Gibson Brands Forums

Bass amp recommendations

AndyK

Comrades, I have pretty much zero knowledge about bass amps, but my son and I agreed that his next music purchase should be a quality bass amp. Being an old traditionalist, I'm thinking Orange, Marshall, Ampeg... and there my knowledge runs out! He has a Musicman Stingray bass, so would like to get an amp of matching quality.

When I had my Marshall JTM45, we put his bass through that, and he really liked the sound. Your recommendations would be much appreciated. [thumbup]

How much volume is needed? I recently got one of these little PF-350 Ampeg heads and it sounds amazing with one of their 2-10 cabs. They make a 15" cab too. I got the 350 watt model, but they also make 500 and 800 watt versions.

I have an Ampeg PF-800 head with the matching PF-115HE cab and have been happy with it. I'm sure the 350 and 500 watt models would be good choices if you need less power. What's convenient with the PF models is that the top comes off. You can mount the head on one side and there is a handle on the other. If you need to carry it anywhere, you just flip the top until the head is inside the cab and secure it with the handle up. The head and cab together are about 55 lbs. and the cab comes with casters.

Thanks Surf, that looks pretty good. I'm sure 350-Watts would be enough. [thumbup]

Yeah, it rattles the house pretty good with just the little 2-10 cab I bought. I could add another cab and it would probably seem even louder on a stage if I needed to. Plus it has an XLR out if needed for a big PA show.

This is the little cab I paired mine with. It's meant for the mini SVT head which is another cool option if you want something more traditional looking. The cab is a big underrated in power for the 350 head, but I don't need to turn it up that much and if I do I'll just add another cab as I mentioned above.

If you want old school, go with a Gallien Krueger 800RB and pair it with a 4X10 (Guild Hartke aluminum cone) and some type of 1X15 cabinet. For more modern stuff, I like the Tech 21 VT 500 and I'd pair it with a 2X10 and a 1X15.

Archived