Gibson Brands Forums

L-5 CES

David M

My L-5 slipped off the strap nut when bending over and fell gently to the stage during practice. Only damage was a slight scuff to the finish. Some came out with Dunlop 65 cleaner and polish but sadly some remains. What will buff it out? Suggestions!

Hi, thanks for the suggestions! I have Mothers Gold Scratch remover in the house and it did great on it. 95% is gone but he last 5% is like a pimple on the center of my forehead. Seriously it's on the bottom and you to look in the light on a good angle to see it but I am sure you understand. I just ordered the polish. Strap locks are next. When I bought this in 2011 the dealer that set it up made a comment about it not being original if I installed them. But after three slips and this one that I didn't catch that theory is over. Thanks again!

Hi, thanks for the suggestions! I have Mothers Gold Scratch remover in the house and it did great on it. 95% is gone but he last 5% is like a pimple on the center of my forehead. Seriously it's on the bottom and you to look in the light on a good angle to see it but I am sure you understand. I just ordered the polish. Strap locks are next. When I bought this in 2011 the dealer that set it up made a comment about it not being original if I installed them. But after three slips and this one that I didn't catch that theory is over. Thanks again!

Hi David,

Oh yes,.. I totally understand!! I hope one of those products works for you and you can buff out whats left.

Good luck there!

about the strap locks and original condition, maybe a little over kill. just keep the strap pins in the case in the event you should want to revert, and with Schaller's.. I've always been able to use the same screws that Gibson installed the original strap buttons with, so all I changed out, was the buttons. you can try that for starters, so the screw holes, etc... wont change.

A neck repair, heaven forbid... will devalue your L5 by at 50% in the 2nd hand market, and I would venture, cause you a lot more angst than changing out a strap button or too.. I think comparing one evil to the other, -- I'd be installing strap locks toot-sweet!

Besides, if you are never going to sell this guitar, than it matters even less.

Hi Ray,

I have Schallers on my Taylor T-5 and plan to install them on the L-5 as soon as Amazon gets them here. There was no strap nut at the neck when it came from the factory and I was using the wrap around type probably best for a folk guitar with no weight to it. I use it rarely out of the house for the exact reason of my mishap.

Doyle Dykes played it on stage at a gig I promoted for him and when he saw my strap set up he decided just to sit and play it w/o a strap. Should have been my first clue, haha. And it hasn't sounded that good since he played it either, what an amazing player! And no, I never plan to sell her.

Dave

Dave,

jeeze, Doyle Dykes played your axe!! NICE!!! That's a memory right there. yes, he is great. All those guys are. Best I got is a guitar strap that John Gorka signed for me! That's it! !LOL! (John, if you have never heard of him, is a writer/player originally from New Jersey, kind of James Taylor-ish in style... he's also great. we catch him when ever he comes around.)

My SJ200 came sans a strap pin, put one on about a week after I got it. I know Gibson does this for reasons of Tradition, but Cripes Gibson! just put em on these guitars already.

long as you know what you're doing, it's really very easy... was a bit undecided.. but I didn't at all like the way the guitar hangs with the tie off at the nut. I felt that I am gonna pay 4+K for a guitar (of which the L5 is probably 2x that) and not having it 100% playable in all situations I get into wasn't working at all for me. I use this guitar a lot, so it's got be as gig ready as it is "couch able"...

hope you can buff out the remaining finish blem. I'm kind of nuts about keeping my instruments in top shape.. A lot of guys don't really care, but I am not one of them, seems you are not either...

Best

/ray

Hi Ray,

Third time was the charm on my scuff Mothers did a great job, not visible unless I pointed it out which I never will! Just waiting for the wax to do the entire instrument.

Doyle came to Webster NY twice for two benefit concerts I promoted. I had him to the house for Sunday pasta dinner and did a repair on his Kirk Sands guitar. Ground wire broke off from a fall when it was in the shipping case coming here from Chicago. Not exactly sure where the wire needed to be resold erred, he called Kirk Sands on the phone and put him on speaker while I attached his guitar with a soldering iron. We actually jammed a bit and he asked that I open for him on the L-5 since he was going to use it that night along with the Sands and his "White Rose" Olsen guitar. He let me keep the Olsen overnight. The whole thing was a thrill on both occasions and we remain in touch. He is in Michigan this week. Search YouTube for A White Rose For Heidi under Doyle's name. There is a video he let me record of him playing the song in my guitar room on my Taylor 614 CE so I could learn it and he gave me the tab! I can play the song but somehow doesn't quite sound the same, haha. He is a great guy!

Thanks for the help.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have gotten to know Doyle, he recommended a Godin Multiac Ambience Nylon string to my son and wife who surprised me with one as a birthday gift. He contacted me to help with the set up and EQ positioning. If you go to hear him he is very approachable and say hi for me.

Dave

Hi Ray,

Third time was the charm on my scuff Mothers did a great job, not visible unless I pointed it out which I never will! Just waiting for the wax to do the entire instrument.

Doyle came to Webster NY twice for two benefit concerts I promoted. I had him to the house for Sunday pasta dinner and did a repair on his Kirk Sands guitar. Ground wire broke off from a fall when it was in the shipping case coming here from Chicago. Not exactly sure where the wire needed to be resold erred, he called Kirk Sands on the phone and put him on speaker while I attached his guitar with a soldering iron. We actually jammed a bit and he asked that I open for him on the L-5 since he was going to use it that night along with the Sands and his "White Rose" Olsen guitar. He let me keep the Olsen overnight. The whole thing was a thrill on both occasions and we remain in touch. He is in Michigan this week. Search YouTube for A White Rose For Heidi under Doyle's name. There is a video he let me record of him playing the song in my guitar room on my Taylor 614 CE so I could learn it and he gave me the tab! I can play the song but somehow doesn't quite sound the same, haha. He is a great guy!

Thanks for the help.

Dave

Great story Dave..

watched that YT vid, gorgeous stuff. I need to check if that tab available this is a beautiful piece and one of my favorites of his arrangements.

your taylor sounded marvelous..!

edit: found it (tab)! COOL!

Doyle is performing in my area this Friday at Willis Music in Florence Ky. He's promoting Godin guitars.

Oh wow, that's not too far from me. Well, under three hours. What time?

Hi Dave,

I have gotten to know Doyle, he recommended a Godin Multiac Ambience Nylon string to my son and wife who surprised me with one as a birthday gift. He contacted me to help with the set up and EQ positioning. If you go to hear him he is very approachable and say hi for me.

Dave

Really nice guy and put on a great show!

I'm sure he makes any guitar sound great.

After watching him, I felt more like selling guitars than buying one.

I didn't buy a Godin guitar, but I did buy a few of his CD's

FD2A4ECB-070E-4099-A2E6-FD9400801906_zpsvv4axngp.jpg

Oh wow, that's not too far from me. Well, under three hours. What time?

Sorry I did not see your post in time.

The show started at 7 tonight

16 year old Parker Hastings was in the audience. Doyle had him come up and play a couple tunes then they played one together.

Archived