Gibson Brands Forums

42 HG-00

fullmer105

Hi folks:

I'm new here and am looking for some guidance. I posted this on another board, and they've been quite helpful today. I thought I'd try it over here.

Back in February, we came across this guitar in my father in law's attic after he passed. I think I got some advice from guys here but am unsure since I am losing my mind.

I have a what I believe to be a 1942 Gibson HG-00. The FON is 6035H. It had a cracked bridge and the buttons were dust. It is in it's original case which is in exceptional shape. I took it to a local guitar shop and he made a new bridge and put on new buttons. Everything else was kept original. I am sure this wasn't out of the case since the 50's, I found a 1957 Greyhound Bus schedule in the case for Scranton, which makes sense since that is where my father-in-law was from originally. It has his initials up on the truss guard cover. He would have been about 12 when he got this. I knew him for 35 years and he never mentioned he had this in his attic. This guitar does not have any cracks, just some dings and overall I'd say this one is in very good to near mint condition.

It needs a good home. How should we best go about selling it? Reverb? Ebay? another board I am not aware of? Thanks in advance for all your help, the folks here have been great.

Dave and Sandy

post-84169-028607700 1493992603_thumb.jpg

post-84169-081657600 1493992614_thumb.jpg

post-84169-046625100 1493992655_thumb.jpg

Hi folks:

I'm new here and am looking for some guidance. I posted this on another board, and they've been quite helpful today. I thought I'd try it over here.

Back in February, we came across this guitar in my father in law's attic after he passed. I think I got some advice from guys here but am unsure since I am losing my mind.

I have a what I believe to be a 1942 Gibson HG-00. The FON is 6035H. It had a cracked bridge and the buttons were dust. It is in it's original case which is in exceptional shape. I took it to a local guitar shop and he made a new bridge and put on new buttons. Everything else was kept original. I am sure this wasn't out of the case since the 50's, I found a 1957 Greyhound Bus schedule in the case for Scranton, which makes sense since that is where my father-in-law was from originally. It has his initials up on the truss guard cover. He would have been about 12 when he got this. I knew him for 35 years and he never mentioned he had this in his attic. This guitar does not have any cracks, just some dings and overall I'd say this one is in very good to near mint condition.

It needs a good home. How should we best go about selling it? Reverb? Ebay? another board I am not aware of? Thanks in advance for all your help, the folks here have been great.

Dave and Sandy

Again, beautiful guitar. Reverb, Ebay and Gbase are three popular sites to sell gear. As for fees, someone may chime in but I think (think) Reverb has the lowest? Of course there's always Craigslist but that can be shady... Then there are reputable vintage dealers like Gruhns, Elderly, Normans, etc, etc that could consign. I'm not sure where you currently are geographically, but you may have one close by. You could always ship to a store but I like to lessen the amount an instrument is shipped. Finally, yes, there are other boards but I am new here and need to double check if it's ok to post other forums.

In short, it depends if you want a quicker sale/private/make a little less or try to get it's full markup in today's market/consign/potentially slower sale.

Archived