Gibson Brands Forums

Tomorrow night I'll use this....

rct

Cool, you must drive a long bed pickup truck. The case for those things are huge. I need to take mine out of the case because it does not get any play if it's not handy.

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

I call it The Surfboard.

That's a 2006 '76 ReIssue. It was a Christmas Present, 2006. She bought it, wrapped it, hid it, and put it next to the tree without me knowing it. The case is taller on end than she is. That was kewl.

After my Jazz, thee best put together guitar I've ever owned. I love this thing.

rct

Lucky you

i took mine to jam with friends before I bought my LP, it is a little more work transporting that big *** Explorer case.

Explorers are such unique guitars. I've been getting the itch of trying different pickups in it. I bought a set of GFS Fat Pats and may try them in it soon, those pickups are great for hard rock and sound great clean too.

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

I call it The Surfboard.

ever seen a movie called "joe vs. the volcano"? if you have, you know the scene i am thinking of, with the luggage. [laugh]

i loved my explorer, it wasn't as sweet looking as that one though. it played great, was well balanced, and sounded awesome. i used to laugh at the hugeness of the case all the time too. i would have kept it, but it was like wearing a tree for 3 hours. just too heavy for my taste. someday though, i'll get a weight-relieved one.

20151227_121648-1.jpg

quite the weapon of mass destruction right there.. have a good gig man!

For tonight's shenanigans with he boys I roll with, it shall be these two:

B7-LP1_zpssc40pame.jpg

SGClassic2006.jpg

Those look like great choices! I rarely play my SG Classic out. I need to take it out more. [thumbup]

Those look like great choices! I rarely play my SG Classic out. I need to take it out more. [thumbup]

It sounded killer. the P90s bite like a rabid dog! (normally that would be bad, but in this case it was good!)

Hey Ron, how'd the gig go?

Weird.

Drummer called out, he's got the same cold/flu/allergy complications I have, only his is way worse. So they call me up and tell me we are using J for drums and am I ok with that. Sure! I says, he started drums long before he was a guitar player, so I know it'll be great! Great! they say, they didn't know that.

So I'm not at all worried, but bass player is nearly frantic. He's grumbling through set up and J isn't here yet and it's almost 6 and we are on at 7 and on and on. So I said don't sweat it, it is hot enough, we are killing ourselves in this heat already, just don't worry.

J shows up, sets up, quick consultation for the sets and great. We've played with this guy as a guitar player front man many times, all of us, so he is a friend and someone I trust on any instrument. He trusts me on any instrument but drums, so we were bummed we couldn't trade, but we figured it would be fine.

First song, first set, Spooky, but more like 'lanta Rhythm Section of the 70's. I start it, J is in beautifully, I sing the first line, it is all good, this is going to work. First solo, first time up the neck, first big bend on the B and BAM! bust it. Soldier through the song, bass player is about to have a stroke, J holds light, I stick string on and tune up before he can even joke with the audience.

Bass player comes over and says man this can't get any worse. I say easy big fella, one broke string does not a gig make. They pay us to do this remember that. We do Follow Me with real three part because our usual drummer isn't a singer, and we've got some serious good here.

I start Sunshine Of Yer Love and that's it, place goes nuts, had 'em the rest of the night. We had serious magic on Knockin on Heaven's Door, Surrender, couple others. Crowd knew some of our schtick so even vague intros like "...here's an old song about diein..." they'd be screamin. It was truly one of the nights we live for, don't get often enough, and keep us going for months. A great time, we had a ball up there and lost a good ten pounds. Me and that drummer guy swore we'd put something together with him as drummer so he isn't front guy for a change. Maybe, maybe not, but that's ok, things don't always work out.

rct

Sounds cool man!

Once you're there, the night always takes on a life of it's own, don't it.

A back up drummer.. man you couldn't ask for more.. over all, sounds like you done good. Once you get the energy rolling on the + side, and the crowd comes with, it's usually a winner!

(and geeze..I haven't broken a string in......,, never mind, I'm not gonna finish that sentence..)

(and geeze..I haven't broken a string in......,, never mind, I'm not gonna finish that sentence..)

Hey me too, I can't remember the last time I broke a string at a gig. I usually have two guitars but not this night. I had put them on that morning, I'm guessing just onea those things, a bum string, whatever.

rct

I set a personal record though, probably under three minutes to get a string on and tuned and stretched and ready for song, after finding my glasses! I was impressed.

rct

It sounded killer. the P90s bite like a rabid dog! (normally that would be bad, but in this case it was good!)

Beautiful guitar. I wish I'd not sold mine to buy the Firebird (which I have now got rid of). It's the closest thing to a Pete Townsend one, but with a tuno-matic bridge, and very good value for money, too. [thumbup]

after finding my glasses!

no kidding! I have to keep multiple pairs lying around so I don't spend so much time looking for them that I forget why I needed them in the first place.. cripes!

Andy (I wish I'd not sold mine to buy the Firebird (which I have now got rid of).

I know your regrets, of these, I've made a few...

Archived