Gibson Brands Forums

Homemade pickguard...

sbpark

This was my first attempt at making my own pickguard. Was disappointed with a replacement guard I got from Terrapin (color was way off, fit was just ok but overall the pickguard was a bit smaller than the original), and couldn't find anything else that looked original form any other after market maker, and gave up on Gibson after contacting them a few times asking if/how I could obtain a replacement guard. I think it came out pretty good. It's not perfect, but it's acceptable. I learned a lot making this one, and I'm even half-tempted to make another to improve on this one just for fun.

Here's a few shots of the material The first pic is a stock pic from StewMac, the second is my picture of the actual sheet used:

GRMfLDn.png

eUtyFZt.jpg

Before:

rvpz8JM.jpg?1

Here's the final product:

vE2RzPO.jpg

TpUPNSO.jpg

Countless are the times I been looking at these sheets - nice to see one cut into action.

Very well done ^

I f you do order this stuff be very careful cutting it. StewMac recommends warming it up then cutting it with scissors, but very low heat really doesn't make it any more pliable, but with a touch more heat it will EASILY warp. I found that just cutting it large around your tracing keeps it from accidentally cracking far enough in to where your pickguard is, then sanding away the excess. It takes sanding really well. I just used a cordless dremel make to trim dog claws on the high setting, then evened everything out with sandpaper and then sanded in a bevel.

This was my first attempt at making my own pickguard. Was disappointed with a replacement guard I got from Terrapin (color was way off, fit was just ok but overall the pickguard was a bit smaller than the original), and couldn't find anything else that looked original form any other after market maker, and gave up on Gibson after contacting them a few times asking if/how I could obtain a replacement guard. I think it came out pretty good. It's not perfect, but it's acceptable. I learned a lot making this one, and I'm even half-tempted to make another to improve on this one just for fun.

Your work is more than just acceptable, from the photo it looks very presentable. Well done.

Archived