Gibson Brands Forums

worst whiskey, rum, vodka etc.....

saturn

My god! I recently tasted the most awful whiskey I've ever tried (Cleveland Bourbon), and just had to share it somewhere. I wasn't going to join some whiskey forum just to make one post, so here we go...

Now I don't want to come off as some fine connoisseur or anything like that. I'm not gonna try to talk about the "nose" "oak notes" or "buttery finish". I just like good bourbon, rye, scotch, tequila etc. I just want something that goes down smooth and doesn't give me the shivers after I've swallowed it. And I don't try to get crunk. Just one or two is fine.

Recently I was at my in-laws ( my wife's step-mother) house and tried a bourbon she had in the house called Cleveland Bourbon. It was the most nasty stuff I've ever tasted! After trying it, I read the back of the label, and they tout some new method to speed up the aging process. Well, it doesn't seem to work! I've had Old Crow that was better stuff.

So. Anyone else have a "least favorite" brand of spirit to share?

Tend to agree on the JD, I'd rather pay $10 for a Jim Beam than be given a free JD, however it's still ok, compared to.....Bacardi! ...which is an absolute travesty to be called rum! Bundaberg is rum, Havana Club is rum, but I have no idea what Bacardi is supposed to be apart from revolting.

It's all a matter of taste IMO.....dry.gif

Our local supermarket has some 'rock bottom' price alcoholic drinks for the cash-strapped enthusiast....:blink:

Not tried many except the Vodka which seemed OK and hopefully didn't include chemicals or nastiness

IMX spirits are often 'mixed' so the pure flavour becomes less of an issue

Although a 'single malt' whiskey would IMO never be mixed except perhaps a splash of water....

Had very limited experience of bourbon....can't even remember if I ever did....[unsure].....

Mrs V just reminded me we did both sample JD a while back....

Rum for moi always ends up masked with coke or similar....

V

:-({|=

Rum is funny stuff. Agree about the Bacardi, but I also bought a quite expensive (over £25) bottle of some kind of Havana Club(?) 'aged' dark rum a couple of yrs ago which tasted like furniture polish to me. I gave it to my sister and her partner! [laugh]

Can't remember if it's Jack Daniels or Southern Comfort which tastes like perfume... :-k

Anything with aniseed in it. Ugh.

Cheap alcohol is just nasty. Don't ever buy cheap white wine.

Guest Farnsbarns

Rum is funny stuff. Agree about the Bacardi, but I also bought a quite expensive (over £25) bottle of some kind of Havana Club(?) 'aged' dark rum a couple of yrs ago which tasted like furniture polish to me. I gave it to my sister and her partner! [laugh]

Can't remember if it's Jack Daniels or Southern Comfort which tastes like perfume... :-k

It's Southern comfort.

I don't mind the 'aniseed' liquors.....mainly Greek Ouzo and French Pernod....

Associated with the 'French' artists' schools of painting and music....and even Ernest Hemingway....:blink:

It can fool one into believing that 'creativity' is being enhanced....

V

:-({|=

I consume most spirits straight up or in some cases on ice or with a splash of water. I enjoy a good vodka martini "up" with or without a twist or a good vodka Collins on a hot day. I can't stand gin in any form. Just downright nasty. I enjoy a good bourbon like Jim Beam Black label or a rye like Jim Beam rye. And I have a hard time saying no to a good VSOP brandy or a goon cognac for a nightcap. Good stuff.

Since Bacardi and Wild Turkey have both been mentioned, here's the epitome of nasty. We used to do a shot called a "252" in college. It was Wild Turkey 101 and Bacardi 151. That shot made more people puke than anything else I can recall. I personally can't stand anything made by McCormick. It was the cheap well liquor at the bars I used to frequent in college. Despite having little money, we always paid the extra buck for the better stuff. Eventually the staff got to know us and gave us the good stuff for the same price as the cheap stuff.

A few years ago, they were advertising the crap out of this Tequila called "1800", so I gave it a try. I'm not going to say it was the worst, but I was not impressed. It's about comparable to Jose Cuervo IMO. It might be OK in a Margarita, but not too good neat.

Here in Spain everyone drinks Gin, Gin tonic rules... Personally I can't stand it, much to perfumy. I don't like most alcohol but if I'm gonna have a mixed drink it will be an Absolute or Grey Goose vodka with lemon soda. Very nice in summer! If I'm gonna have something straight up it will be a nice Coniack or Brandy... Spain has some amazing Brandies to choose from; Lario's 1866, Cardinal Mendoza, La Panto...etc. Anyone ever try any of these?

Not sure about least liked booze. Anything aniseed I spit out.

Bacardi has never done anything for me and generally I am not keen on blended whisky of whatever stripe.

On the plus side my vote goes to the amazing Portuguese Macieira Five Star Royal Brandy. This stuff has got to be Portugal's best kept secret. It is miles better than Remy Martin VSOP at half the price.

Being in Kentucky, I'm around a lot of bourbon and have had my fair share. I'm going to say the Heaven Hill/Evan Williams brands are my least favorite. I'm not sure what it is about them but they're pretty nasty. Glenlivet 12 year old single malt Scotch isn't my favorite but their 18 year is amazing. The current flavors of Southern Comfort aren't my favorite but I've heard through the grapevine that more expressions, more of a whiskey flavor in different higher proofs is coming soon-ish.

Don't drink much anymore due to daily meds, but have always preferred Bourbon. I do not care for Jack Daniels at all - much too harsh and burns doing down. Jim Beam is much smoother and usually a little cheaper, Beams other brands Knob Creek and Maker's Mark are also excellent, smooth, and aged a little longer.

As to Vodka I heard a Russian expert once say that a really good Vodka should not have a flavor or aroma. I am not a Vodka drinker, but when I hear people discussing the different tastes, I have to believe they haven't been drinking the good stuff. [confused]

Jack Daniel's is not technically a bourbon, though.

Worst vodka, well, let's just say if you can drink Tescos brand vodka, you're not only an alcoholic but you'll probably go blind soon after.

Worst vodka, well, let's just say if you can drink Tescos brand vodka, you're not only an alcoholic but you'll probably go blind soon after.

This is the reason for the song 'Show me the way to go Home'.....

V

[biggrin]

Archived