Gibson Brands Forums

SG Bridge

Clayguy

I just bought a used 2014 SG off Craigslist which I believe is the special faded model. I was said to have been upgraded with gold hardware and deluxe tuners. The neck had chevron stickers over the dot inlays which came off as soon as the neck was oiled. The luthier I took it to for set-up told me he'd never seen a bridge mounted directly with screws into the body like this one had. I would be grateful if anyone could help me identify what this bridge is and if I should replace it. Thanks for any advice, pictures included hopefully will help.

post-85219-012508300 1493643375_thumb.jpg

post-85219-067680000 1493643428_thumb.jpg

post-85219-040898800 1493643442_thumb.jpg

post-85219-095873100 1493643458_thumb.jpg

post-85219-069870700 1493643476_thumb.jpg

I am not sure what you have there.. As far as I know, the mount studs for the bridge for any USA Gibson should never have slotted screw heads, and there should be a thumb wheel on both bass and treble side to adjust the bridge height.

you should remove the truss rod cover, and make sure that it's NOT an allen wrench fitting to adjust the truss rod. It should be a hex bolt. if it's not, I'd say the chances of this being a fake are high.

I am not sure what you have there.. As far as I know, the mount studs for the bridge for any USA Gibson should never have slotted screw heads, and there should be a thumb wheel on both bass and treble side to adjust the bridge height.

you should remove the truss rod cover, and make sure that it's NOT an allen wrench fitting to adjust the truss rod. It should be a hex bolt. if it's not, I'd say the chances of this being a fake are high.

My luthier was confident the guitar is authentic, truss rod has hex bolt, just perplexed as I why someone would mount a bridge this way. I'd add pix but evidently I'm at some maximum limit????? Intonation was adjusted by him.

My luthier was confident the guitar is authentic, truss rod has hex bolt, just perplexed as I why someone would mount a bridge this way. I'd add pix but evidently I'm at some maximum limit????? Intonation was adjusted by him.

The truss rod adjust has been one of the reasonably sure ways to check that it's not a chibson... So that's good news I think.

I've never seen a gibson bridge with that kind of stud setting, but who knows what they do with these product line off shoots they put out in the market. The faded series are the lower cost variants so maybe it's a way to cut some of the production costs.

A call to Customer Service would be the definitive way to answer all questions, but the ppl who dwell here who are not Gibson employees, while not experts on every matter, do try to help.

For photos, most of us use photobucket, and we just deal with the popup adds, which are more than annoying... upload the photo to your library,, when you are viewing the photo, there's a box on the right with 3 or 4 links. Click on the bottom one (img) and that will copy the link to your copy/paste buffer, then just past that link here into a new post or reply edit window.

I agree with kidblast on this, reach out to Gibson. Gibson will be able to tell you what it is and when it was made. With how heavily modified this is, it could be a Special as the 2014 model had 24 frets like this. How does it play and sound after your luthier worked on it?

Archived