Gibson Brands Forums

Ordered NEW Martin, received NOS

drathbun

That actually is pretty cool! To get a truly new old stock, that sounds incredible, is a sweet deal!

New as in not in some store for years but truly still new in box at Martin...nice!

I bought my NOS CS-336, which was clearly still new in box at a store (3-4 years old), and a NOS Martin Marquis, that had certainly been out on display but sounded terrific and I got a good deal on (I too traded a nice Taylor in for that one - an 815ce), so was very happy in both cases.

I'm glad you were able to get the scoop to eases your worries!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was probably hanging on a wall at martin.. L&M needed a Martin asap.. to make a customer happy.. ,, Doug... the warrenty runs out in one year from new purchase,, you have a extention beings its a few years old.. If theres a issue with the martin.. take it back... voice your complaint ..

it was probably hanging on a wall at martin.. L&M needed a Martin asap.. to make a customer happy.. ,, Doug... the warrenty runs out in one year from new purchase,, you have a extention beings its a few years old.. If theres a issue with the martin.. take it back... voice your complaint ..

It was in a box in a climate controlled environment slim. I took it out of the box myself. I just needed Martin to assure me it wasn't NOS or refurbished or repaired or left the factory. The Martin warranty is lifetime. The L&M Performance Warranty is one year, but I extended it to two and will renew it one year each year for $45/yr. It is a bargain. My SJ200 that was used (2012) is under full performance warranty and I'll keep that going for $45/yr as well. They already fixed a number of loose braces for me for nothing. Great place L&M!

Is it over now?

Yeah, Cowboy. I had a nice long chat with the fellow at Martin who called me the moment they received my letter. I'm satisfied both L&M and Martin are, like Gibson Montana, top notch companies.

Yeah, Cowboy. I had a nice long chat with the fellow at Martin who called me the moment they received my letter. I'm satisfied both L&M and Martin are, like Gibson Montana, top notch companies.

Good! I know how uncomfortable something like that (not knowing) can make a person feel😒

Haven't been here in awhile, just read entire thread. Glad it worked out for you. I would have been concerned just like you were. I went on an acoustic guitar buying binge last year. I am obsessed with serial numbers and shipping dates. I check each shipping box for continuity. I bought 4 Gibsons and 1 Martin, a D-42. I picked it out of 3 I could view at Musicians Friend. They all looked good except one had a better pickguard, I don't like the "Bird Poop" pickguards. I like a nice consistent pattern to them. Little did I realize the one I picked was the newest and has "Centennial Dreadnought" stamped inside under the D-42 stamp. In 1916 Martin made the first Dreadnought. I was happy about that. The Martin quality control is 110%, absolutely flawless in every way. I give my Gibsons 90%.

BTW, I see your SJ-200 on the Facebook group page, very nice.

Haven't been here in awhile, just read entire thread. Glad it worked out for you. I would have been concerned just like you were. I went on an acoustic guitar buying binge last year. I am obsessed with serial numbers and shipping dates. I check each shipping box for continuity. I bought 4 Gibsons and 1 Martin, a D-42. I picked it out of 3 I could view at Musicians Friend. They all looked good except one had a better pickguard, I don't like the "Bird Poop" pickguards. I like a nice consistent pattern to them. Little did I realize the one I picked was the newest and has "Centennial Dreadnought" stamped inside under the D-42 stamp. In 1916 Martin made the first Dreadnought. I was happy about that. The Martin quality control is 110%, absolutely flawless in every way. I give my Gibsons 90%.

BTW, I see your SJ-200 on the Facebook group page, very nice.

Thanks Pete! I'm very happy with both my SJ200 (after extensive surgery) and my "new" Martin 000-28vs. I'm not sure I buy this "aged four years sounds better" crap, but it is an amazing instrument. I think the "aging" has more to do with being played.

Thanks Pete! I'm very happy with both my SJ200 (after extensive surgery) and my "new" Martin 000-28vs. I'm not sure I buy this "aged four years sounds better" crap, but it is an amazing instrument. I think the "aging" has more to do with being played.

Guitars will age, but I think from being played, the wood loosens up a bit. Although the wood does dry out with time. What happened to one of your SJ-200s?

Guitars will age, but I think from being played, the wood loosens up a bit. Although the wood does dry out with time. What happened to one of your SJ-200s?

Some of the back braces popped during the winter while I was humidifying the instrument. It was a particularly cold December and the RH% had dropped to 18% in the house so I made sure the SJ200 was getting enough moisture and I think I over did it. It swelled and popped a back brace. It was in the shop from January until April!

Some of the back braces popped during the winter while I was humidifying the instrument. It was a particularly cold December and the RH% had dropped to 18% in the house so I made sure the SJ200 was getting enough moisture and I think I over did it. It swelled and popped a back brace. It was in the shop from January until April!

Good to hear it is fixed, a cracked top could be a real bummer. I had wondered why modern guitars are so sensitive to low humidity. I am sure decades ago no one humidified like we do now. I did research, todays wood is dried in a kiln over a relatively short period of time, back then they aged the wood naturally for years.

Archived