Gibson Brands Forums

New EB Paradigm Slinkys

Rabs

Kind of sounds like marketing BS to me? anyone tried them yet?

https://ernieball.co.uk/guitar-strings/electric-guitar-strings/paradigm-slinky-electric-guitar-strings#P02021

Paradigm Slinkys are the most break resistant strings on the planet - GUARANTEED. Paradigm Electric Slinky sets provide unprecedented strength and longer string life while retaining 100% Slinky tone and feel. Ernie Ball's industry leading ultra-high strength steel is included in both the wound and plain strings along with a patented reinforcement at the ball end twist of each plain string to provide superior tensile and fatigue strength for strings that lock into tune fast and hold up under the most stressful playing styles and conditions. The coupling of Ernie Ball's Everlast nanotreatment with breakthrough plasma enhanced wrap wire provides added corrosion resistance and reduced accumulation of tone-robbing buildup and debris. Experience the first set of longer lasting strings that are worth playing with all benefits and no compromises. Gauges .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046

It could be all marketing, and I've not tried those particular strings yet, but I've been using Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings since around 1984 and in that time, I've only broken two strings (both on stage, of course). I use the Dunlop Tortex pick 1.14MM (purple) and at times, I hit the strings pretty hard and at a bit of an angle with the pick. I use those because I either wear down or break plastic picks, or used to. I haven't really had a problem with string breakage using Ernie Ball strings. With my guitars and the way I play, Ernie Ball has held up the best out of them all and I tried just about every brand that was available in the early to mid-80's until I found a set of strings that hold up to my playing. I'm not necessarily saying that they're the best and that they don't break but in my experience on my guitars and the way I play, they hold up playing metal, thrash, hard rock, blues, classic rock, etc. Then again, I use a product called Finger Ease regularly and clean the strings after playing for a few hours. YMMV.

The singer in my band - who breaks a string on every gig usually - is being sent some to try out.

Will let you know. They're very expensive to buy.

Yeah me too..

I hardly ever break strings.. I also use Super Slinkys and have done most of my playing life...

The only new thing that has come along which I am starting to lean towards are the Hybrid Slinkys.. They are (I think) 10s on the bass strings and 9s on the high strings.. This (I think) gives you the best of both worlds.. You have the thinner strings for solos and the slightly thicker bass strings for chords.. They are cool.

The singer in my band - who breaks a string on every gig usually - is being sent some to try out.

Will let you know. They're very expensive to buy.

Yeah. I think its £18 a set.. But I guess IF they do last longer it may be worth it?

I thought about trying the Hybrids but if it ain't broke, why fix it?

I put a set of EB Regular Slinky 10's on my Les Paul last night to try it and went back to the 9's after just a few minutes. I liked them but it just wasn't what I was used to. If it's true and they don't break, perhaps your singer would do well with them. What does he/she use now? Do you know?

........perhaps your singer would do well with them. What does he/she use now? Do you know?

D'Addarios or EBs mostly I think. They always break at the bridge saddle.

D'Addarios or EBs mostly I think. They always break at the bridge saddle.

Which would probably imply that the saddle slots may need to be smoothed out a bit?

Which would probably imply that the saddle slots may need to be smoothed out a bit?

On every guitar he uses onstage - he only does it onstage.... [laugh]

He has ordered some replacement saddles for his Ibanez J Scofield, think they will be tusq or whatever graph-tech is these days.

That was going to be my guess too and I've seen that a lot. Is there any particular string that's breaking more than another? What kind of guitar/bridge/tailpiece? What's the bridge/tailpiece angle?

That was going to be my guess too and I've seen that a lot. Is there any particular string that's breaking more than another? What kind of guitar/bridge/tailpiece? What's the bridge/tailpiece angle?

It's mostly him as he does it on a Tele, an Ibanez Scofield and an acoustic. Doesn't matter which. SNAP! Usually a wound one.

It's mostly him as he does it on a Tele, an Ibanez Scofield and an acoustic. Doesn't matter which. SNAP! Usually a wound one.

It sounds like he's really getting into it while he plays. That's cool. He's just hitting the crap out of the strings, it sounds like. I get it and have done the same as well. I'd be interested to know how this works out for him.

I use EB Regular Slinks. I’ve tried their Cobalt strings too. I always return to the Regulars though.

I may well give these Paradigms a go too. They need to last at least twice as long to be worth it. Changing strings these days is more difficult with arthritic thumbs, so it might be worth it. It seems that the coatings used may play a major part to propping up this claim.

Elixir Polywebs are supposed to last a long time too. I have some on my LP right now (I had forgotten about them) and yes they are lasting beautifully so far.

I used EB Super Slinky for a long time back in the day. Rarely broke any, but they went dead pretty fast. Used to buy them by the case to save a little. Then I bought a Taylor acoustic that had Elixir strings that really lasted a long time and sounded excellent. So when I saw that Elixir started making strings for electric guitars I switched to them and haven't looked back. The Elixir like these new EBs cost a little more, but last about 3 times longer so I think it's a bargain.

I recall now thinking back on it in the early 70s I sometimes used Extra Super Slinky which I think was .008 on the high E. The package contained 8 strings, an extra high E and an extra B cause it was just a given that you break them [smile]

But my experience with coated strings has been great so these new EB probably aren't marketing hype, it does make a difference.

One of my many theories is that all electric guitar strings are exactly the same.

Ernie Ball Cobalt and Msteele certainly not the same, try a set of either of these and you will see.

I have been trying D'Addario NYXL Balanced Tension, a bit different too but I am not sold on em yet

Ernie Ball Cobalt and Msteele certainly not the same, try a set of either of these and you will see.

I have been trying D'Addario NYXL Balanced Tension, a bit different too but I am not sold on em yet

What do you think of the NYXLs? I have them on two guitars and I think they are decent but maybe not worth the price difference between them and my Super Slinkys.

What do you think of the NYXLs? I have them on two guitars and I think they are decent but maybe not worth the price difference between them and my Super Slinkys.

I don't think they are much different than the standard XLs, at least I've not really noticed except the tension on the B and E strings do have a different feel. I'm, trying the balanced tension ones in this case

The only strings so far that made me right off, notice a big difference was the EB Cobalts and M-Steels. Those jumped right out at me. Louder, improved touch response, longer lasting, and stabilize really fast. The only down side on the cobalts is they take a few days to break in, when you put them on, at first the feel kind of funky. But tone wise, there just seems to be "more" there.

The M-Steels feel more like what we are used to with nickle. I still prefer the cobalts once they break in.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got some & decided to conduct a test. It’s going to take quite a time though.

I am comparing regular EB Slinkies (10-46) with EB Paradigm Slinkies (10-46).

I fitted both sets of string this morning as follows:

EB Slink : Deuce

EB Paradigm Slink : Elite

I’ve already put in 90 minutes playing on the Elite, I will log the hours I spend playing on both. The intention is to play them for equal periods in order to assess the pricey Paradigms.

The guitars are similar in most respects. I’ll try to find this thread when I have anything to report

string%20test2.jpg

Yeah me too..

I hardly ever break strings.. I also use Super Slinkys and have done most of my playing life...

The only new thing that has come along which I am starting to lean towards are the Hybrid Slinkys.. They are (I think) 10s on the bass strings and 9s on the high strings.. This (I think) gives you the best of both worlds.. You have the thinner strings for solos and the slightly thicker bass strings for chords.. They are cool.

I just switched to D'Addario's version of that string set (9-46) on my 24 3/4" scale guitars and I love them. I agree that they're the best of both worlds. I wish they made an 8-42 set for my 25 1/2" scale guitars. I use 8.5-39 on those and they're a little floppy on the bottom end.

I always love reading about what other guys use for strings. In my short 4 years of playing again I've tried many brands of strings. A lot of Earnie Ball brands and slinkys, and none lasted long for me as they broke in just a couple months or went dead but then I just play at home and not up on stage pounding on them. I wasn't impressed much with them till I tried Earnie Ball cobalts and use those on my acoustic but just wanted to say has anyone tried Pure Blues .010 to .046 DR Pure Nickel? Awhile back I talked to Pippy and he suggested trying a set so I did and I love them. I've never broke a string and bends are so much easier. I also have had a set of Elxer strings sitting here I haven't tried yet.

In my gigging days in the 80's My Les Paul Custom never went out of tune or broke a string. As time went on,I started using S.I.T (Stay in tune) strings and stuck with them. I see that they are still made and as I use EB now I'll try them again. I've bought cheap Alice strings for home use and they work. But I wouldn't use them for gigging.

....has anyone tried Pure Blues .010 to .046 DR Pure Nickel? Awhile back I talked to Pippy and he suggested trying a set so I did and I love them. I've never broke a string and bends are so much easier.

Ha!

These in .011 gauge are the best strings I ever used by far....too expensive for me now!

The Paradigm strings don’t look like they are coated, but they feel like it. They also sound like it. There is a slight white noise ‘whisper’ overtone compared to the regular strings. I hear it acoustically but not so much through the amp. Used on anything other than clean setting and it completely disappears.

So far I’ve put in 3 hours on these, and 3.75 on the regular strings.

Archived