Gibson Brands Forums

Snarks and Performing

I apologize for the tone of this post it seems so negative but does anyone else think it looks kind of ugly or is too distracting when a performer leaves the Snark on the headstock? I saw someone singing at an open mic with a nice Gibson and the Snark was clamped over the "Gibson". It immediately looked "wrong" to me. It was a real gut feeling and the certitude I felt caught me off guard. It isn't brand loyalty or guitar snobbery, I just thought that it really looked ugly up there. It kind of marred the aesthetic.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the clip-on tuners on head stocks all the time. It doesn't bother me. I personally don't do it because someone told me years ago that it contributes to lessening the vibration of the head stock. Don't know if it does or not, but my tuner is usually on a table at my side, along with my harmonicas, and picks. You do what works for you and don't waste any time fretting (pardon the pun) over what someone else is doing.

This is one reason why I like the planet Waves mini head stock tuners. they're pretty discrete and sit nicely on the back of the head stock.

I don't leave em on as a rule tho, the rubber will mess with the nitro if I forget to remove them.

This is one reason why I like the planet Waves mini head stock tuners. they're pretty discrete and sit nicely on the back of the head stock.

I don't leave em on as a rule tho, the rubber will mess with the nitro if I forget to remove them.

I really like the little Planet waves ones! Very discrete...I'll happily leave them on for performance if I can't use my pedalboard as they're all but invisible.

I am certainly aware of how much people's eyes effects their perception of music, but somehow I don't have that feature -- my wife calls it hearing with your eyes. We mostly play in string bands -- bluegrass, folk, old time, Down East, etc. -- both in jams and on stage. We often play outside and in situations where conditions change rapidly -- of course lightly built acoustic instruments are very sensitive to even small changes in temperature. In the bad old days tuning for jams was a dynamic nightmare particularly when playing with inexperienced players.

The advent of the snarks has tremendously improved the situation. Seeing all those tuners doesn't bother me at all, but music played out of tune -- even a little -- drives me nuts. So when I join a jam with a lot of snarks, I know the music quality has a chance at least.

Let's pick,

-Tom

yea, I've seen those.. what kind are you using Stu?

Ah I still have the little one on the headstock

But I'm tempted to get one of the soundhole ones because I like tuners n capos and things

Sal has one of the new ones , I've seen it peeking out

looks like Planet waves has two variants, the cheaper one has the green lcd, the other has a color lcd.. .....ooooh colors.....

it's 5 bucks more..

wonder what sort of shenanigans ensue if it falls into the sound hole mid song... good for a few laughs I'd bet.. I'll probably snag one, I like these little trinkets too..

Ok ok ok, I know, I should have a while ago, so here...

You guys tune?

Thanks folks, we'll be here all night long, enjoy the buffet and try the shrimp aurora!

rct

I now have 4 of the soundhole tuners- accurate discrete and easy to access,,,i've had one on my j45 Vintage for 6 months or more now and no sign of finish marring. This pic is angled, from straight on all that is visible is the tiny clip.

sj.jpg

Ok ok ok, I know, I should have a while ago, so here...

You guys tune?

Thanks folks, we'll be here all night long, enjoy the buffet and try the shrimp aurora!

rct

only when necessary...

and I don't eat sea food.. don't know how you guys do that,,,

My two biggest pet peeves are tuners left on head stocks and music stands or tablets clipped to mic stands on stage.

Very unprofessional and before you guys start posting pictures of professional musicians with music stands

don't bother unless you are in an orchestra it still look very unprofessional.

ahh that white rubbery stuff dipped in butter??

yep looks delish!!! LOL!

Took Mrs up to Bah Hahbah for her...50 somethin. Actually to Acadia. So it was her birthday weekend and we were there like 4 days. She had lobstah every meal. I had crab for one meal and I still kick myself for not finishing 4 days with all lobstah.

Galyns for her birthday dinner, just beautiful Maine lobstah and a bottlea Clicquot. If god made anything better he kept it for himself.

rct

Archived