Gibson Brands Forums

worst whiskey, rum, vodka etc.....

saturn

... other brands Knob Creek and Maker's Mark

My favorite is Knob Creek Smoked Maple Bourbon. I know hard core bourbon drinkers probably disagree but I love its smoky sweetness.

Southern Comfort is totally foul! 💩

My ex used to drink the 100 proof mixed with Dr Pepper - but it really was sneaky to drink. She could sit there and not feel slightest buzz until she stood up and fell over. Worst stuff I ever had was some cheap Mexican tequila - I don't remember the brand but the hangover was there for days!

Here in Spain everyone drinks Gin, Gin tonic rules... Personally I can't stand it, much to perfumy. I don't like most alcohol but if I'm gonna have a mixed drink it will be an Absolute or Grey Goose vodka with lemon soda. Very nice in summer! If I'm gonna have something straight up it will be a nice Coniack or Brandy... Spain has some amazing Brandies to choose from; Lario's 1866, Cardinal Mendoza, La Panto...etc. Anyone ever try any of these?

Yes. And your Cava. Sweeter than French, Italian, or California. It's own sparkling thing that really does it with a good evening of tapas. Which we don't have anymore since Amada closed. So thanks, I'm really jonesing now.

I have two Cavas in the fridge right now, a rose and a pale yellow!

rct

I'm a chemist but I've worked in the laser industry for the past 36 years. About 16 years ago I had an installation at a solar plant in Williamsburg, VA. My business partner, also a chemist was on the trip. We stayed at an Embassy Suites because they had a free happy hour every night. One night we bumped into a guy who was a chemist for Anheiser-Busch who was visiting the Williamsburg Bud plant. We got to talking about the free rot-gut booze and he told us that his specialty was alcohol chemistry and he not only knew beer but also had studied Scotch Whiskey making in Scotland. He told us something that sticks with me to this day:

"The more you pay for your booze, the less poison it has in it".

And it's true. The Popov, Calvert, etc. give a much worse hangover because of all the poison. They are only distilled once, whereas Tito's Vodka is distilled six times which is why it costs more. Sugar and alcohol also don't mix well in the body. That's why MD 20/20, Southern Comfort, White Zinfandel, Riunite (we used to say it was Italian for Ruin Your Night) and Richard's Wild Irish Rose give the worst hangovers. Too much sugar.

So as I've gotten older and hopefully wiser, I only drink top shelf liquor and don't get very many hangovers.

I'm a chemist but I've worked in the laser industry for the past 36 years. About 16 years ago I had an installation at a solar plant in Williamsburg, VA. My business partner, also a chemist was on the trip. We stayed at an Embassy Suites because they had a free happy hour every night. One night we bumped into a guy who was a chemist for Anheiser-Busch who was visiting the Williamsburg Bud plant. We got to talking about the free rot-gut booze and he told us that his specialty was alcohol chemistry and he not only knew beer but also had studied Scotch Whiskey making in Scotland. He told us something that sticks with me to this day:

"The more you pay for your booze, the less poison it has in it".

And it's true. The Popov, Calvert, etc. give a much worse hangover because of all the poison. They are only distilled once, whereas Tito's Vodka is distilled six times which is why it costs more. Sugar and alcohol also don't mix well in the body. That's why MD 20/20, Southern Comfort, White Zinfandel, Riunite (we used to say it was Italian for Ruin Your Night) and Richard's Wild Irish Rose give the worst hangovers. Too much sugar.

So as I've gotten older and hopefully wiser, I only drink top shelf liquor and don't get very many hangovers.

Interesting stuff....[thumbup]

In the UK, alcoholic beverages are taxed quite heavily...wines in particular....a cheap supermarket wine for £4 a bottle can consist of wine with a value of less than £1.....:blink:

Low quality and often doctored with flavour and colour agents...

On the other hand...there is 'Scrumpy Cyder' brewed on farms from often waste windfall apples.....

A natural product of high quality and low selling price with low hangover potential compared to an equivalent intake of beer....[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Of course, triple distilled is better than just once, but I find the byproducts to be largely negligable to the poison of the alcohol itself... Depends on the dose, of course. But polish off an entire bottle of triple-distilled Smirnoffs, and you're still gonna get a hangover ;)

Jack Daniel's is not technically a bourbon, though.

True. It is Sour Mash which is basically moonshine that has been aged in oak barrels. When I have a chest cold I prefer it over Nyquil to help me sleep.

I drank a lot of rotgut when I was young and dumb and none of it will never cross my lips again.

I don't drink much anymore, really. Should I get the urge I'll usually have Monte Alban.

In the UK, the buzz for some years has been the quoted alcohol content in 'units'....alongside recommended daily/weekly maximum amounts....:blink:

A 'unit' would equate to a 'shot' of 'typical' spirit.....say 25ml....

So a bottle of Smirn @ 700ml would contain 28 units....which used to be a maximum recommended intake for a male in a week..:blink:

Recently reduced to 21 units....and 14 units for a female (no jokes please)....

Some immensely cool rock star alcoholics have drunk at least a bottle a day....and lived to a ripe old age....

Funny old world.....[thumbup]

V

In the UK, the buzz for some years has been the quoted alcohol content in 'units'....quoted alongside recommended daily/weekly maximum amounts....:blink:

A 'unit' would equate to a 'shot' of 'typical' spirit.....say 25ml....

So a bottle of Smirn @ 700ml would contain 28 units....which used to be a maximum recommended intake for a male in a week..:blink:

Recently reduced to 21 units....and 14 units for a female (no jokes please)....

Some immensely cool rock star alcoholics have drunk at least a bottle a day....and lived to a ripe old age....

Funny old world.....[thumbup]

V

Man - y'all are getting shorted over there. While there's no official national standard in the US for a shot (except in Utah where it's 1.5 US oz - 45ml) it generally runs about 40 -45 ml here.

Archived