Gibson Brands Forums

First Rock song?

jaxson50

Cool. Depends on your take on what's meant by Rock I guess.

So,as someone who considers Rock music as being edgier than Rock n Roll music, the earliest 'seminal' rock song that comes to mind for me is maybe this one (birth of power chord based rock riffage?)...

Many books say this is the one. However......

Ike Turner -

"...Anyway, we recorded "Rocket 88" and you know that's why they say "Rocket 88" was the first rock'n'roll song (well, they use the language "It's been said about 'Rocket 88'"), but the truth of the matter is, I don't think that "Rocket 88" is rock'n'roll.

I think that "Rocket 88" is R&B, but I think "Rocket 88" is the cause of rock and roll existing ... Sam Phillips got Dewey Phillips to play "Rocket 88" on his program – and this is like the first black record to be played on a white radio station – and, man, all the white kids broke out to the record shops to buy it.

So that's when Sam Phillips got the idea, "Well, man, if I get me a white boy to sound like a black boy, then I got me a gold mine", which is the truth.

So, that's when he got Elvis and he got Jerry Lee Lewis and a bunch of other guys and so they named it rock and roll rather than R&B and so this is the reason I think rock and roll exists – not that "Rocket 88" was the first one, but that was what caused the first one."

:-k :-k

Sister Rosetta Tharpe. She may not have invented rock n roll, but she damn sure influenced it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Rosetta_Tharpe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2gR6SZC2M

I would defer to Bill Haley and the Comet's with "Rock Around the Clock" as the first real rock

n roll song, but all that said, does it really matter?

Wynonie Harris, "Good Rockin'" (1948) this song was written and recorded in 1947 by R&B artist Roy Brown. Brown had originally offered the tune to raspy-voiced singer Wynonie, 'Mr Blues' Harris but Harris turned it down. After Brown had a hit with it, Harris reconsidered, cutting a version that upped the anti. Bouncing boogie woogie piano, tenor sax and drums and handclaps with Harris shouting "Hoy, hoy, hoy!" It all adds up to a glimpse into the future. Again, a young Elvis Presley was listening and in 1954, he released his version of the song. Harris's stage moves included pelvic jabs, lip curls, and evangelical waving of his arms and hands. All that became part of Elvis's stage persona.

Not sure what would be the very first song, if there really is one. I think it was more of an evolution that happened over a period of time. If you were to ask who started rock and roll names like Little Richard and Chuck Berry jump out...

Cool. Depends on your take on what's meant by Rock I guess.

So,as someone who considers Rock music as being edgier than Rock n Roll music, the earliest 'seminal' rock song that comes to mind for me is maybe this one (birth of power chord based rock riffage?)...

I'm liking your approach and I agree but my pick would probably be "Rumble" by Link Wray

I think that's also credited as pioneering the power chord, but what I love is how he fraps the open A into the D major. Just sounds badass.

Archived