Gibson Brands Forums

Rethinking the SG

SteveT2

I bought my SG, a 2012 Std, a few years ago. Nothing special just the everyday SG with the 490/498 pickups. So naturally I'm thinking great rock guitar, all up your face sound, which it does. In spades. So until a few months ago that's all I'd use it for. But after having it awhile and lots of dial twisting, both on guitar and amps, I have a couple Blackstars, I've really gotten some nice clean sounds out of it. Especially on the Club 40, that one has a couple voices on the clear channel. The one that doesn't break up is great for this guitar. I was thinking about selling it for awhile, not because I didn't like it but it was the one I played the least. Well,not anymore. It's staying right here

Mine's 6 years old now. The neck has advanced from being slightly different from the rest, to a little bit of trouble, to painful to use compared to the rest. It'll go this year. I love it and all, but I don't futz with painful necks.

rct

After a 40 year absence, from owning an SG (I had several as a kid), I finally bit the bullet,

and got (4) in late 2012, and 2013, and haven't regretted a thing, about that SG "Buying Frenzy!"

They've become my go to guitars, more often than not. Light weight, awesome upper fret access,

tone, and easy playing necks, Classic '57 Humbuckers, on all! What's not to love?! Though, other's

may prefer different pickups, I love the '57's. They're my favorite Gibson Humbucker.

And, Yes, they are capable of any style of music, really.

CB

Mine's 6 years old now. The neck has advanced from being slightly different from the rest, to a little bit of trouble, to painful to use compared to the rest. It'll go this year. I love it and all, but I don't futz with painful necks.

rct

Mine has a pretty beefy neck and frets too. It took a little getting used to but it doesn't bother me. Is that what got to you ?

I absolutely love the clean tones with both my SG's. I agree too the 57 classic is PERFECT in this guitar. I spend as much time playing clean as I do with distortion. Incredibly fun guitar to play.

I have the 57s in my LP. Those are pretty glorious pickups

yea, they can do a lot more than one would think.

Does yours have a baked maple fretboard? I have one too,

they certainly aren't just for the pile drives!

I'm not sure what the board is. I thought it was baked maple but a local builder says rosewood. I think some were maple, some rosewood. I could ask Gibson but I like it, whatever it is

Mine has a pretty beefy neck and frets too. It took a little getting used to but it doesn't bother me. Is that what got to you ?

I think more than anything is the difference between it and my...6 other electrics and my two acoustics. They are all somewhere between super skinny Les Paul and somewhat little bit club-y Tele. My SG stands out, round front to back, little to no shoulders. It is hard to play of late, I've used it only for rehearsing. I'm using it this week and if I am rehearsing and have to think about fingering because of the neck shape, it is going in the case for good and coming out when it is traded. I don't think about those things ever, shouldn't have to.

rct

I'm not sure what the board is. I thought it was baked maple but a local builder says rosewood. I think some were maple, some rosewood. I could ask Gibson but I like it, whatever it is

I thought all the 2012s were maple, due to the Feds raid, when they seized all the rosewood.

it's possible some were rose wood, a trained eye can tell the diff between maple and rosewood in an instant.

In my flea bitten opinion, it's never matter a bit to me (rosewood vs. maple)..

We have a "rule" here...Photos, or it didn't happen! [biggrin]

CB

I've posted it before, just the basic Ebony Standard. But here it is again. And with some friends. Aww,shoot, getting the file too large notice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

rct

You too? I never liked the neck on my 50th anniversary either but for me it was since the beginning. I never warmed up to it. It is a weird carve and weird taper and cannot put my finger on what the problem is.

Mine is too getting sold or traded.

You too? I never liked the neck on my 50th anniversary either but for me it was since the beginning. I never warmed up to it. It is a weird carve and weird taper and cannot put my finger on what the problem is.

Mine is too getting sold or traded.

I do think I gave it more chance than I would ever give a guitar. It started a bit clumsy for me and never got much better. I've had it out with the fellas halfa dozen times, and ended up picking up whatever Fender I had brought with me. It is good, somehow, to hear it isn't just me.

rct

I feel the same way, for a long time I thought I would learn to like it. It does sound great and I play certain songs on it but now that i have another SG this one will have to go.

I think Gibson tried to mash up 50 years of SG neck profiles into this model.

I'm trying to downsize so ideally I'd like to trade 3 guitars for one that I really like.

I feel the same way, for a long time I thought I would learn to like it. It does sound great and I play certain songs on it but now that i have another SG this one will have to go.

I think Gibson tried to mash up 50 years of SG neck profiles into this model.

I'm trying to downsize so ideally I'd like to trade 3 guitars for one that I really like.

I did that last year, three went out and an M-36 came in. I think the SG is going in August for a particular Tele I might like to have.

rct

Archived