Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Mustang GT Amps

Rabs

Cos that's just what the world needed ;)

I will pass on this. I will stick to my tube amps and leave the WiFi for the computer. It did sound decent but I liked the caveat of how it was miked. I am surprised that Chappers wasn't in there doing a shootout with the amp.

I thought they sounded really good! And, I'm a "Luddite," when it comes to gear!

But, I can certainly see some interesting uses, for them. So, I'll keep an open

mind, and...if I get the chance, I'll definitely try one out. Buy one??? Who knows? [biggrin]

CB

Actually, guys,, .. don't knock em till you try em. I have two of the V1 mustangs (a III and a IV).. for what they cost and what they do... they are pretty cool.

I have three very good tube amps, and they will never replace them, but.. these amps sound and work great,

The new GT amps have not been getting entirely great reviews however. Some of the complaints are switching capabilities, (which the previous Mustangs had a pretty nice setup) and the other is the stock speakers, apparently do not sound good according to a few buyers who are well acquainted with the first versions. Some are saying that Fender Reps are on site when the demos are made and they are "fixing" the recordings, which I find to be absolute BS if that's what's really happening.

The other problem with Fender is they have a pretty good reputation of leaving customers hanging,.. when they released the Version 2 mustangs, us V1 owners were basically on our own, "upgrade to the new amp (eg: purchase one) or shut up"..

I've never had an issue with either of mine, and I've gigged with them when the situation called for quick on/quick off, and they were mic'd.. they did the job.

Modelling amps are legit finally. From the upper end Kemper, AxeFX to the Roland Blues Cube and now Fender GT. You don't need tube amps to sound good. These new GT amps are also very affordable. I see many bands gigging with modelling amps or PODs, etc and you never hear anyone (except snobby musicians) commenting that the guitar did not sound like a real amp. Your audience has no idea.

It's a good time to be a guitar player at any budget. I have a Kemper and my tube amps never get played.

I reluctantly agree with Drog, I own tubes and modeling and I use the latter much more often. More and more you are seeing the lack of amplifiers on stage. I own a tube amp to satisfy my inner snob.

Actually, guys,, .. don't knock em till you try em. I have two of the V1 mustangs (a III and a IV).. for what they cost and what they do... they are pretty cool.

I have three very good tube amps, and they will never replace them, but.. these amps sound and work great,

The new GT amps have not been getting entirely great reviews however. Some of the complaints are switching capabilities, (which the previous Mustangs had a pretty nice setup) and the other is the stock speakers, apparently do not sound good according to a few buyers who are well acquainted with the first versions. Some are saying that Fender Reps are on site when the demos are made and they are "fixing" the recordings, which I find to be absolute BS if that's what's really happening.

The other problem with Fender is they have a pretty good reputation of leaving customers hanging,.. when they released the Version 2 mustangs, us V1 owners were basically on our own, "upgrade to the new amp (eg: purchase one) or shut up"..

I've never had an issue with either of mine, and I've gigged with them when the situation called for quick on/quick off, and they were mic'd.. they did the job.

I have a Fender Mustang I at home. I plugged it into my computer, did a firmware upgrade and a restart and all is well. As cheap as they are, new versions are easy to upgrade to if you need those features of the new amps. I can use the FUSE software to model the sound. I can use the amp into my computer and Reaper to record myself without anything special. It's fun for home use but at 10 watts, I'll be using the others to play with in a band. It's kind of cool being able to have multiple amp sounds and combinations and effects as well. I think I get 30 presets and can edit those for a possibility of thousands of different sounds. It'll never take the place of my other amps but being easy to sit on my desk and plug into my computer and play, it can't be beat for the cost.

Modelling amps are legit finally. From the upper end Kemper, AxeFX to the Roland Blues Cube and now Fender GT. You don't need tube amps to sound good. These new GT amps are also very affordable. I see many bands gigging with modelling amps or PODs, etc and you never hear anyone (except snobby musicians) commenting that the guitar did not sound like a real amp. Your audience has no idea.

It's a good time to be a guitar player at any budget. I have a Kemper and my tube amps never get played.

the last gig I used a mustang IV on, (it was about a year and a half ago) I had some one (another player) at the event come up when we were tearing down and asked what I was using. Said it "looked" like an HR Deville 2x12 but not quite, and noticed I using Fender foot switches, (2 and 4 button) and no floor pedal board

I pulled them amp cover off and showed him what it was. He was pretty surprised it was a Mustang..

him: "Wow and I thought those modeling amps were junk"..

me: "But it didn't sound like junk right?"

him: "no.. not at all"...

I still use my tube amps, and I do depend on them, and know exactly what I'm getting. but sometimes, I just don't have the time and room to set it all up and get it off the stage in the allotted time if it's a multi band gig. This is where these kind of amps come in very handy. As I said, they DO do the job.

I have gigged a Mustang III before, a V1. In some ways it was cool such as being able to set models up sequentially for the set list but it just didn't sound like a tube amp. It was a great piece of equipment before I could afford my first tube amp and since then, it sits bagged up in my storage room, avoiding dust bunnies.

I have a Fender Mustang I at home. I plugged it into my computer, did a firmware upgrade and a restart and all is well. As cheap as they are, new versions are easy to upgrade to if you need those features of the new amps. I can use the FUSE software to model the sound. I can use the amp into my computer and Reaper to record myself without anything special. It's fun for home use but at 10 watts, I'll be using the others to play with in a band. It's kind of cool being able to have multiple amp sounds and combinations and effects as well. I think I get 30 presets and can edit those for a possibility of thousands of different sounds. It'll never take the place of my other amps but being easy to sit on my desk and plug into my computer and play, it can't be beat for the cost.

My mustang III is 100 watts with a 12" speaker

4H

I thought they sounded great and I thought the Tele sounded fantastic! (although that was almost certainly 99% down to the player).

...I am surprised that Chappers wasn't in there doing a shootout with the amp...

I like Chappers but I have to say I preferred this guy's (Pete?) playing and this example of how a demo should be portrayed - not all batshitcrazy distortion - by a million miles.

Pip.

• 1 year later...

I have the Fender Mustang GT 100; which is the 100 watt with one 12" speaker. I love this amp! In the past I had a Fender Super 60 which is a tube amp and the Mustang sounds every bit as good as the tube amp to me. Also, I got the 4 button footswitch which allows you to use the 60 second looping capability of the Mustang. Now a days I'm just a bedroom player and I am very happy with this amp. I really love using the Fender app on my iPad to control everything on the Mustang. I am in my mid 60's and I love the new technology.

Archived