]

For a practice/portable jam amp, a B JR is a great amp, I have had two of them. sound good, and very uncomplicated, but you have to front end them with something if you want some decent grind. And when cranked, the stock speaker gets a bit boxy sounding. For recording, they are a decent choice for that clean/slightly driven sounds.

I had a Vox ADVT30. that was ok, but very limited with the on board effects, and channel controls.

The Basebreakers have interested me since their arrival, I've never tried one. I have three larger tube rigs I use for most of the heavy lifting, but it is really good to have a small combo that can cover a lot of ground.

For that, I've been using a few Mustangs (III and IV) and I've gigged with the IV a few times. They do the job, sound really good, and have a decent remote control setup with foot switching capabilities. Handy when you need to get on and off real quick, like for a one set / multi band event where you're mic'd up.

Archived